Navigation: /b/ - Random [Archive] | Search | [Home]
RandomArchive logo

Ask a neuropsychologist who works in early rehabilitation and

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 175
Thread images: 3
File: Neuropsychology.jpg (24 KB, 300x191) Image search: [Google]
Neuropsychology.jpg
24 KB, 300x191
Ask a neuropsychologist who works in early rehabilitation and intensive care anything.

Pro tip:
Use your seatbelts if you dont want to end as a vegetable with half a brain.
>>
Why haven't you fags cured alzheimers yet? Is it simply a scam by the pharma companies?
>>
>>706777203
As long as it isnt clear why tau-proteins and beta-amyloids accumulate in brain tissue, there cant be made a cure.
>>
Is it possible to acquire, or improved skills and personality traits by brain trauma? How badly do I need to boo boo my think box to be better at math and, say, start a successful cult?
>>
>>706777095
Is there any way to train myself to be less aware of pain?
I have a mild disability and it hurts like a fuck.
>>
>>706778563
Not possible. A brain trauma damages the connections between brain cells. You can recover fully though if its not too bad.
>>
thoughts on psilocybin shrooms
>>
>>706778671
We usually teach stress relieving exercises (like relaxation or meditation) and focussing on other things that arent pain. Usually pain grows if you pay attention to it.

Another way is learning to accept it and build yourself on it.
>>
>>706779043
abuse them and become a patient

If you are genetically predisposed to develop psychosis or anxiety disorders it might just do the trick
>>
>>706779084
I have accepted it, but it is kind of hard to ignore when it affects my mobility.
I guess I can just meditate more, I only put in like 5-10 mins a day right now.
>>
>>706777095
I've recently been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder, though I'm not sure. Is BPD an actual thing? This psychiatrist only had 30mins with me in a mental health facility, what would be the most telling signs and symptoms for BPD if you had to make a diagnosis in 30min?

Thanks
>>
>>706779302
Meditation sounds exotic but the main goal of mindfulness for example is thought control and therefore also pain control.

It requires a lot of practice but you can achieve it.

Buddhist monks and all those shitters control pain over anticipating it and then controlling their perception of it.

The pain wont go away though.
>>
>>706779389
30 mins isnt enough. For a valid diagnosis you need weeks of observation and evaluation.

There can be symptoms though that allow to orient the diagnosis in that direction. However, since these symptoms can also be explained by other disorders or conditions there is need for more testing.
>>
>>706777095
I am right handed, but whenever I try to write with my right hand it gets really tense, so tense that it hurts and i can't write. Also have other similar problems like sometimes I can't click a mouse button without moving the mouse at the same time. Alslo sometimes muscles in my right arm hurt for no reason.

Had a bunch of tests done by a neurologist. His conclusion was that the nerves are fine, the muscles are fine, my brain is physically fine, just not wired quite right.

Any idea how possible it is to rewire my brain? He seemed to think it would be virtually impossible
>>
Whats jobs can one with neuropsychology degrees do
>>
>>706779736
It might be very difficult but I dont think that it is impossible.

If blind people can learn to perceive their environment over echolocation (by hearing the echoes of the sounds they make) you can also learn to use your hand more efficiently. It wont go away entirely though.

First step I think is focussing on the hand getting tense and searching for a compensating way of getting around the blockade.
>>
>>706777095
Thoughts on hypnotherapy?
>>
>>706780081
First thing is hospital and clinical treament of patients, which can be quite varied. In early rehabilitation and intensive care you handle with patients in coma or recent brain traumas and strokes. In normal rehabilitation you see people of all kinds and normally focus on bringing them back to work. In pediatric rehabilitation you may see children with development problems. For elder people you focus on slowing the effects of age or dementias.

You can however also focus on optimizing cognitive functions like attention or executive functions of healthy people, like CEOs.

Then there is forensic neuropsychology, which is the evaluation for courts and lawyers of the effects of traumatic events or something like that on people, or if they are simulants.

There are some other fields too
>>
>>706780176
hypnotherapy is effective for some conditions and disorders, like some anxiety disorders or the abuse of nicotine.

regression to former lifes is bullshit though.
>>
>>706777095
Is there much difference between neurophychology and neuropsychiatry?
>>
>>706780823
yes and no

neuropsychiatrists are more interested in the effects of medicine on the brain and on organic disorders like organic depression or schizophrenia.

neuropsychologist study psychopharmacology too but they are more focussed on behavior in general.

