Navigation: /b/ - Random [Archive] | Search | [Home]
RandomArchive logo

Evolution or Creationism. Which do you prefer?

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 259
Thread images: 24
Evolution or Creationism. Which do you prefer?
>>
>>676239517
I used to believe in evolution like most young people. Mainly due to college. But after I finished my masters in EE and started living in the real world for a while, I realized how silly evolution sounds. I mean really, you honestly think everything evolved from a single celled organism because of random mutations that get passed on through the generations? It sounds more ridiculous than the idea that a supreme being created everything. I'm sticking with the intelligent side on this one.
>>
>>676239907
>>
>>676239907
Are you Christian?
>>
>>676239907
derp

>>676239517
i prefer death
>>
>>676239517
Flat Earth master race B)
>>
File: low quality bait.jpg (16 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
low quality bait.jpg
16 KB, 600x600
>>676239907
Troll and a half
>>
>>676240191
Nah not really a member of a specific religion, I just think there is definitely a supreme being that put everything in motion.
>>
>>676239907
>>676239517

SAMEFAGE
>>
>>676240677
Well, is the supreme being still interacting with us?
>>
Science has already proved evolution. Case is closed.
>>
I dunno why the two theories can't both exist. It could be something just building us, just as we build upon our technology.

We discard old tech when it becomes obsolete. I don't believe in religion, but don't discount the possibility there isn't something bigger than us using Earth as a petri dish.
>>
>>676241185
That's how it always works: Science proves something and everybody accepts it
>>
>>676239907
>mean really, you honestly think everything evolved from a single celled organism because of random mutations that get passed on through the generations?

Yes. Because that evolution, that's literally the meaning. The ones who get good or useful mutations survive and pass through the generations. Eventually over long periods of time, evolving and adapting more.

The ones who get shitty or useless mutations that don't help survival, get rekt.

Not that big if a concept to try and understand.
>>
>>676241185

I'm an evolution guy myself, bro, but saying science has proven anything just makes you sound young/retarded. If you think science can do anything other than disprove false theories, then you have a fundamental misunderstanding of science.
>>
wel know evolution happens, we don't know creationism/intelligent design happened. so for the time being i'm gonna have to consider creationism implausible. but if the evidence is there... like if we find one of god's blueprints for the duckbilled platypus or something, i might give it more serious consideration
>>
>>676241294
That's like one half of the human population thinking the sky is purple because someone made it purple, and then the other half knowing it's blue, through observation and analysis.

It's a pointless and unnecessary divide among the population.
Why not just convince or ridicule those that are wrong? Getting everyone on the same page has no ill side-effects, unlike having a divide?

Essentially, creationism gives you "facts" based on feeling and tradition. Evolution is....fucking evolution. It's science. It works, bitches.
>>
How about the role of religion in this game?
>>
>>676241970
evolution could exist but god could have created the first matter of the universe, starting the whole process. now you can't believe in adam & eve and evolution because they're contradictory, but you could still believe gourd created everything and existence has been evolving and changing through its own processes ever since
>>
>>676239907
>after I finished my masters in EE
How the fuck is this relevant to the story?
>>
>>676241970
>Evolution is....fucking evolution. It's science. It works, bitches.

That alone tells me you're way too young to have a respectable stance on the matter.
>>
>>676239517
Okay, so let's say, just for the sake of argument, that there is a God and he/she/it is everything that is claimed for such a being.

Why then is it so hard to understand that such a being could, by design, create a dynamic system that starts simple and evolves within specified parameters to a desired end, or even one of many possible ends?

Why is it ALWAYS Creation vs Evolution?

WHY NOT BOTH?
>>
>>676241712
>but saying science has proven anything makes you sound retarded

I'm sorry, fucking what?
Science has proven everything, you dumb shit.

It's a process that can isolate false theories and inhibit completely new ideas through that ability.
>>
>>676242376
Unfortunately there is absolutely no evidence of a god of any kind
>>
Evolution is scientific fact. To deny it is to deny science.
>>
>>676242747
Just Curious: What would you accept as evidence of God?
>>
>>676239517
I prefer the Truth.
>>
>>676242593
Because it is stupid to believe in supernatural and made up stuff. Jesus didn't die for my sins you faget. Lol.
>>
>>676242376
However, there's no evidence for that...

That's essentially an argument through the God of the Gaps...oh, well MAYBE god did it.

Maybe there's a giant teapot orbiting Saturn...
Making an assumption based on no evidence makes you look stupid and that is no science.

If you followed the method, you'd come to a conclusion like Evolution.

>>676242581
You obviously don't read much Dawkins....
That's a take on a joke of his when explaining Evolution...

he says "It's science. it works, bitches."
>>
>>676239517
Evolutionfag here. I do believe in God but I don't take the bible literally. I don't see the problem with belief in both of these things. The bible, to me, is full of stories written my man. These stories are there to teach lessons. These lessons apply to current times. But why does the evolution theory piss of the bible thumpers so bad? People have only been writing things down for maybe 5 or 6 thousand years? do creationists believe that God is only about this old?
>>
>>676242608
He's right, technically. Science only DIS-proves theories. It doesn't prove them. However, pretty much all (including scientists) agree that "proven theory" is acceptable shorthand for "no valid counterarguments/alternate explanations exist"
>>
>>676242544
Most people assume that if you're involved in the scientific community that you can't believe in creationism. I have taken all of the same courses that any of you guys have. Physics and all. And I've worked as a professional engineer for half a decade now. Despite my exposure to the scientific community, I still believe that a higher power created everything. I've traveled the world and seen the physical evidence for both sides, from fossils to relics, and theology trumps science on this one.
>>
>>676242747
that's right, i agree. but i'm saying if someone believed in gourd for whatever reason, they could rationalize that he started it all, including evolutionary processes. i'm not socks-on-dick retarded myself tho
>>
>>676243061
"Any technology sufficiently advanced beyond your own is indistinguishable from Magic." - A Clark
>>
File: bin_laden.jpg (30 KB, 294x326) Image search: [Google]
bin_laden.jpg
30 KB, 294x326
Creationism makes for edgier shitposting
>>
>>676242953
Something that backs the claims of a holy text.

