Navigation: /b/ - Random [Archive] | Search | [Home]
RandomArchive logo

Isn't the complaining about cultural appropriation really

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1
File: e1f.jpg (29 KB, 665x333) Image search: [Google]
e1f.jpg
29 KB, 665x333
Isn't the complaining about cultural appropriation really just the discriminatory promotion of "racial and cultural purity"?

"I. e if you are not this race and/or culture, you cannot look like this. Conform."

How on Earth is this not considered racism? That if you are "this", you automatically cannot be "that".
>>
>>767544898
Everyone knows those slant eyed gooks are a bunch of racists
>>
>>767544898
It's quite evident from the photo that it is her prom dress
>>
Pretty much. Cultural Appropriation is just an excuse to rap white people on the knuckles for being naughty. Nobody in their right mind would bitch about a black guy dressing "too European"
>>
>>767544898
I am a lefty, but I never actually got this cultural appropriation meme. Nobody actually even tries to explain why it is even considered bad. People usually go "Well. this is a complicated issue, I can't really explain it, but white cultural appropriation bad, balck - good".
People seem to miss that whole evolution of humanity is based on cultural exchange and appropriation.
>>
>>767544898
why don't all these chinks and gooks and natives (they said you couldn't dress up like them ever too) wear their national dress every day of the week instead of buying white people clothing and fashion then
>>
>>767545031
They are just disgusting pawns in the overall effort to overthrow the capitalist West. The more they bitch and moan the closer we get to complete negation of the western world. There was an old KGB defector who laid the whole tactic out 30 years ago. It's on YouTube, I just sent remember his name.
>>
>>767545122
This
>>
>>767545064

Correct. How do you think the Ancient Greeks and Romans achieved so much prominence in modern culture? Because of cultural appropriation.
>>
PC culture and cultural appropriation and all the rest is just a way to tear down white Europeans and north Americans. Brown is good, white is bad. Repeat until shit skins have everything they want, i.e., Whites in mass graves.
>>
>>767544898
Fuck the double standard of cultural appropriation.
Niggers need to wear loincloths, stop using modern technology, even the wheel, fire, and cotton picking are way beyond them.
>>
>>767544898

"My culture is not your goddamn prom dress".

How do you know this, exactly? Cultures change and blend all the time. They are not racially deterministic. And basically saying so in veiled language is bigotry.
>>
>>767545219
>How do you think the Ancient Greeks and Romans achieved so much prominence in modern culture?
To be honest, they had achieved a lot of prominence in modern culture because they have achieved a ton of prominence in their own time.
Anyway, appropriating developments of Greek and Roman culture and philosophy made whole humanity better off. I don't see why it wouldn't work to ease off on usual between-group tensions in our days.
>>
>>767545064
>I am a lefty, but I never actually got this cultural appropriation meme.

it has nothing to do with left ideology. It's a tumblr tier bullshit similar to the shit Anita Sarkeesianis passing off as a feminism.
>>
>>767545341

The paradox of "cultural appropriation" is that it encourages cultural stagnation, by locking everyone into a straight-jacket of conformity. It encourages more bigotry, not less.
>>
>>767545394

It's something called the "Dark Ages". Our knowledge of them only survived because the Middle East and the European Religious Orders kept enough to go on.
>>
>>767545415

It doesn't even make sense if you look at it logically.

You're basically saying if a person is one race or of a certain culture, they cannot act like another race or culture.

The racism in this is blatantly obvious.
>>
>>767545350
KEK.
>>
White people are so fucking irritating man they're always in somebody fucking bullshit every fucking time
>>
>>767544898
They clearly want segregation.
>>
>>767544898

Facts:

That dress has almost no semantic meaning.
It says "I am celebrating".
It does not say "I am chinese" or "I have some kind of qualifications"
It is a dress that anybody can wear. Ask a Chinese person.
>>
My favourite moment was when this Mexican girl was complaining about cultural appropriation regarding Halloween, claiming that white people stole her ancestor's Dia de los Muertos.

Not realizing that Dia de los Muertos was appropriated from the Aztecs by the Spaniards, when they slaughtered them all.
>>
>>767545122
because you can't appropriate white culture
because only white man are racist
because we dindu nufin
because we all victim of evil white man
>>
>>767544898
>diversity is good because of the exchange of ideas
>but cultural appropriation is bad!
>>
I think there's some validity to the sentiment in literature, religion, mythology, and art. i.e., portraying Americanized versions of Asian characters in movies and marketing as historically accurate, or universities/museums proudly displaying religious artifacts in the name of understanding ripped from the holy sites of indigenous peoples.

I think the above dress comment and similar things are caused by children or uneducated people reading terms such as, "cultural appropriation," and then applying then to items/situations that don't meet the criteria and definition of the term as it's used in academic settings.
>>
>>767546131
It is almost as autistic as when christians start to make claims on Christmas, despite not knowing the actual date of JC birth,and just taking winter solstice because reasons.
>>
>>767546222

Halloween is MASSIVE cultural appropriation, being a complete change from the original Irish harvest festival it is clearly based on.

And now we have Day Of The Dead beginning to blend with Halloween (since they're right next to each other chronologically). We have a Mexican holiday (no doubt culturally appropriated from the original inhabitants of Mexico) fusing with a butchering of an Irish harvest festival, in modern times.

But no one is getting butthurt about that, because it's actually fucking cool. I love when cultures meet.
>>
>>767546311

God we need Krampus already. We need to bring the "punish naughty people" thing back into our holiday.
>>
>>767546131
>from the Aztecs by the Spaniards, when they slaughtered them all.

They didn't slaughter them all actually. The descendants of Aztecs are the second biggest minority in Mexico. Nahuatl is spoken by 1.5 million people, so they're a long way from dying out.
>>
>>767546589
Correction, then: "slaughtered/raped them all".
>>
>>767546311
So what? Christianity is a syncretic religion. They appropriated Egyptian dying-resurrecting god, greek Neoplatonism and tons of other shit. And they aren't alone in this. All religions are syncretic in nature. You won't find any religion that wasn't influenced by something else at some point.
>>
Stop speaking and/or writing English if you're not American or English.

My language is NOT your goddamn shitposting utensil.
>>
>>767546299
Actually, the most prevalent modern example of cultural appropriation I can think of is black Americans claiming to have African cultural ties, most prevalent the "WE WUZ KANGZ" style dialogue regarding Egyptian culture. I know several African people who are mortified by the weird obsession. Black Panther is a great example of a major studio taking random "ethnic," vibes and ripping bits and pieces of complex tribal cultures and turning them into a hip-hopized mishmash of nonsense for black Western audiences.
>>
transgenderism is gender appropriation
>>
>>767546829
Autistic part is going "Why are you celebrating christmas, you are an atheist".
Not being influenced by other stuff.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site. This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.