Navigation: /b/ - Random [Archive] | Search | [Home]
RandomArchive logo

hey /b/ Anyone else live with depression and refuse to medicate?

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 10
File: feelsbadman.jpg (277 KB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
feelsbadman.jpg
277 KB, 2000x1000
hey /b/

Anyone else live with depression and refuse to medicate? Just feels cheap to try and "cure" something like that with drugs.

Just sucks when it gets to you and hits you hard.
>>
Yep. Just keep telling yourself tomorrow will be better. Every now and then it actually is.
>>
>>767594877
Yeah, I guess it could be. Just feels like time comes to a standstill right now.
>>
Yes
>>
>>767594768
What's cheap about it? This isn't a video game it's your life. Also, medication doesn't just magically cure you, it's just treatment to help you live a more normal and less painful life.
>>
I always think tomorrow will be better. It'll be the day I stop being too big of a pussy to an hero. One of these days I have to be right
>>
>>767594768
>Anyone else live with depression and refuse to medicate?
I don't refuse I just can't afford it.
>>
>>767595205
No you don't
>>
>>767594768
YES because with with positive thinking you can WILL your brain to create more seratonin,dopamine,GABA and norepinephrine, the chemicals responsible for depression!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>767595171
Growing up my father always drilled it into my head that I should learn to live without dependencies on medicine, it's why I don't medicate for ADHD or depression. I was taught to learn how to cope with it and understand it.

Besides, there might be times where I don't have access to it.
>>
>>767595264
Lithium is like $12 US for a 3 month supply
>>
>>767594768
Yes,everyday of my life.

Its not "cheap" if you use a combination of drugs/therapy to cure whatever is troubling you. Sometimes it works for some people,and others it has no effect. The only way to find that out is by giving it a shot,and talking to someone about it if the feelings are that intense.

I know that i dont choose to medicate because of the bad side effects,and because i have severe trust issues. Theres no way im talking to someone about my problems,when i know its something i can usually figure out on my own.

The main thing is also this mate: how long do you have these thoughts? If it just generally passes after a few days,then just deal with it. Its horrible when sadness hits, but thats life for ya.

And also: whats got you down? Anything youd like to discuss?
>>
>>767595488
I know when you're young you think your parents know everything, but your dad was fucking dead wrong about this.
>>
>>767595472
The problem with that line of reasoning is it doesnt always work. Every person is wired differently,so some people just cant only rely on positive thought.

Ive tried that for my depression,and it works for a bit........but it doesnt solve the intrusive thoughts from coming back.
>>
File: redvines_blog_01_hero.jpg (725 KB, 1280x777) Image search: [Google]
redvines_blog_01_hero.jpg
725 KB, 1280x777
I like my Red Vines a little stale.

When they're fresh from the large and round plastic container, they're too moist and soft.
I let those sit out in the open for a few days to adjust to my taste.

I really like them when they're from some old gas station that's by the highway but in the town of In The Middle of Fucking Nowhere, where the Red Vines are there, and they're in those little bag packets, but they're probably expired and have been siting there for longer than the cash register boy's been working there.
>>
>>767594768
Just remember, the day goes on...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHZr6P1csiY

We love you anon!
>>
>>767595205
An hero is the pussiest way out. Live your life to the fullest. Now that's fucking hard.
>>
>>767596124
I'm being sarcastic.Could you not tell the tone and the excessive use of exclimation points...
"Positive thinking" is a literal hindu meme.

If you have depression/anxiety, and not just being sad, they are completly different. You need to get on medication right away. Dont fucking suffer for years, get that shit taken care of right the fuck now. Go to your doc now
>>
>>767596475
How is taking your own life "pussiest"?
When you've figured out you just dont fit in society no matter how hard you try and that your life will never amass to anything, why is it wrong to put a stop to 80 years of agony?
>>
>>767595264
Walmart $10 for 3 months of generic Prozac, Paxil, Celexa.

Sertraline $12 for 3 months at Walgreens.