If someone was able to manipulate matter, read minds, never die, take me to a place of "heaven" then I'd say either unlimited advanced species or creature, or a "god".

Just back up what your holy text says and I'll call you the god of that religion...pretty fucking simple.

If Jesus came down, had all the indications of Jesus, abilities of Jesus, and was Jesus...I'd be a follower...I'm not asking for a miracle, just ability to prove what is written
>>
>>676242848
Evolution cannot explain the development of the eye, nor a number of other bizarrely complex animal characteristics for which evolution seems impossible.

See: the insect whose legs work on tiny, perfectly aligned gears. Yes, gears.
>>
>>676242953
Obviously, an observable god. Any god impersonification making use of supernatural powers in front of me.
Any other thing would be a tale.
>>
>>676242953
Well, I don't know. But just making up a God as creator is stupid, when evolution gives US everything we need to know. God isn't necessary
>>
>>676243093
If, using the scientific method, you are able to make observations and experiments regarding evolution that produce results that support evolution time and time again, then you have effectively proven something with science.
>>
>>676242608

No, asshole. You can repeat an experiment 20,000 times and get the same results, that means it's a good theory. But if on the 20,001st time you get different results, then assuming no variables have changed, it means your theory is wrong.

All we have are theories. You can't prove something is true, all you can do is keep showing that your theory continues to hold up.
>>
>>676243487
...evolution is the explanation of life from single cell, to human...
Remind me how it can't explain the development of one of the main tools for sensory reception?
>>
The problem with this question is that we are arguing about things we dont understand, because we cant, the human mind isbnot capable of understanding the world aside from what it sees. As there is dark energy there could be good, none of which we can understand and none of which we will. We always ask this questions, bur we cannot think outside the box, as we are locked inside of it.
>>
>>676243471
So, the eye-witness testimony of billions of people and documentation of these events OUTSIDE of the Bible, don't count?

Would you insist on being able to time-travel to that period and be a first-hand witness?
>>
>>676243726
If there are no faults in your theory, then your theory is true not just 'a little less wrong' than before....
A solid theory is a solid theory, not a weak theory that has held up so far...
>>
>>676243497
Have you physically seen the evidence for evolution? Did you visit the labs and witness the dating techniques being used, the cataloging of fossils, etc? Or are you taking it based on faith? Faith that what you read in a textbook and what is taught in schools is true.
>>
>>676243246
They could. But as some other Anon here already pointed out: So could a flying spaghetti monster or a huge ape magician
>>
>>676243870
Not when those people believed a star was a point of light that could fall out of the sky. not when they thought prayer could cure illness. Not when they had a lack of ability to think above what they were told by an old man in the village...

So no..I don't believe them.
>>
>>676243726
No it doesn't. By that logic aspartame causes cancer, and video games cause violence and sexism.
>>
>>676240603
no they seem to be opening the floor for a discussion.. but atheists and religious folks are gona rage either way, so I guess they know what they doing..grey area bait..*
>>
>>676243615
In a system where the God requires faith, wouldn't it make sense to operate this way? To create a system where there is no conclusive proof and can be none?
>>
>>676243377
Mhm, and not proven. And I'm sorry, we can only believe proven things.
>>
>>676243982

Any theory is subject to change based on new evidence, no matter how true it may have seemed up until that point. This is pretty much the defining characteristic of science as opposed to faith.
>>
>>676241294
We need to stop humanising the idea of God. The Bible can't possibly be meant to be taken literally. There is something bigger than us, possibly even creating and improving on life on Earth. Evolution doesn't disprove this idea, it's the only way we can quantify and explain this process with the science we have.
>>
>>676239517
Evolution by natural selection is the only game in town.

Belief is irrelevant.

You either acknowledge the facts, or you don't.

Creationism is nothing more than wishful thinking.

Bring it on, christfags.
>>
>>676243870
That Jesus sid exist is a fact, not so the whole magic stuff. How can you believe the stuff written in the bible? It is just stupid. You as well could believe in Star Wars as a fact
>>
Anyone here read Wolfram's new kind of science? Just bought it the other day and seems relevant to this argument.

Basically, the book is about how one can use cellular automata and other such simple computer programs with very simple rules to create incredibly random results.

Just a thought.
>>
Where are the transitional fossils tho fam ?
>>
File: cle3.jpg (7 KB, 250x155) Image search: [Google]
cle3.jpg
7 KB, 250x155
cant this be a place where we all can agree on the obvious fact that atheists are just as stupid for assuming theres no god, as religious ones are for assuming there is.. why not keep an actual open mind about things and maybe not pick this battle, afterall its a cowards fight when no proof can really be found. ur walking into it knowing all u have is words and opinions and u cant be proven wrong. why is being(feeling) wrong or right so important?
>>
>>676245144
>fam
>>
>>676245144
Somewhere
>>
>>676244507
Thank you.
Excellent response.
>>
>>676244439
Correction: We can only believe -provable- things. Clark's Law makes it pretty plain that if a technology is far enough beyond our own, so much that it seems magical to us, we would not have the needed understanding to even begin an assessment of it.

How, then, would we go about proving or disproving something beyond our understanding?
>>
File: flagella.jpg (71 KB, 350x263) Image search: [Google]
flagella.jpg
71 KB, 350x263
I can't believe there are still people that think a literal molecular motor just got thrown together a piece at a time.

If you take any part away the motor is useless.
>>
>>676244295

You can't prove either of those things, but you can show evidence either for or against them. As evidence one way or another continues to stack up, most reasonable people will side with the theory that has the evidence on its side. That doesn't make something objectively true.