A neuropsychiatrist could treat and "cure" an organic depression (give you the pills) and transfer you to a psychologist (if you are lucky). A neuropsychologist would train attention, memory and executive functions loss in that depression and also address the changes in motivation, emotion and behavior in daily life.
>>
>>706781248
How many years did you study btw?
I'm looking into Psychiatry or General practice.
>>
How to imporve memory, focus and brain power?
>>
>>706781476
8 years. Psychology and a Master in Neuropsychology. Some years were wasted though because I had major depression.
>>
File: lazy-cat-on-sofa.jpg (35 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
lazy-cat-on-sofa.jpg
35 KB, 500x332
What's your favorite color?
>>
>>706781480
Memory is such a complex function that according to most studies it is not trainable. You can train to use other strategies for learning and remembering that use more brain capacity. An easy example is instead of learning a list of names by repetition, you imagine them visually or make a story out of them. Thats what those wonderbronies in memory competitions do.

Focus and brain power per se are trainable through intense attention programs. For example 5 times a week.

Lifeways which focus on a better and bigger perception of life are for example mindfulness. This showed also an increase in brain density in frontal lobes (and therefore in attention and executive control)
>>
>>706781580
black, it makes people look less ugly. especially at night.
>>
Does your job get you laid lots?
>>
>>706781811
Do you do any activities or exercises to maintain or improve your mental capabilities?

You have an audience, please give out advice you deem important.
>>
>>706782054
Nurses and most therapists are girls and look up to neuropsychologists and medics.

But I have a gf.

However, never stick your dick in psychologist students. Half of them are crazy bitches.
>>
>>706777402
is there no chemical that can break them down without damaging the brain? i recently saw something on the news that said they found fungi in the brains of almost all patients with alzheimiers, sometimes several different types. whats that about?

what are you thoughts on neuroplasticity? could you theorectically consciously rewire your brain to make maximise different functions, or maximise overall brain function?
>>
How to tell if your predisposed to certain mental illness without knowing your family history?
>>
My mom had a brain aneurysm about 3 years ago, there's very little physical damage, and she can remember everything leading up to the injury, but her short term memory is pretty screwed up, and she won't remember stuff that happened 5 minutes ago. Only problem is, I resent the fuck out of her. Any advice?
>>
COME BACK OP
>>
>>706782169
There is the concept of cognitive reserve, which means that all mental activity that you do in your life can serve as a cushion to loss of brain cells (neurodegenerative processes) and aging

Good examples of activities that build up cognitive reserve are for example chess, problem solving, continuosly studying difficult things, etc. There is a case of a nun which had severe dementia diagnosed after death but nobody had noticed in her lifetime. This was because she was mentally so active that the brain could compensate losing cells.

I play chess from time to time, some musical instruments for fun and I should do more exercise. Thats a good start to mantain and improve mental capabilities.

>>706782196
No there isnt (yet). There are many causal hypothesis about the origin of alzheimer dementias but none has been proven 100%. Even the effects of tau and ß-amyloid proteins are not entirely clear.

Neuroplasticity is the reason neurological and neuropsychological rehabilitation is possible. In hospital we rewire the brain practically to maximise the remaining functions after head injury.

Optimizing it though, like for example improve a healthy overall brain function has shown little resistance to time. Meaning, that although you can improve your brain activity, it wont last if you dont continue training, and overtime it will get back to normal.

>>706782391
Genetics in some cases (only a few genetical factors are known today). If genetics and family history are unknown it is uncertain.

>>706782420
you need to work on yourself and to understand that your mom is lucky to be alive. It is not her fault that she doesnt remember.

Memory is one of the most complex functions and it is also the first thing to impair in strokes and hypoxia. It is nearly impossible to recover what is lost and she cant do anything about it. She suffers from it too.

You need to adapt to her because she cant to what you expect of her.
>>
>>706782615
put some answers in one post, im back
>>
Bump
>>
Notice any sort of trends with the people you treat?
>>
>>706783772
What kind of trennds?
>>
>>706781576
Thanks for the reply.
Good luck with work and shit.
>>
>>706783912
Thanks. The same to you.
>>
Any more? If not Im off.
>>
>>706784892
What is a true emergency when it comes to what you do?
>>
>>706786093
>>706784892
>>706777095
OP?
>>
>>706786210
yes?

>>706786093
neuropsychological emergencies are more related to behavioral or emotional crisis. like an outbreak of delirium, aggression, depression or suicidal thoughts.

If it has an organic reason its treated with psychopharmaceuticals and nurses or doctors sometimes ask about what to give.

If it is a crisis tha has a cognitive reason, for example recurring thoughts, anxiety, coping with the illness or depressive moods, it is often enough to talk with people giving them possitive feedback and listening to them.