If a doctors appt is a barrier (it shouldn't be), Saint Johns Wort legit works as an antidepressant.
>>
>>767595725
Just inadequacies I've picked up as I grew up. Fucks with my confidence. I know I'm fairly attractive, but due to bullying from family and schoolmates as a kid, I've convinced myself that I'm unwanted. Among other things. I guess it just gets to you.

As for how long? From a hour to a couple of days, depends on if I can get myself out of my slump or not.

>>767595751
Yeah, but I've already made it this far without medicine, I feel like I'd be throwing away all the progress I've made since I stopped.

I haven't had suicidal tendencies in a year or two now.

>>767596359
Thanks c:
>>
>>767596573
You're quitting. There's literally endless possibilities out there and you're just quitting because "I don't fit in." Join the fucking club faggot.
>>
>>767596573
>When you've figured out you just dont fit in society no matter how hard you try and that your life will never amass to anything
No one "fits in." We're all struggling to find our place. Sometimes we do, sometimes we lose it. It's a constant struggle for everyone. "Amounting to something" is an entirely relative thing.

>>767596679
Quite the opposite really. Any coping mechanisms you've developed up until this point will still serve you well. Medication isn't a magic bullet, it just helps you to deal with the crushing emptiness, sorrow and terror that comes with your brain chemistry being all fucked up.
>>
>>767594768
>Just sucks when it gets to you and hits you hard
That's the reason why i medicate, to prevent those low points.
>>
>>767596483
It is my choice if i do/do not take medications to cope with my emotions. Going to a doctor wont automatically get it taken care of,and takes months/years to find something that works properly.

Once again: the reason i do not take pills is because of the side effects and my trust issues. And if things are really that bad,i go out for a walk to clear my head,write in my journal,paint,etc. Or i even talk to my close friend about my issues.

If it gets REALLY bad: thats when i just avoid people,stay in my room and think long and hard about why my feelings are so strong. Its a combo that works for me,but might not be helpful for everyone.
>>
>>767596769
>>767596939
I am not quitting, i am taking my life in to my own hands, i am putting an end to my life. It is not selfish, it is selfish to deny someone the right to end their own life.
>literally endless possibilities
And yet im out of options. Its not "i dont fit in" its "my life literally will amass to nothing and im no longer going to try to play these games to keep up to people who dont care about me"
>>
>>767594768
did you know 1 in 8 american adults take antidepressants? there's literally nothing wrong with taking medication if it helps your condition.
>>
>>767597041
Do they really stop the lows?

>>767596939
Maybe I'll consider it now.
>>
>>767597066
>Going to a doctor wont automatically get it taken care of,and takes months/years to find something that works properly.
But it will. I've been dealing with multiple diagnoses for the past 2 decades, and yet i had medication at every stage and alleviated 90% of the problem.
>side effects
Dont go on SSRI's, every other type of medication does not have toxic permanet side effects that SSRI's do. You have never even been proffesionally diagnosed or medicated,how do you even know you will have side effects on any medication? This is just unwarrented anxiety that you use as a crutch to not get medicated.
>trust issues
Who said you have to see a theraphist or psychologist.
I tried them 2 decades ago and nothign came from it(Ive done over 100 sessions of CBT,interpersonal etc), i dont go to them anymore and my psychiatrist knows that im not interested in mental theraphy and he dosent bring it up anymore. He focuses on the medication only

You're just making your self suffer because you might have an easily maintained side effect.
>>
>>767596679
Ah i hear you. It can totally warp your train of thinking having that stuff happen during your formative years.

The best way to get passed it is to remember that you are not unwanted. Thats a toxic thought you had repeated to you,and its not a helpful idea. My suggestion is to start working on a goal.

Pick up a new hobby/skill or develop one that you already posses,and work on mastering it EVERY single day. That way you will be so busy and focused,that youll start to notice the repetative thoughts start to slow down/stop.