Keep in mind that throughout history, the majority of people, including scientists, have believed some pretty retarded things such as flies coming directly from rotting meat (as opposed to sexually reproducing) or that the sky was blue because it was actually another ocean being held in the sky by an invisible barrier called the firmament.

All we can do is choose to believe the best theory we have based on the available evidence, just like every generation before us.
>>
>>676245144
Explain "transitional fossils", boy wonder.
>>
>>676245260
That damn princess girl. Haven't seen that movie in around ten years now. Time flies, huh /b/?
>>
>>676244431
Why would someone rely on faith? That system would be rather stupid. Which religion has the real faith, or doesn't "God" mind?
>>
File: retard.png (261 KB, 552x414) Image search: [Google]
retard.png
261 KB, 552x414
>>676245144
what do u think the concept is based off of..lmao also if u saw one the differences would be minimal at best from generation to generation.rotfling
>>
>>676245450
We can't we have to remain agnostic in situations like that.
>>
>>676245315
Aight thx fam xD
>>
>>676246104
Oh my god how are you this twelve years old
>>
>>676245618
empress*
>>
>>676245840
So there are none checkmate atheists
>>
>>676245538
But what was said is that once a single experiment comes out different to the 20,000 that were the same, then those 20,000 are immediately discredited. In most cases where a variant study goes against the majority, something is considered to be wrong with the single study, not the 20,000. It could be bias, which is likely the case for the few studies that pointed toward video games causing sexism and violence.
>>
>>676244710
It might seem like a reasonable explanation for the transition from certain species to other species within the same genus. Yet the scientific community still has no clue how life started in the first place. Where did the first prokaryotes come from over 3 billion years ago when the earth was essentially molten and inhospitable? Let alone the first cyanobacterium capable of photosynthesis, a process that would've been pointless from an evolutionary standpoint in the toxic state that the earth was in 2.5-3.5 bya.
>>
File: TamiStronach.jpg (60 KB, 1024x682) Image search: [Google]
TamiStronach.jpg
60 KB, 1024x682
>>676245618
Amen, brother. This is her now.
>>
>>676245450
There'd be the possibility of discovering the technology and the creator. Btw, I wouldn't deacribe that as God. God would be the creator of everything, also of the technology and their creators
>>
File: thisnigga.gif (2 MB, 352x288) Image search: [Google]
thisnigga.gif
2 MB, 352x288
>>676246271
>>676246104
>>676245840
yea pick ur battles kid..
>>
>>676245804
Why faith? Perhaps it is a power source. Just going by the Bible because I know it best, there are numerous instances where "power" was expended, sometimes accidentally, simply because someone believed it would work.

A lot of the miracles claimed for Christ and his disciples required a statement or act of faith which has always made me wonder if this is some sort of psychic energy use.

If it IS, then it makes perfect sense that the being employing it purposely keep it's existence a question of Faith.
>>
File: 1452063069680.gif (144 KB, 340x340) Image search: [Google]
1452063069680.gif
144 KB, 340x340
>>676246271
Clearly bait
>>
>>676243870
>eye-witness testimony of billions of people
At a time when only about 100 million people lived on earth, the testimony of a billion must be considered a fraud.
>>
>>676246455

Yes, I agree, that's why I included the "assuming no variables have changed" bit. Obviously it would be stupid to immediately assume the huge majority of results were wrong, it would require further testing.
>>
>>676246708
I think you misspelled Autism.
>>
>>676246640
Why can't anybody with faith show the use of such a power then?
>>
File: hurd.jpg (2 KB, 125x102) Image search: [Google]
hurd.jpg
2 KB, 125x102
>>676246284
omg he might really mean that shit..lmao
>>
>>676244710
This. My preferences are irrelevant.
>>
>>676246971
Nice thumbnail. Checkmate atheist
>>
>>676246529
>There'd be the possibility of discovering the technology and the creator.

Yes, eventually. But until that point we'd be incapable of proving or disproving anything.

I have also considered that this is by design. If this creator being depends on Faith as a power source it might purposely keep it's existence an open question.
>>
>>676247191
>thumbnail
kys
>>
File: Tiktaalik_roseae.jpg (84 KB, 800x484) Image search: [Google]
Tiktaalik_roseae.jpg
84 KB, 800x484
>>676245144
Google "Tiktaalik" and "Acanthostega". They are two beautiful examples of transitional forms between fish and reptiles.
>>
>>676244007
Dear moron:
Have you seen god?
Have any demonstrable evidence for for such a being existing?

When digesting scientific writing, there is NO faith in the process.

You see, other scientists run falsifiable tests to confirm or deny results.

Real, actual scientists show their work. Just like any scholarly paper, it is peer-reviewed, cross checked and must cite reference.

When you learn the process, you will understand.
>>
File: 1458513997839.jpg (190 KB, 800x500) Image search: [Google]
1458513997839.jpg
190 KB, 800x500
>>676247398
They clearly don't show transition checkmate fucking atheist
>>
>>676244263
So you presume that because they did not have our level of technology, that everything they did or thought was flawed?

I guess the Pyramids were supposed to be cubes?
>>
>>676247191
lmao why are u telling me? iv been defending evolution, but im also not a desperate ass atheist. so I understand why ur blindly proclaiming ur the correct one..lol
>>
>>676247347
That whole stuff sounds really nice and would make a great movie - nothing of it is proben, these are just statements out of nowhere. God might as well be a goat just shitting Earth. Why not go with the evidence that exists?
>>
>>676239517
This isn't a choice. Evolution are FACTS, anyone who preffer creationism is simply stupid.
>>
>>676247398
fish transitioned to amphibians
the living fossil the lung fish is an example
>>
File: cle.jpg (28 KB, 415x263) Image search: [Google]
cle.jpg
28 KB, 415x263
>>676247432
yes I have. iv also seen a man with a rams head. just cus u havnt seen outside of our "reality" dosent mean nobody els has. btw, have no religion and proud to not be some desperate atheist.
>>
>>676247432
You've just weakened your argument by lashing out like an edgy 17 year old.