Most of times medics or nurses dont give a shit about their patients wellbeing. And imagine yourself and how you would feel if youd be in a hospital for over a month with nothing to do, surrounded by impaired people and without knowing what your future will be like.
>>
whats the worst case you've encountered?
what's the worst you were able to get back on track?
>>
Do you ever feel anxiety over the mechanical nature of the human brain? Existential despair?
>>
why do I keep on forgetting things. how come when I am anxious I forget to eat?
>>
>>706777095
starting my master in clinical neuropsychology next wsemester in germany where did you study?
what fields to get into apart from rehabilitation, are there diagnostics specific jobs?
>>
>>706787263
yes, I am not studying this but my psychiatrist specializes in ADHD. You can specialize in whatever ever you want to study. Ask your lecturer and the internet I am sure there is a lot of options
>>
>>706777095
OP can head tremors cause dizziness and vertigo?
>>
>>706786967
It depends on what you call worst.
- Physically: An elder person who fell from his carport and broke almost everything on the left side of his body. He now sits there with half a skull and answer your questions after 30 seconds (if he answers at all). He has no memory, severe lack of attention and executive functioning, apathy, etc.
- Psychologically: A female in her 30s with HIV-encephalopathy, Hepatitis C, tuberculosis and quadriplegia who gets anxiety and panic attacks and cant breathe because of it.

Best back on track was a 20 year old guy who crashed without seatbelt against a tree and flew over 20 meters through the air. Multiple fractures of skull and multiple intracranial bleedings. After recovery and neuropsychological treament on PC hes almost back to normal.

>>706787109
No, the human brain is admirable and there is an inherent force and will in it to live and to be happy. And you can be happy even with the biggest impairments. Thats quite the contrary to despair.

>>706787162
You forget things you dont "need". If youre anxious your body prepares itself to spend energy, maybe to get away from what makes you anxious. Eating is not a priority then.

Answering the others...
>>
>>706787679
in my situation I feel on the back of my head at ten and fell on a metal thing. It created a tiny hole at the back of the head. get this those I have always had symptoms of adhd but I was only diagnosed with it at 17 I only started having black outs lasting for hours at 20. why am I having these strange symptoms? Also why do my eyebrows twitch involuntarily when I am anxious is it a tick is it related to my fall? is it related to my nervous system?
>>
>>706787679
the hiv-encephalopathy is likely Primary Multifocal Leukoencephalopathy
>>
>>706787263
I studied in Spain. The advantage of Spain is that there have been neuropsychological masters for a longer time now than in Germany. Spain basically copies everything that comes from USA and therefore its knowledge in this fields is very vast.

Germany has a long own tradition in neuropsychology and developed a lot of adapted tests from the USA (HAWIE, BAT, AAT, etc.). However, because of the monopol of the GNP and the Psychotherapeutenkammern the knowledge is often some years behind the USA. And pure neuropsychological masters have only started some years ago. The main focus is still clinical psychology and its difficult to become a good neuropsychologist if you only did clinical psychology.

Fields are primarily rehabilitation, then research, forensics, private consulting. There are some more minor fields, but its also important to know that neuropsychology is expanding fastly into other fields
>>
>>706787637
yes, but you should always check out medical conditions. under the wrong circumstances vertigo and dizziness can be a serious thing. specially vertigo is a potential serious sign.
>>
>>706781248
are you excited about any potential new treatments for depression - or will "anti-depressants" remain impotent?
>>
>>706788043
are the fascists making a comeback in Spain? how do we kill them?
>>
>>706787995
you need to check those symptoms at a doctor.

I would call the twitching normal, it doesnt necesarily come from the fall. Ticks (if it really is one) can develop over a long time. I wouldnt connect it to the head trauma because it is just a small impairment.

The blackouts however can be something serious (or something not that serious like diabetes or lack of oxygenation). A serious thing would it be if it is a form of epilepsy. Head trauma patients have a certain predisposition to suffer epilepsy in later years.

Dont worry yourself too much but let it check to, at least, rule out the bad things.
>>
>>706779389
symptoms of BPD

chronic fears of abandonment
intense feelings of loneliness
crippling low self esteem
poor relationships with others that are usually stormy and end abruptly.
black and white thinking
alternate for idolizing some one to hating them after the make a human mistake.
I hope this helps you. I have been diagnosed with this but I think it's full of shit my stormy relationships were related to the fact I couldn't actually freaking concentrate!
>>
>>706777095
How can you determine chemical imbalances anywhere in the body, and not just in your area of knowledge?
>>
>>706788177
There are promising new treatments like transcranial magnetic stimulation or neurofeedback, but it always depends on the nature of the disorder.

Some people with cognitive depression, meaning that their recurring or extreme thoughts are responsible for it, can be well trated with psychology.

Some organic depression respond well to antidepressants.

Some do not respond at all.