Also: if it just occurs for a few hours,then youll be okay :) Go on a VERY long walk and thatll help sort things out.
>>
>>767594768
>I sought out help back in February. Glad that I did. It doesn’t solve everything, but it does help. I feel a bit more like me than I have in years anon.

>even if you can’t afford it (I couldn’t) some places will let you make payments.
(Which I can do)

>If you go and get a script for meds have em go through the closest Walmart. Only like $4-$10 a month.

>well wishes anon. It can get a bit better.
>>
I LIEK CHOCOLATE MILK
>>
>>767594768
I'm depressed but due to my country's gun laws I can't have mental illnesses if I want to own firearms, so I can't touch meds
>>
>>767597128
>I'm not quitting
>I don't want to deal with life's problems anymore
Jfc kys then already faggot. This is quitting. Nothing you say will change the fact that you ragequit the game early.
>No other options
Sell all your shit. Literally everything but your car or save for a bus pass, a plane ticket or whatever. Travel to a different country or state. Hop a border somewhere who gives a fuck. If you're going to just kill yourself why not just sell everything and travel the Earth? Be a drifter or a hobo? You get one chance at existence, to experience life and everything the world had to offer, and your just going to quit because your fucking sad and you haven't even tried.
>>
>>767597505
Im glad it worked out for you anon,but like ive already stated: it is my decision to go seek help. Its true that ive never been properly diagnosed,but going through that whole process is something id rather avoid.
>>
>>767597364
They can make you even more depressed . Depression isn't real in most cases. You guys are bunch of fuckin pussies
>>
>>767597925
Be an insufferable miserable cunt all your life then
(i know how you will respond to this post, so dont even bother responding)
>>
>>767597869
If he only has one chance why should he seize the moment knowing he will forget everything about his life after he dies?
>>
"Just feels cheap to try and "cure" something like that with drugs."

I feel the same way about glasses. I'd rather look at things naturally instead of having to use a crutch. who gives a fuck if i can't see the road or read a book?

Or insulin. maybe someone with type one diabetes should just try and tough it out. get off their candy asses eat a little less sugar.

maybe if i just think positive thoughts my asthma will magically disappear too...

i don't know you or your background, but i'm convinced this is the biggest line of shit you have and will ever have fed yourself. Get rid of that fucking ego or indoctrination or whatever principle is telling you that medicine is for the weak and get help if you need it. if you have resources to solve problems effectively, do it.

it's 2018. things aren't perfect, but there a lot of things out there. maybe medicine is NOT the answer. it very well might not be. some experimentation might be needed. there are different types of therapies too that are worth looking into.

fuck. you might just need a big bag of weed.

i just don't like to hear people trying to be stoic about this type of shit- thinking proven therapies are cheap, cheating, for the weak, shortcuts, etc.

or we can let bygones be bygones. i'm weak. you're stupid.
>>
>>767598163
: D I wont be though.

Im actually pretty alright to be around when im not in a depressive state.
>>
>>767597396
Glad to hear it. I'll shitpost on /b/ til the cows come home, but when it comes to mental illness I take that shit seriously, and I'm tired of society at large sweeping it under the rug or treating it like it's not a big deal. Good luck.
>>
>>767594768
Its not about it being "cheap", its literally about getting those neurotransmitters back in shape and mindset to something that wont leave you fucking yourself over. Trust me its possible. I did it with humanistic therapy, meds, and eventually psychedelics that changed my life. Eventually its just training your mind and now im living a beautiful life man. Take care and peace
>>
>>767594768
I used to self medicate with alcohol, drugs, pills, antidepressants, hell... even woman. I'd just find a random slut on CL and bang the shit out of her to give me a distraction from the shit in my life.

Then I saw the effects it was having on my body and quality of life. I saw a therapist and she said i should be on something but I don't want to mask how i'm feeling with anything anymore.

To be aware that you are depressed is half the battle. To be all doped up on medicine to make the day go by better??? Well you are still depressed and the issues are still there. You are just less aware of them.

Right now I'm struggling with making money to pay bills and not lose my house. I'd rather be 100% aware of the situation then mask how i feel with any meds.