You hate the idea of people accepting something based on faith, but that's exactly what you've done. I'm drawing attention to your hypocrisy. You have not seen these tests being done, and you haven't learned how to do the dating and the genetic sequencing yourself, so obviously you're trusting that the scientist who supposedly did it had done so correctly. Just like I have not seen God, you have not seen the science that you believe in so much. You haven't digested any writing. You've heard popscience in school and in the media, and you've jumped on the tough-guy atheist bandwagon. Your whole stance screams adolescence.
>>
>>676247835
Isn't that how every scientific theory starts?

"What if the world is round?"

"Round?!?! Are you fucking kidding me? Just look at it. It's obviously flat. Round.... As if... fukken retard."
>>
>>676246456
Evolutionary theory is not about the beginning of life, but it's adaptation over time.

But since EVERYBODY wants to discuss this topic instead of actual evolution by natural selection, I'll bite.
>>
>>676245502
>What is scaffolding
Nobody believes that. If you add a couple of pieces to parts of your "irreducibly complex" flagellar motor you end up with a perfectly good Type 3 secretory system, which many bacteria still use to attack host cells. Stuff doesn't have to arise fully formed, parts get repurposed all the time.
This argument was blown out of the water years ago. At least do a little research outside of Sunday school.
>>
>>676246456
LOL it doesn't matter if science doesn't know something now, it will eventually figure it out. Get rekt NERD
>>
>>676239517
The Universe evolved into God, OP
so Creatiionism
>>
>>676248325
he said not biting
>>
>>676248223
He can go to a lab or a museum and look at the stuff of he wants to. It you go to church you'll probably geht raped by the pedophile catholic priest and all you'll experience will be a sore anus
>>
>>676248312
Contrary to popular belief, not many people thought the world was flat, and in the 15th century, the reason Columbus wasn't at first permitted to go on the journey wasn't that they were afraid he would fall off the edge.
>>
>>676248456
Now that's an interesting thought.
>>
>>676248325
hahahahaha welcome to discussing religion buddy. refuse to take a side or suffer retardulation by way of not thinking for urself. brought to u by the human ego.
>>
>>676248676
Another youthful retort. Keep it up, I'm winning.
>>
>>676248163
True. I stand corrected.
>>
>>676248312
Of course, but it's kind of stupid to make up extremely far fetched Theorie which just can't be proven. After all you want to have a new conclusion in the end.
>>
>>676248735
must be the legal weed
>>
>>676239517
The Creation didn't happen
We have plenty of evidence in support of that
Evolution is the most probable theory
That a god created the Big Bang and let the world evolve on its own is probable but it's very hard to prove
>>
>>676239517

Hmmm... Book written by desert-dwelling, nomadic, goat herders?

Or scientists who use a publication process that weeds our bias through competition, and creates results and can test predictions...

Hard choice.
>>
>>676249088
this
>>
>>676239517

You realize we can make predictions with evolution... right?

Like... we were able to predict where the first walking fish would be. Like... EXACTLY where it would be. Both geographically, and how deep in the rock-layer system.

Tiktaalik rosea.
>>
>>676249004
So where is your proof then? You have no evidence and not the chance of getting any.
>>
Both
>>
>>676249052
Men can't have true knowledge because our senses and reason are limited
The only thing we can do is make hypothesis about the things we can't know for sure but that's a way to try to decipher the world
It's human to try to know more even if we can't know everything
>>
>>676248223
I am 52 years old, and you just pushed the button, motherfucker.
I am not a hypocrite.
You however are a wantwit.

Did you actually read my post, or did you just take offense at my calling you a moron?
I have dealt with your type before.
You pretend to be a skeptic.
But you are not.
You use some error filled "logic" to try to brush aside the scientific boogeyman.

Would you like to discuss Murray Gell-man, or possibly some Mayr instead?
Mayr can be a tough read for those unfamiliar with Evolutionary Theory.

Wanna take me on, pitiful lamb lover?
>>
>>676248200
Drugs are a terrible thing to waste your mind on.
>>
I prefer creative evolution
>>
>>676249628
I agree, it is human. But then you can only assume such things and most importantly, force your belief on others, as many religions do.
>>
File: oysters2[1].jpg (265 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
oysters2[1].jpg
265 KB, 1600x1200
>>676239517
OP the human race is a crop. A being we call "God" harvests our souls and consumes them.
Hence the shepherd imagery.
>>
>>676248724
I merely used that as an example, but there was a period when most of humanity thought the world was mostly flat.

There was a period when most learned people thought the world was the center of the Universe, and saying anything different was likely to get you killed.

EVEN IN SCIENCE there has been dogma that must be adhered to. ANYONE coming out with really radical or revolutionary thought or ideas were soundly put back in their place UNTIL such time as the idea could be experimentally tested. Sometimes this took DECADES, and the person with the original concept died a laughing stock, only to be proven right later.

WE DON'T KNOW as much as we think we do. We can't even quantify the laws governing our universe yet, though we know some.

Saying there IS NO GOD is premature. We don't know enough about the universe to make that statement yet.