I wouldnt call anti-depressants impotent. They can relieve and in slight cases they can cure it. However they usually do not treat the "reasons" of the disorder, which means that if you have a shitty life it will continue to be like that, and that it would be better for you to change it than to take pills
>>
>>706788043
It has changed a bit you can do the GNP certification without holding a "psychotherapeuten approbation" and there quite a few neurocentric and at least 4 specific clinical neuropsychology masters out there for at least 4-6 years
but for leading postions youll need the gnp certification(for about 30k€
>>
>>706788487
I cant
>>
>>706788408
I once had an epilitic fit on my retilin mediation I never told my doctor. I forgot to I thought will if he put me on dexampetime maybe I won't have a seizure. another thing that has happened is I have taken a form of flu medication my doctor prescribed. The side effects were so serious that my face had swollen up I could eat or drink my tongue was out of my mouth. I don't even know where I went mentally cause I can't remember even being there in my head. It was so severe how did an accidental overdose of flu medication do that to me?
>>
>>706788712
I couldn't eat or drink or speak
>>
Is it weird that i like to stick my finger deep in my but after i take a poop so i can smell whats coming my way ?
>>
>>706788678
I think you mean the approbation for 30k€. Thats true and thats the fact why psychology in Germany sucks (in other countries as well, I know).

The thing is, if you have studied psychology you can call yourself neuropsychologist because it is not a regulated profession. Most likely nobody will hire you but you can try it (I started as a neuropsychologist after my Bachelor). If you have a master (it doesnt really matter which one) it is easier to get hired, since there werent pure neuropsychology masters in germany.

I am pretty sure you refer to the clinical masters which have some subjects in neuropsychology. Other countries however have masters purely with neuropsychology subjects.

Some hospitals or clinics want the GNP certification. But the GNP itself is a corrupted incestous organization that people without studies in neuropsychology created 20-30 years ago and then closed the doors behind them.
>>
>>706788689
No one in your field can? There are no experts in your field that can check for imbalances so that they can be corrected with meds?
>>
>>706788765
>>706788712
you need to tell that to your doctor. your medication should always be adapted to you and if you have seizures or something else without the proper treatment your head can get much worse over the years in the worst case scenario.

and overdoses are nothing to take lightly too. you can tolerate most medications on a slight overdose but there also some which become toxic. it could have been an allergic reaction too. be careful
>>
>>706789204
not in neuropsychology. in medicine and biochemistry yes, though its not easy

the problem with psychopharmaceutical meds or neurotransmitters themselves is that some cells respond to higher concentrations of them while others respond to lower. both being of vital importance.

the classical pharmaceuticals cant give a proper balance because they aim to higher or lower one thing and therefore unbalance the other. often they affect other neurotransmitters too and then the shit hits the fan.

For example, medication to treat depression worsens the symptoms of Parkinson, while those that better these symptoms worse depression.

newer pharmaceuticals are more efficient and have less side effects but they are far from perfect.
>>
>>706789222
I was thinking it could have been an allergic reaction especially since my body is so sensitive to everything. Like finding face washes that won't make my eyes swell is like navigating a mine site. I have so idea what to do because no matter what dosage he puts on my adhd mess I still have a mind that's unfocused and forgets stuff. It has really hard to understand cause my blood work is always fine. so it's almost like I am just making myself sick based on my thoughts. it's possible to happen I think. I just don't know if it's an actual allergic reaction or my mind is making my body react that way. is this even a legitimate question making yourself sick? sorry about all the questions I sEe my psychiatrist every three months so I haven't gotten to tell him everything and ask everything yet
>>
I have a girlfriend with an array of extraordinary mental derangements and capabilities, ranging from savant syndrome and asperger's to schizotypal personality disorder, schizophrenic symptoms, PTSD, heavy anxiety, delusions of course, and many more that I could go on about.

I ask you, is there any way that we can set up contact? I currently am busy tonight, bevause I have work tomorrow, and would like to describe the case in further detail with you, because I have no one to talk to about it. If it interests you or you could offer help, please give me some way to talk to you. She also has unspecified symptoms of some sort of rare cognitive process that does not appear anywhere in neurological literature.

I even mean this desparately.
>>
>>706790030
Yes it could have been an allergic reaction. But still it should be taken with caution. In the end its not simply a thing you put on your face but something you ingest. Therefore the neccesity of searching for the right meds.

Second, most memory problems come from a lack of attention (like the ones you mention). Thats a good thing since in your case its only a matter of finding the right meds and adjusting the right dose, and of course there is training you could make. Neurofeedback for example has shown good effects on adhd.

However, being unfocused and forgetful can also be a side effect of the meds. In that case you could try compensating strategies, like taking notes or establishing other helpfull habits. Its not easy and in the end its a question of pacience and strength to endure it. Also it is important that you cope with it.

Your thoughts can truly worse your wellbeing and the symptoms you mention. They can make you sick
>>
>>706790503
Sounds serious. Are they valid diagnosis or was it just some triggerhappy doc who didnt knew his shit?