Back when I was younger i didn't give a fuck about life. Now that I'm older I know better than just caving in to the easy way out.
>>
>>767594768
I was like this for a long time. I ended up going through alcohol rehab with no depression meds but then had some shitty stuff happen in my life- marriage was falling apart. I was thinking about suicide daily. I have kids and wouldn't act on it, but the thought pattern was very disturbing.
I ended up trying a ssri and my life is radically better. Huge decrease in suicidal thoughts.
I don't want to be on meds forever, but I needed more help than just positive thinking to break the cycle. Now that I am getting better I am motivated to exercise, eat right, sleep better. Hopefully these changes will allow me to quit the meds eventually.
>>
>>767598249
Because then something might happen that could change his mind. Maybe he finds his little corner of the world, somewhere that makes him happy or maybe he meets someone or experiences something life changing. He'll never know if he sits home on /b/ all day crying about whether or not he can pussy out and off himself already.
>>
>>767599215
Kinda agree. But IMO shooting yourself with a gun isn't suicide b/c you won't feel anything. So if he ends up shooting himself while seeking, then it's like death never happened and at the same time he found a blessed ground to stand on for the next millions of moments of his existence which is cool.
>>
>>767599425
What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>767599425
This is the dumbest shit I ever read
>>
>>767599530
Just my feels on the matter.
>>767599577
So is your post.
>>
>>767599425
Kinda feels disrespectful to all those that died an early death that would have begged to be in his situation.
>>
>>767599627
>he found a blessed ground to stand on for the next millions of moments of his existence
the fuck does this mean even?
>>
>>767599679
>>767599717
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afterlife
>>
File: Good Guy Greg.jpg (51 KB, 600x594) Image search: [Google]
Good Guy Greg.jpg
51 KB, 600x594
Depression is rage turned inwards. The cure is to forgive yourself.
>>
>>767599845
Take your meds
>>
>>767599912
I don't take meds. Not everyone is so crazy they need actual chemicals to bring their brain back to fucking basic operational level.
>>
>>767594768
Meditate, don't medicate
>>
>>767597869
you really don't understand depression
>>
>>767599425
This is the dumbest shit I ever read
>>
>>767600053
Clearly you do, because you're talking like a crazy person.
>>
>>767594768
SSRI's don't cure you, they make you crazier.

Put it this way, almost all of the mass shooters of recent memory have been on some kind of anti-depressant or ADHD medication.
>>
>>767599886
False. Please read dsm v
>>
>>767598281
depression is no joke, people that don't have it cannot understand what it feels like to be depressed
>>
>>767600327
Yeah I'm clinically diagnosed with it faggot. CBD oil changed my life.
>>
>>767600428
In your opinion. For me, gun is my #1 choice of exit. It's quick & painless & before I'm old.. and, like they say, old age doesn't come alone (meaning it comes with incurable health problems). So enjoy your death by old age cuck.
>>
>>767600557
SSRI's help millions of people. The fact that they were insufficient care for a few psychos does not show causation
>>
>>767600753
When I looked into getting them, I found the risks unacceptable. They're only clinically effective for about 50% of patients, and tend to cause an increase in suicidal tendencies for many others.

A drug that only works half the time, with those side effects, is not effective.
>>
>>767598573
people that are really depressed can't even get out of bed, there are levels of depression.
>>
>>767594768
keep faking them smiles, exercise helps, work yourself out to the point where nothing feels entirely real, and you feel like you can fuck anything up if you decided to
>>
>>767600668
I'm not saying that it isn't a decent way to go if you had to choose, but to say it is not suicide is objectively wrong
>>
yep, i have schizoaffective, the meds make me like i cant move its almost worse than being off them
>>
File: 5.jpg (455 KB, 1504x1000) Image search: [Google]
5.jpg
455 KB, 1504x1000
>>767600945
>objectively wrong
It's suicide from everyone else's point of view but not from the suicide's POV because it takes 0 seconds to lose consciousness..is what I meant
>>
>>767594768
I did something similar when I was a teen until it got so bad I started abusing anything from weed to cocaine for 3 months straight and then tried to kill myself. Only regret? Didn't do heroin, wish I did
>>
>>767600868
Not all drugs are the same. They work differently for different people. I tried Prozac and hated it, I felt flat. Went off every for over a year, started having suicidal thoughts. Went on Zoloft two months ago and my life is profoundly better, noticeably so to myself and my wife.