By operating as if that statement were proven fact rather than abstract idea blinds us to the possibilities of a Creator God, and this weakens our science. No idea we have not proven completely false should be excluded.
>>
>>676250246
and what about that being's God?
>>
>>676239517
evolution created humans
in a time when humans were extra stupid they created god and said he created humans because humans need to think they know everything and need to be the special little butterflies of the universe
smarter humans try to tell the other humans this is wrong and point out why
but some humans still need to be special little butterflies so even if they can't refute the smarty pants humans they decide to create faith
faith is a magical kingdom that lets you be a total moron or murder or anything you like in blissful head up the ass stupidity
faith, why would you choose anything else?
>>
>>676250343
No offense man, I was just stating a fun fact. I agreed with what you meant, but not the specific analogy you made.
>>
>>676249807
I didn't start on real drugs until after such events. again. ur just being closedminded by saying that nothing outside of what uv seen, or understood to be possible, cant happen. but that's up to u to choose. im not concerned with it.
>>
>>676250687
shit
>>
>>676250149
I agree, that's why we need tolerance
Without tolerance we're fucked
Trying to impose your views on others don't work but also creates conflicts and violence
>>
>>676249671
Where did life come from? Let's start there.
>>
>>676243487
The evolutionary development of the eye through successive iterations has already been documented. You're either repeating what you learned in Sunday school last week or you're being deliberately dishonest.
>>
>>676251325
Nobody objectively knows.
>>
>>676239517
>you can't seriously believe in this 3000 years old book
>here's this ancient fossil is a couple million years old, trust me

Nice fact based argument you have atheists
>>
>>676251325
Good question
I think the only way to solve that would be to find a way to artificially create life
We could then have an idea of how it is possible to create life out of nothing, if it is indeed possible
>>
>>676249056
I wish. I'm in Ohio.

But if memory serves there actually are people who believe that we, and any other life in the universe, are all part of some immense whole and that our lives are simply this universal being experiencing itself in a multitude of ways.
>>
>>676251887
There is an old joke that goes around churches about that very thing..

>Science confronts God, says "We know how you did it. We can breathe life into the dust as you did"

>God says, "Okay, show me."

>Science reaches down to grab a handful of dirt

>God stops Science. Says, "Oh no. You have to make your own dirt."
>>
>>676251591
There are carefully crafted methods to date those fossils
There is absolutely no way to prove the veracity of the Bible
David Hume argued that you can't take the Bible at face value unless you put faith ahead of reason
>>
File: 145978.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
145978.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1440
>>676243487
Small incremental mutations over generations, spanning over a long period of time. the mutation that is best suited to the organisms environment, gets to pass its genes.

that makes much more sense and is backed by mountains more evidence than "GOD DUN DID IT".
>>
They MUST have seen something. There are hundreds of testimonies from everyone from disciples to average dudes in Bible times. Look at Saul. He thought that Christians were dangerous, and even approved of the stoning of Stephen, the first Christian martyr. You athiests may say, “The Bible is just a collection of stories.” Well, there's more evidence for IT than almost any other writing of its time. It's also the only religious text that cites actual places. It passes all the tests - bibliographic, internal, external... That's my opinion.
>>
>>676251591
>here is this 20 ton thing we call a airplane, it flies through the sky like a bird, trust me
those dishonest science men trying to trick me again!
>>
>>676252591
Lel. Never heard that before.
>>
>>676248669
Sorry for the delay, but I had to respond to an earlier anon.

Okay, let me repeat that evolution does NOT specifically address the earliest beginnings of life on earth.

The most recent developments can be found ar phys.org in an article published in April 2015.
Recent studies at U of Colorado at Boulder and the University of Milan have shown that it is possible that DNA-LIKE molecule fragments may have guided their own growth into repeating chemical chains long enough to act as a basis for very primitive life.
That is my paraphrase of the introductory paragraph.

In short, life can be SELF-ORGANIZING.
When my friends & I found out about this last year,many fascinating discussions were had.
>>
>>676241084
Yeah I'm still here, sorry. Was listening in on China.
>>
>>676239907
Can you say autism?
>>
>>676252591
Science is not opposed to God or religion
For Bacon it was a way to worship God, because God had given men reason, and with that reason they would able to read the Book of Nature to better understand the beauty of God's work
Because their senses had been corrupted by the Fall they could not fully trust them so they needed to perform carefully devised experiments so they would not be deceived
That's empiricism and it's still the method that is used by scientists today
>>
>>676249671
I love how your post amounts to "IM OFFENDED, THEREFORE, I WONT PRESENT ANY ARGUMENT TO REFUTE YOURS!! COME GET ME BRUH".
>>
>>676252618
>There is absolutely no way to prove the veracity of the Bible

Actually, that may not be true. There are several ancient texts written by contemporaries of Biblical Figures who were not part of the New Faith that confirm some of the events.

Just one example:

http://www.equip.org/article/biblical-archaeology-factual-evidence-to-support-the-historicity-of-the-bible/
>>
File: IMG_0993.jpg (88 KB, 472x502) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0993.jpg
88 KB, 472x502
>>676241666
Nice try Satan.
>>
Evolution or Creationism is illogical.
>>
>>676251325
I just provided the most recent findings in my post above.

We don't know now, but we are getting closer.

But that is not evolution.
That's origination.
>>
>>676252618
>There are carefully crafted methods to date those fossils

How do you know that? Are you an archaeologist?
You just getting their word for it right?
Most of the research are founded by the Jews, how convenient right?
Wake up sheeps
>>
>>676253667
Nice try Satan +1
>>
>>676252591
>science confronts god, says "I sliced a chicken egg with an extinct bird and brought it back, what have you done lately?"
>god says, ".."
>science says, "well?"
>god says, ".."
>science realizes its talking to its self again and takes a nap
>>
>>67624995
You're just trying to appease science by mixing true beliefs w/ athiest, evolutionary ones. Dude, grow a spine. The Bible is pretty clear. In 6 days, God created the world. A day is not a billion years. It is a day.
>>
>>676253530
Now this, I can get behind. This makes good sense to me.

And Bacon. When is bacon ever bad?
>>
>>676253823
Oh boy, here come the nazis!!!!!