You can write me with your worries but I cant promise to be able to help you. It sounds like your gf needs an interdisciplinary team.
[email protected]
>>
>>706789057

you're right it's actually around 15k for the gnp certified clinical neuropsy depending on how much credit you can get from your master, but it's not possible to actually apply for the certification if you don't have a masters degree and all jobs as "clinical neuropsychologist" I found do require a master with specialty (electives) in neuropsy
and there actually are clinical neuropsy masters
for example Saarland Uni
>>
>>706790619
thank you so much that helps so much. I have been desperate to get an answer as in Australia the mental health system is shit for all kinds of reasons. all I get is recommended is therapy but they put me on schema therapy cause I also have mixed depression. However I wouldn't classify myself as depressed any more because I have been socializing more and my anxiety levels have going down and are much more easy to manage. I was put on new line antidepressant which deals with two chemicals I think it was dopamine and serotonin. I expected it to improve my memory well it did from the constant blank outs to less blank outs. However it is not perfect and having mixed depression and anxiety wouldn't make my treatment easy because I feel like the dexampetamines could also be contributing to my anxiety but then I need it to control my ADHD. it's like a catch twenty two and I don't even know how to deal with it.
>>
>>706789057
actually feel the same concerning GNP the question is that an argument for or against joining the fuckers
is their magazine good/ok/generally laughed at?
>>
>>706791186
It is a heavy burden. Speak about the antidepressant with your psychiatrist, maybe you can get a lower dose and see if your mood remains stable. Dont forget that you also may feel better and socialize more, etc because of the meds. Do not stop taking them just because you think its better now. A slow withdrawal would be the best option if you feel better. In case it gets worse the dose could get higher again.

Socializing and doing more stuff outside is always a starting point to fight depression. And every psychologist would you encourage to it. Can you get one too? Psychologist could help you with your thoughts and problems in daily life.
>>
>>706790862
Thank you, I strongly appreciate it. I wrote down your email on paper. I won't forget it.

This is serious, yes, and she has been diagnosed. She also went to a mental asylum at the age of 14, I dont know why she was let out, she often has psychotic breaks. I would write more if I were on my computer.

I remember some of her diagnoses. Delusional, bipolar, asperger's, borderline, anxiety, severe depression. She often talks about very specific desires, such as self mutilation, self destruction, total and complete acceptance of her own defeat and submission to suicide.

I once experienced her experiencing a complete visual hallucination of a stuffed animal "vibrating" and it caused her to space out and sit in an almost catatonic state for a couple minutes, almost aware, she was able to tell me during the time how bad she wants her existence to end.
Amongst her desires, they mainly deal with a desire to remove or destroy her identity. Cut her face and completely mutilate it until it is unrecognizable as human. To destroy her body (she's basically done this with cuts alone). She talks about how she wants to live under the earth where no one can see her, where she believes no human exists, and she can live in suffering and pain. She often experiences avoidant personality disorder symptoms, likely as a result of full fledge schizotypal pd.
>>
>>706791561
Another thing I must add, is she continues to have psychotic breaks every few days, especially if she is not occupied. If she is left in her own thoughts, her mind will crash eventually.

I believe she needs an interdisciplinary team as well. I have seen her search in her history, desires to go to psychotherapy, and them when I ask her if she wants to go, she says yes, but never will, and says but she would pay the world's greatest rehabilitator to fix her with any sum of cash, yet would still not go.

Sorry if that last part is confusing. Thoughts so far?
>>
>>706791535
Well yes, I did consider that and also if I am happier and less anxious that would also help my memory. I have asked him to look for a psychologist for me as I am at a lost at how I will find a psychologist that will treat my underlying condition ADHD. I don't even know if there are psychologist that treats ADHD
>>
>>706791059
yes thats true

>>706791336
everyone i have talked with (even some of them in the gnp) think the same. they are however the only alternative in germany so...

their material is ok
>>
>>706791561
>>706791709
what kind of treatment does she get? does she stick to it? does she consume drugs or other stimulants?

these are very serious symptoms and she requires help as fast as possible.
>>
>>706791773
yes there are. clinical psychologist or even psychotherapist can be specialized on it. especially after the recent rise in adhd in the last years. a combination of meds and a cognitive behavioral therapy can make a great deal.

dont go to a psychoanalyst or to systemic therapy
>>
>>706791709
Not op but wow. just wow some of that stuff about cutting her face off I can relate like I used to want to destroy and completely mutilate my sexual organs and would just visualize myself removing them. It was so strange and I can't understand the logic like I wanted to be a human that was a robot but I still wanted to be sexually used and abused by men bit I wanted to remove my sexual organs? WTF that's some weird and distorted thoughts.
>>
>>706792227
its a paraphilia. Paraphilias often have another background than the apparent observable facade. like you said, you wanted to be used and abused and remove your organs. But it seems to me that there are other deeper thoughts, emotions and desires behind it
>>
>>706791935
I agree of course. She is a unique case and a beyond extreme one. She often plans her suicides (traveling north and killing herself via hammer or suicide drug)

She is obsessed with suicide as well. Entirely. She feels as though she isn't human, that this reality does not exist, and that she needs to return to where she "came from" by killing herself.

I need to get her help, I know, severely, but there is a lot of problems with that and I would address them but i would prefer to do that particular stuff through a more private basis.