My real objection though was to saying that it makes people crazy- crazy people seek help but drugs alone are not sufficient to cure most peopl. I also do therapy and am trying to live healthier.
>>
>>767600668
this is not true, it is usually not quick nor painless because most people do not transect their midbrain/hindbrain appropriately with a bullet. You are much better off using nitrogen gas, that's actually painless.
>>
File: 1522185499010.png (77 KB, 657x800) Image search: [Google]
1522185499010.png
77 KB, 657x800
I only go out, when I have to work, I been single for a long time.... I use to have a lot of friends but for some reason I just stop talking to them, it's just me and my soul,
>>
>>767600753
I disagree have you had any personal experience with these types of medication i've tried 3 different antidepressants over the course of 3/4 years and they done nothing but exacerbate my symptoms of depression and anxiety i still feel as though my mind hasn't full recovered from those pills man.
I've been using cannabis to medicate my depression nowadays and have never been happier
>>
>>767601168
Yeah, no. Not only is loss of consciousness not immediate, in many cases you have a few moments to contemplate your poor decision which are undoubtedly full of terror and regret.
>>
File: shit.jpg (119 KB, 381x410) Image search: [Google]
shit.jpg
119 KB, 381x410
>>767601701
>>
>>767601618
Ever seen someone knock someone out with a punch to the head? Well bullets kinda do that, leaving you dead.
>>
>>767600579
I have read it. I stand by my assertion.
>>
>>767594768
Weed worked better than any antidepressants for me. It wasn't a matter of it changing my chemistry, but more that it gave me a chance to chill the fuck out. Find some good stuff, doesn't have to be super high quality (though it's better), get some food ready, a nice drink, get comfy, and just relax. The first couple of times it'll put you to sleep, or glue you to whatever you're sitting/lying on. After a few times you'll notice that you're getting less and less tired and more mellow or energetic, depending on what you get. Either way, you'll feel a genuine clarity that people like us could only dream of having. Best of luck to you, keep your head up, and don't ever give up.
>>
>>767594768
It fuckin helped me. Stop being overcritical and just get some meds.
>>
>>767602163
And what about the people that already depend on substances and are still depressed?
>>
>>767600579
Were in the DSM - V does it say that depression isn't an anger management disorder?
>>
>>767602574
Doesn't help everybody. Manic depression runs through my family; my mom, uncle, and gdad take the same meds and it works fine for them, but it gave me one of the worst reactions I've ever experienced in my life.
>>
File: 1524535180481.jpg (18 KB, 300x281) Image search: [Google]
1524535180481.jpg
18 KB, 300x281
>>
>>767603097
You mean alcohol and hard drugs that have nothing in common with marijuana?
>>
>>767603479
SHIIII
>>
>>767603916
Sure
>>
>>767595171
Afraid of pain?
>>
File: download.jpg (10 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
10 KB, 275x183
What if u just figured out why youre depressed and then deal with it? Depression seems like a sign that something isnt right inside you
>>
File: badass.png (153 KB, 769x595) Image search: [Google]
badass.png
153 KB, 769x595
>>767604808
No, I love pain it's the best.
>>
>>767605653
>What if u just figured out why youre depressed
Hi person that doesn't know how clinical depression works and has done literally zero research yet still feels qualified to chime in
>>
I have major depression and bad anxiety and I think bipolar isn't passed down from my mother and I can't afford the meds but tbh I don't believe in them anyway in my youth I took them a lot and nothing has changed I feel it's more of the individual changing their thought process which is easier said than done
Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 10

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site. This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.