Shut your pie-hole, you fascist asshat.
>>
>>676242376
Genesis was meant to be read allegorically so yeah evolution and creationism could coexist.
>>
Both, I guess. I think that *something* did create the universe we live in, and that it didn't just magically appear. But other than that moment the ball has been rolling and the creation of other elements through stars till the evolution of humans without much change from outside sources.
>>
>>676253667
Retarded christfags.
Go join your muslim buddies in a festival of false dreams and fantasies.
>>
>>676254066
>losing the argument
>muh nazi fascist

Drink your milk and go for sleep now kid
>>
>>676253598
But you can't prove that everything in the Bible is true
Even Locke, who was a religious man, asserted that there were passages of the Bible that he couldn't prove was right and that were "above reason"
The problem is that a divinely inspired text on which an entire religion is based must be right
If you consider that reason is the only judge then it's impossible not to doubt that there are things in the Bible that are wrong
>>
>>676253893
>REcreating anything...
>Pretending that doing so is better than the original creation...

With Practice, I could paint the Mona Lisa. That doesn't make me an artist on par with DaVinci.
>>
>>676253823
I studied that in high school
>>
>>676251591
>implying the bible hasnt been rewritten, translated and edited many times throughout history
>>
>>676243214
Which theology?
Which god?

Or let me guess...it doesn't matter. All religions just worship the same god? Right? That's what you'd say. That you just believe in a higher power, even though there's not any proof of a higher power. You just think that "science can't explain it, so there must be someone out there."
>>
File: gourd.png (500 KB, 738x1104) Image search: [Google]
gourd.png
500 KB, 738x1104
>>676242376
>Praise be to Gourd.
>>
>>676242608
nope he's right. science only have theories that disprove other stuff or have so far no given different results. it's more about high probability
>>
>>676253984
Francis Bacon
>>
>>676252618
Radiometric dating is veeeeeery inaccurate after a few thousand years.
>>
>>676251887
Miller–Urey experiment
>>
>>676254504
I agree. There are things in the Bible that make no sense at all.

But is that because the Bible is flawed in it's inception or because of Human hubris and fallibility in copying it from an oral history to written forms decided on by committee over a period of thousands of years?
>>
>>676254678
the point of the story was god don't talk

so glad you missed it
>>
>>676254972
'Proven' by any normal definition is just extremely high probability. You guys are just arguing semantics.
>>
>>676254972
Exactly
>>
>>676254815
This
>>
>>676254678
>With Practice, I could paint the Mona Lisa.

But you couldn't. Not in a lifetime do I think some random on /b/ could paint it, and you're naive if you think you could and probably don't understand what talent means. IDGAF about what your post was meant for I'm just saying, you couldn't.
>>
>>676254787
>here you see this picture that layer means is a million years old believe me

Nice "study"
>>
I'm up for some debate. I'll give my views and I want some opposition.

Firstly, how can anyone be for one religion? The probability of your religion being the correct religion (given one is correct) is 1/4200 (roughly).
>>
>>676243615
OK, explain to me how evolution gave the earth life in the first place? Where did the very first forms of life come from?
>>
>>676255236
>god don't talk

Just because he doesn't talk to you, doesn't mean he doesn't talk.
>>
File: 1409676505090.jpg (161 KB, 594x800) Image search: [Google]
1409676505090.jpg
161 KB, 594x800
To anyone presenting the "watchmaker" fallacy, heres a handy refutation to said argument:

i'm guessing you're thinking. "THIS UNIVERSE IS SO VAST, SO CHAOTIC, AND YET WE HAVE A PERFECTLY STABLE ENVIRONMENT. IT MUST'VE BEEN CREATED TO SUIT US. THE HUMAN BODY IS SO WELL ADAPTED, CREATED, ...... blah blah."

Firstly,The human body is riddled with imperfections. how come were still vulnerable illnesses, why do we have wisdom teeth, why does the oesophagus AND wind pipe go down the same area of the body (that's a choking hazard by the way).

secondly, if the world that we know and don't know is so perfect, then who created it?

"GOD, FAGGOT!"

then who created god?. checkmate, christfags.
>>
>>676255208
Maybe
But the question remains
What is the truth in all that? Which version is right?
I don't think anybody can reasonably answer that question
>>
>>676253566
I did present an "argument".
You either did not read it (most likely) or are too dumb to understand (less likely ).
Please reread my post#676247432

I gave a very simple explanation of how scientists verify each other's work.

If you still don't understand, then shut up and go back to church where what's left of your brain will rot, little lamb lover.
>>
>>676253738

what's it like being a fence sitter?
>>
>>676255344
Bob Ross would tell you different.
>>
>>676255372
No it's physics not geology
>>
>>676255690
Cuz we are fallen people. Before the fall, we were perfect. Now, we are not. Check out Genesis.
>>
>>676255690
Not sure if b8 but I'll reply anyway, in christianity god is eternal, he always was and always will be
>>
I definitely don't think there is anyone watching over us or an afterlife or anything like that but the idea of life springing forth from a soup of inorganic matter just seems silly.
>>
>>676255633
because you have long conversations with god, because your just so special

better take those meds
>>
>>676256184
>Atheist
>Doesn't believe evolution
OK how the fuck do you think life sprang forth?
>>
>>676256030
>you can determent how old is a fossil with physics

You just proved you're full of crap and you don't know what are you talking about
>>
File: considerthefollowing.jpg (8 KB, 224x225) Image search: [Google]
considerthefollowing.jpg
8 KB, 224x225
>>676255762
I'm not so sure there needs to BE an answer. I think just asking the right questions takes us closer to understanding our universe, even if just a little bit. That's why it annoys me so much that nobody seems willing to take a really good look at a simple question:

What if there IS a God?
>>
>>676256096
It's for this reason that Christianity...at least Protestant Christianity is wrong in several senses. If a god is omnipotent, omniscient, and omnibenevolent all at the same time, then we wouldn't be here having this discussion.
>>
>>676256234
>'long'
dude, youre missing the point. God talks to different people in different ways. Sometimes its short and succinct, like "NO!"
>>
The only reasons a person would still be religious in a modern society with access to unlimited information.

A) They were indoctrinated from birth and not taught to think critically.