She has explained to me in depth (I have it all written down) how she feels and what she wants to do. I was able to get her to give me this information bevause she believes I am apart of her, and she needs me to know this. She has a couple thousand cuts on her body, in every frontal part of the body but not the face.

She also hits herself a lot.

She also believes that half of men in this world are psychopathic.
One day she loves me and tells me she will love me forever. The next she is incapable of love. She talks about how she cannot feel loved (emotional stumping) and how she cannot also love.
She also cannot stand, for example, me spending two minutes away from her without her knowing what I am doing, or she considers it cheating.
>>
>>706792062
I don't know psychoanalysis or what systemic therapy maybe it's a good thing I don't. I was thinking of hypnosis but I don't know if that's appropriate or would help
>>
>>706792504
She feels it is necessary to try to break up with me bevause I didn't tell her I got a snack from the kitchen. I believe this is avoidance, but also a mixture of delusion and paranoia.
>>
>>706791935
I forgot to mention, she does not get any treatment anymore. She got off of her pills some time ago but sometimes experiences withdrawal symptoms(electric chills down her spine, causing immobility).

She is 18 now, so she hasn't been to the hospital since she was 15. She was diagnosed in that hospital. Also she was forcefully admitted.
>>
>>706792463
It's so fucking strange and I feel like a psycho because of it. Like I am bisexual I fantasize about fucking groups of guys and girls but then my reality splits kind of and I just go back to hating men and wanting to stab them to death but then I don't want to stab them if they are just friends and is not requesting for sex. is that making sense coz that confuses me?
>>
>>706792227
That is quite similar, except for her I is completely nonsexual. she does enjoy the thought of being abused and used and all, but that is a part of her and i and our dynamic, but also likely a part of her mental illness. She also has obsession over me, and claims to be incapable of any other romantic or sexual desire.

Her visual intrusive thoguhts are often of a hammer smashing her face and skull until she is dead. I often catch her jumping and startled when she experiences this.
>>
>>706792504
>>706792589
>>706792726
This is a major condition and all symptoms you describe square into schizophrenia related disorders. It would be neccesary to differentiate which one it could be.

If you come ever in the situation that she needs to be hospitalized asap, the fact that she is hurting herself is reason enough for any doctor or psychiatrist to do so.

It is typical in schizophrenia to abandon the medication, but then it uses to get worse. It is also typical that she does isnt fully aware of the condition, and that she puts you and herself in danger.

It is really a complicated matter, do not hesitate to seek help or in the worst of cases this could take a very bitter end.
>>
>>706792920
yes I have also obsessed about guys being paranoid to think he stole my cat and somehow I had to break into his house to get it. It was so crazy omg
>>
>>706792736
No need to feel like a psycho. You arent one. You have a lot of frustration inside you and dreaming or imaging this things does no harm to anyone.

You should search for the reasons why you feel this way and look for a way to release this emotions. And if you ever feel a real urge to kill someone, ask for help.
>>
>>706793000
Nice trips
I believe you are right.

So far I have pinpointed it to schizotypal pd and schizoaffective disorder. She has all the symptoms. I can also tell you that it is episodic, too. It can also be triggered. Some days, things are normally and okay. For example, we will have a completely good day, and things I do or things that happen, she reacts to somewhat normally given her major condition.

Other days, the slightest thing can cause psychological degeneration to the point of literal psychotic breakage. A piece of technology not working, something goes wrong, something stupid is said. I can always immediately tell when it is going to be that type of day or not. When I know it is not going to be a bad day, it always turns out well. When I know it is going to be bad, I can tell from certain, small signs, by how she talks or writes and behaves generally, dhe is different, and throughout the day it gets worse until a certain point and a collapse takes place. I know this is not dissociative identity disorder and it does not parallel it but it is quite as day to day has its alters occur. It seems like a stress related thing, like in PTSD, the meter of her stress throughout the day starts to fill until it explodes. What do you think? A mixture of PTSD and a sort of schizophrenic type?
>>
>>706782188
This.
> Be me
> Dating a psychology student.
> 7/10 sex goddess
> Told me she had BPD disorder
> Ran away from her like a hasted squirrel
>>
>>706793367
Let me look into it
>>
>>706793175
every time I try to deal with my anger towards men it is almost no point as I consider them unreal like a dillusion so it feels like it's underneath my skin and I end up fighting myself to get rid of anger towards men that are for me to irrevalant to be real. or maybe I have imagined them out of my experience because I believe there only function is to use people for sex and rape people. which I know is disillusioned to think all men do that but then I can believe another reality. I am so obsessed with believing they are going to use me and abused me that it cause really complex sexual desires. including torturing them so they like it but then so they don't like it's weird and feels unreal. I was also obsessed with killing this guy because he had angered me and I felt like he played with me but then I enjoyed it but then when I was killing him I was fucking him. reviving him kissing him passionately. it's like two sides of my personality is so imbalanced
>>
How much money do neuropsychologists make In a year?
>>
>>706787425
Computational Neuroscientist here:
not really into this but just curious about anon's opinion, do you actually think ADHD is a -single- pathology, or just more like a general category of phenotypes (possibly with very different genotypes / endophenotypes)
>>
>>706793367
I apologize for terrible writing. I cannot write too well with a phone but my writing through a real keyboard is more melodic and less broken, outlandish, and incorrectus.
>>
>>706793456
I'll be here. I always have your email too.
>>
File: 1475193771590.png (32 KB, 657x527) Image search: [Google]
1475193771590.png
32 KB, 657x527
>>706778671
>I have a mild disability and it hurts like a fuck

What's the matter with you, dude?
>>
>>706793367
>>706793456
I wouldnt say its PTSD. Stress is of course an important factor in behaviour and neurotransmitter response to the environment. But as long as it isnt connected to a specific event that she reexperiences being awake or sleeping its not that.

As for the schizoaffective disorder the symptoms you mention speak for it, since you also talk about bipolarity and the psychotic episodes.

What kind of hallucinations does she have? Does she have longer periods without hallucinations or this psychotic breakouts? Does she have depressive periods or days/weeks where she is overly active?

>>706793542
between 24000€ and 72000€ depending on position experience, etc. of course you can sum up with extra work like treatment of private patients etc.
>>
>>706793601
I think different genotypes
>>
>>706777095
Any book recommendations ?
I'm a physician.
please be rough
>>
>>706793601
because the cause of ADHD is not always caused by the sAme reason. Like for example my dad has adhd he passed it to me but not to my sister so there had to be a mixture of genotypes and endrotypes because it skipped my sister but I got it. if that makes any sense.
>>
>>706793601
both, there has been a lot of discussion if adhd is a single pathology or a family of pathologies. and dont forget the connection to other disorders and antisocial behaviour.

genotypes play a role but in the end the main factor is the environment
>>
>>706777095
What are some characteristics of someone with schizophrenia, other than hallucinations?
>>
>>706794192
books about what? neuropsychology? muriel lezak neuropsychological assessment could be a good start
>>
>>706794266
yes I agree with that too
>>
Do you believe the patient is right most of the time, do you listen to them?
>>
>>706794283
you can describe two kinds of symptoms.

positive ones like hallucinations, delusions, speak or thought impairments

negative symptoms like lack of speech or speechcontent, lack of emotions, motivation, etc.

these symptoms can vary or change over time. there can also be periods without them
>>
>>706794395
yes. its a phenomenological perspective. the patient is right in his own world and perception. however if he thinks or does something harmfull for himself or others the goal is to change his world to a more adapted one. you achieve that by listening, engaging his frecuency (thats what I call it) and then work something out together
>>
>>706793762
here
>>706794014
>>
I am fascinated with my brain I want to study something to do with the brain I wanna do something that helps someone but then I am artistic and creative so I can't make a choice. I become so excited and impulsive that I want to do all the courses but I end up doing nothing? how am I going to ground myself so I do one thing at a time and not just go back to being impulsive and enrolling myself in courses I can't complete? can you recommend or help me how to I balance myself so I can both be artistic and presue something that teaches me about the brain and body?
>>
>>706794014
I apologize for the slow response. These are fantastic questions and I feel like it has been narrowed a bit more. You are right about the PTSD symptoms, because it is not particular stuff, but she does sometimes talk about an event that happened to her when she was younger (she never details it) but she tells me it is the reason that resulted in emotional stumping.
Her hallucinations range in senses. She has visual and auditory mostly.

She had gotten that vibration one I spoke of, and another was something about a black fog or airborne shadow moving its way in her peripheral before vanishing upon immediate direct visual attention.
She also sometimes hears music playing, always classical, and she hears it in her ears and head , but ss though it is distant from her but she can't tell where it is. I remmeber i wss in the kitchen with her snd she asked me if I hear the baroque music playing, and I told her I never left any on, and there is none playing nesr us whatsoever, but she insisted she heard it, and it caused her to freeze up again like I told you, when she realizes hallucinations, and knows they are them, she freezes up and experiences existential dread immediately following.

She does have longer periods without these things, but they are often dependent on how much she is occupied in action. If she is busy doing things, she tends to be fine. But if I leave her alone and let her think, she degenerates.

She does not seem to have days where she is overly active, hyper or happy. Only depression is episodic in her, and her thoguhts and desires all flow in, and the array of negative and pessimism and no hope fills her mind.