B) They want what they believe to be true.

Every single person who is religious fits one of those two categories.
>>
People have the argument that there must be a creator because of our complex the universe is. However, does something being complex to you, make it complex? I think complexity throws people into the wagon of religion.

There is probably a life form out there that does not find it complex.
>>
>>676256234
I am merely pointing out the fallacy of your logic. That your only response is an Ad Hominum attack only serves to point out your lack of same.
>>
>>676256555
Radioactivity
Just check it on google I don't have the time to give you a lecture
I'm sorry your education system is shitty
>>
File: 1457815174590.jpg (384 KB, 1599x1064) Image search: [Google]
1457815174590.jpg
384 KB, 1599x1064
>>
>>676256555
Not the guy you are replying to but you are retarded. Dating materials on the earth partly the domain of physics. Look it up and educate yourself.
>>
>>676256844
there's no proof of that
>>
>>676239517
Who cares what I prefer? The truth doesn't give a shit what you prefer, the truth is the truth.
Evolution is a scientific fact. Anyone who thinks otherwise should consider suicide.
>>
>>676256755
>>676256861
if someone says god spoke to them

they are liars
>>
>>676256574
Because investigating questions is just as important as knowing which questions to investigate you scientifically illiterate peasant
>>
>>676256096
then by nature, god is a complex, all knowing being. By admitting that, you immediately contradict the previous statement of his creation being divine. why does god adhere to any standard he wants.

if a watch is so complex and intricate (that it demands a maker), then who created god. Saying that he's eternal is the last refuge for someone with no argument left to give, and even then it can still be held to scrutiny.

present any evidence to the contrary, and you sir, would go down history.
>>
>>676256844
Would that organism be a candidate for God?

"Wow! The universe is so cool and complex.."

"Pff. No it's not. Come here, I'll show you how to make one, it's easy."
>>
>>676256748
good thing that I'm catholic than
>>
>>676256574
I was talking about the Bible
Because if the Bible is divinely inspired it must be true to be credible
But when you study it you find out that plenty of passages don't make sense and if you consider that reason is the only judge then you are forced to consider that the Bible is false
>>
>>676255108
Do you mean radioactive dating by carbon-14?
Then you would be WRONG.
There is a +/- of so many years per distance of time.
It, of course, is greater the further back in time one goes.

It is not a situation where a 3,000 yrs old object has a factor of +/-1,000 yrs.
It might have decades off, but not millennia.

Go back 30,000 yrs, & it is possible to be a century or two in variance.

But something 65 million years old, could have thousand of years, even 100s of thousands!

But the object is still at least 64+ million years old.
>>
>>676243214
"I've traveled the world and seen the physical evidence for both sides"
i don't even want to troll, i just want to have the physical evidence for fukken god. you mention relics. explain yourself please, because st. pelagius hipbone isn't automatical proof of god
>>
>>676256917
>>676257087

topkek
Look everybody the shills for the highscore are getting nervous
>>
>>676257142
Careful. Even gravity is a theory. Evolution has a lot of evidence for it...but really it has so much that comparing it to Christianity is ridiculous. Really it should be discussed in a room where physics, consciousness, and other real factors are at play. But getting thorny over the issue doesn't change the scientific process.
>>
File: 1224141486730.jpg (31 KB, 500x335) Image search: [Google]
1224141486730.jpg
31 KB, 500x335
>>676255603
abiogenesis, all the basic needs for life, can be created from non-biological elements. Amino acids form from electricity, and simply put exposed to different types of radiation, can mutate, form rna/dna, into self replicating biological matter. To simply put it.
>>
>>676257367
Just because you understand something doesn't mean you can create it. So, I would say no.
>>
>>676256965
The reason there's so much "evidence" for evolution is because we mortals have so much trouble figuring things out.
>>
>>676256767
This is absolutely true. People cannot accept that maybe life is pointless and nobody was tallying all the good things you did so you can get your drive when its over.
>>
>>676255989 I like Bob Ross, I really do I have enjoyed his show since I was young. Bob Ross did not, and could not, paint the mona lisa.
>>
>>676257730
and the reason theres so much "evidence" for gravity is because whites cant jump like black people
>>
>>676257200
As I have stated before, ignoring any possibility that has not been completely proven wrong simply because you find it distasteful is bad science.

Personally, I'm with Bacon. I think that our creator -wants- us to figure it all out, made it difficult for a reason, and is waiting to see how we do on this test.

Your point of view is that there is no test, there is no teacher, and whether we figure it all out doesn't really matter except to our own ego.
>>
>>676256767
A is cancer as fuck. You get critical thinkers who were indoctrinated at birth. It's like a tumour that keeps growing as it's being constantly fed, you can't get rid of it.
>>
>>676257862
I was religious because I was raised in a cult just before the internet became a thing. As soon as the internet and youtube happened, I had access to new research materials and made the difficult decision to stop being a Christian. Most people won't stop believing in it because they've been believing it their whole lives and would feel as if their life was pointless all that time if they suddenly converted. It's an ego thing. Not a factual thing.
>>
>>676245260
>dear princess, i really miss you posting threads every two hours.
to the point, it's not a fight of 'pick your side'. neither is it a 50/50 thing. the arguments again the existance of a god are far below the relevant line to be even considered a realistic possibility.
>>
>>676258021
That would not stop him from trying though and should not stop us.

By the same token, believing there is no god should not stop us from finding out for certain.
>>
>>676256088
Read any good myths lately?
You seem fond of them.

Anyway, man did not fall. The rebel angels fell when the Archangel Michael defeated Samhael, the morningstar, who is also called Lucifer, but renamed Satan by his enemies.
>>
>>676257367
A god by definition is supernatural. Even if a being fit the common idea of a god, as soon as we met him, it would no longer be supernatural it would be natural, and therefore science.

Technology of today would be godlike to people only a few hundred years ago and yet noone calls modern tech supernatural, because it can be understood.
>>
Is it so difficult to believe in both? Perhaps we need to abandon the concept of religion but still keep the faith. No more rules and ceremonies.

The theory of evolution is almost undeniable yet can you really look around at everything from mountains to the complexity of moving your hand and say it is all coincidence? Personally I believe God is the painter, the universe his canvas and evolution his paintbrush. I don't think he his some angry, vengeful and egotistical sky wizard. Perhaps more like many pagan cultures believed that God was a physical being just far greater than any man who may or may not live on this plane of existence (another concept that can coexist with scientific knowledge).

Maybe I'm just a little crazy. I do study a lot of conceptual physics and metaphysics and take a LOT of shrooms... but it makes sense to me.
>>
>>676245087
That Jesus existed is NOT a fact.
For history to be made certain, you got to have two of each other independent sources stating the same thing.
New testament is one.

The next time anyone even talks about Jesus is 200 years later which makes it invalid since its not firsthand report.
>>
>>676258292
Interesting. I used to be an Atheist that converted to Christianity later in my life. I was not raised in a religious home, far from it. It was my own experiences that led me to the faith, that and a question from a close friend that I could not answer.
>>
>>676258522
>IDGAF about what your post was meant for I'm just saying, you couldn't.
>>
File: true.jpg (128 KB, 685x720) Image search: [Google]
true.jpg
128 KB, 685x720
Evolution just doesn't add up
>>
>>676239517
Creation
>>
>>676257489
Careful... Creationists dated a bit of the Grand Canyon, which is thought to be around a million years old, and it turned out (w/ carbon 14 dating) to be over 1.1 billion years old, which is the supposed date for lava that hardened in the MIDDLE of The Grand Canyon. Too lazy to completely explain. Google is your friend.
>>
>>676258829
To add to this
The Romans/Greeks during the period of Christ documented everything with importance. However, there is no documentation of Christ?
>>
>>676259031
>They're called niggers
>tips fedora
>>
>>676259031
Lol if you don't understand how evolution works then don't try to argue against it.

>lrn2biology.jpg
>>
File: 1452559412540.jpg (868 KB, 1500x1972) Image search: [Google]
1452559412540.jpg
868 KB, 1500x1972
At the end of the day everyone, the burden of proof lies on the christfags.

Making a bold statement and claiming it to be true with little to no evidence is kinda like walking around a parking lot with your friend and saying to him "There's three purple colored apache helicopters parked here, with cyborg dolphins sitting in the cockpits. they're somewhere around here".

can you prove it? no? Then you might as well not even fucking believe it, but at the very least, take it into account in the loosest manner, and treat it as near impossible.
>>
>>676241084
I reckon he is, but there are just so many people around now that you don't even notice it anymore. He still gives people gifts and stuff but no body listens because no body believes anymore. Society makes it "uncool" to believe in God nowadays. Makes it difficult man.
>>
>>676241294
Yes of course, god evolved then he created us
>>
>>676259031
buried in the ground
>>
>>676259630
>Society makes it "uncool" to believe in God nowadays.

How so?
>>
>>676241666
Then why are there still short skinny fucktards?
>>
>>676258649
>Technology of today would be godlike to people only a few hundred years ago and yet noone calls modern tech supernatural, because it can be understood.

Because WE can understand it. Pluck some barbarian from the seventh century and show him your phone, he'll call you a witch and try to kill you and because what you are doing is magic he will not sit still long enough for you to explain it to him.

What if God is in the same situation? What if we are just like that seventh century barbarian to Him?
>>
>>676259630
Have you got any evidence for this in the slightest? No.

And could everything in the universe 'work' without this deity? Yes.
>>
File: d5c.jpg (33 KB, 297x365) Image search: [Google]
d5c.jpg
33 KB, 297x365
>>676259031
OY VEY DELETE THIS
>>
>>676259031
There aren't millions of the first one either. Modern chimps are not our ancestors :^)
>>
>>676259630
>Society makes it "uncool" to believe in God nowadays

Tell that to 1.6 billion Muslims.
>>
Creation, because Allah is the one true creator, and it is through him that all things were made as they are. The Zionist media is just trying to steer us from eternal paradise, and force us to burn in the Hell fires.
>>
>>676239517
hotasianism
>>
>>676257678
Do you have any idea the complexity of that? Lemme tell u a story. There is a junkyard with supposedly all the parts to build a car. There might be some pieces, like cam shafts, that are hard to come by, but it seems to be all there. The next day, a tornado comes through. Now, sitting in the middle of the junkyard, is a car. This, in essence, is what evolutionists believe.
>>
>>676239907
I might believe in creationism if every creationist who tried to convert me wasn't pants-on-head retarded. When I went to Sunday School, this one teacher was a nurse as her primary job, and she told us that natural selection doesn't exist. Like, what, bitch? The strongest organisms don't survive? Their genes don't carry on? How can you not believe that? It's common sense.

She was A NURSE. She had education! I couldn't believe it.
>>
>>676255246
but we aren't talking about a normal definition. we are talking scientifically accurate definition. just as a scientific theory is different from the normal use of the word theory
>>
>>676259142
Actually I DO have a caveat:
Objects older than about 60,000 years are not tested via radiocarbon-14.

There is not enough carbon in them to make an accurate measurement.

Mea culpa.
>>
>>676243377
"it shouldn't even be called magic" ~Hojo
>>
>>676259008
Yeah...as I said it's an ego thing. The fact that you couldn't answer your friend's question led you to Christianity, and now you're happier leading a life of humility. Or so it sounds. There once was a zen tale that I heard a while back...a man converted from christianity, to atheism, then to buddhism, then finally stopped converting. One of his friends asked him if buddhism was the answer since he stopped. He said that he didn't know, and it didn't matter, because either way he was finally at peace.
Thread replies: 259
Thread images: 24

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site. This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.