She is also an antinatalist and misanthrope of course. Just to give you an idea of her cognitive processing dealing with pessimism.
>>
>>706794621
I must also mention when she experiences these episodes, she claims to lack emotion such as love, and tells me that she never loved me, even when she said she did, I cannot tell whether it is true or not or what causes her mind to be this way. That is another concern.
>>
>>706794844
wow I am obsessed with getting pregnant and then giving birth to it and then it my head it disappears but I am obsessed with it I didn't know there was an opposite to that. as for hating mankind that sounds like my mother she always thinks people motives are nasty. I'd call her paranoid but that's not how she comes across but then again she says horried and mean things about people. she would threaten to kill me and light me on fire and after when I'd confront that she said it she doesn't remember and says I am making up stuff what the he'll?
>>
>>706794585
>engaging his frequency (thats what I call it)

Not weird, since this entire universe seems be be made of vibrations and frequencies.

528 hz best freq
>>
>>706795474
yeah I believe in sound healing I use the f l different sounding frequencies like biternutal beats to heal me.
>>
>>706795281
wow she sounds like she's trying to distance herself from her emotions the reason why I have no clue
>>
>>706794776
combine it

>>706794844
alright lets do this, we need to differentiate between halluzinations, pseudohalluzinations and illusions

- hallucinations are perceptions of things that are not present and couldnt have their origin in a distorsion of something that was or is present.
- pseudohallucinations are like hallucinations but the person knows they arent real.
- Illusions are distorsions of something that was or is present, or something that resembles it,

we also need to analyse what kind of thoughts she has. I think you mentioned paranoic and jealous delusions. Has she mentioned other things like someone wants to do her harm or that shes being followed? That someone controls, steals or gives her thoughts? The freezups are interesting too, what exactly does she think or feel then?

Does she have days or weeks were she cant speak coherently?

How often do the catatonic episodes appear? How long do they last? How often are they?

Does the entirety of this symptoms mentioned above appear over the course of a month and then go away? or do they stay for some months? or are they shorter than a month?

How long (in days) does the depressive moods last? Does she lose her appetite then? Does she have problems to sleep then or does she lack of happyness, motivation or does she stops doing things she normally likes?
>>
>>706795447
well you can think paranoidly without being paranoid. she has probably had some bad experiences to to become like that. comfort her
>>
>>706795281

maybe she says that because she's paranoid and doesn't trust you. I mean if she has dillusions will
>>
>>706795902
she has had bad experiences but she's also in denial that she needs help because she has issues with her thinking. I can't even tell her to get help because she stonewalls herself and I have to still put up when she has random uncontrollable outbursts with others. she also gets offended by everything and can't interpret things probably it takes me explaining what I said in at least ten different ways until she understands and doesn't interpret me as trying to hurt her. it's so frustrating.
>>
>>706777095
Got into med school this year and we learn some useless and boring shit. When do shit get real? Also what is a subject that will help you as a doctor more than others?
>>
Bamp
>>
>>706777095
How about hypnotherapy for picky eating? Everytime I try to eat greens it makes me want to vomit, I try so hard to try new things but can't get over this shit. It's not fun to be in your 30s and eat like a toddler.
>>
>>706777095
If you truly are

Thank you, the work you do is under-appreciated by the vast majority of people
>>
>>706794844
Not Op but how old are you
How long have you guys been dating and how long have you known her and her condition?
Where are her friends/family?
>>
>>706796295
you cant help anyone who doesnt want help
you can try different ways of making her understand what the problem is according to you. maybe over talking, maybe over filming her.

however if she rejects it you cant do anything for her, only for you. then you would need to protect yourself from it and maybe build up a little distance
>>
>>706796366
try it, in the worst case you lose some money, in the best you eat more
>>
>>706795803
Pseudohallucinations and no doubt about it. I will confirm that for you.

She has mentioned paranoic thoughts of believing in the fact that everyone around her is conspiring against what is "good". That she believes everyone has intention to do bad, not necessarily to her, but to nature, the earth, to reality, to the world.

She has sometimes been able to even come out of it and tell me they are delusions and even when she talks about then she knows they're not real but she believes in them fully. She cant help it she says, and other times she completely defends them entirely and beyond aggressively.

She has always thought she aas being watchex, too, even since she was young. She believed that gods watched her snd shed always hide her face when going to the washroom, or just in general sometimes. She grew out of that specifically, she claims. I also believe she has.

When the freeze ups occur, she has been able to tell me that she expereinces desire to completely end her consciousness immediately. During that moment, she feels serialized (as she says, but she says it isn't quite the same as derealization (which she also expereinces)). All I was able to get out of the freezeups was a desire to die and have reality cease. She says she feels numb and sometimes sad when it happens too.

When she exits the freeze up, she says "I feel better now" and dhe generally does, but I still notice paranoic behaviours (immediate short bursts of gazing in specific locations, checking all areas around her with her head turning, etc)

She is always able to speak coherently. Her ability to communicate is quite advanced.

The catatonia seems to be very very rare. I've been with her for a year and experienced it twice but she has told.me about them at some points but very nonattentively as though it isn't a big thing. To her it is normal I get from.that.
The last one lasted, I recorded, about 24 minutes. They're quite short I assume in relativity.

Charlimit
>>
>>706796366
do you eat like that because you have a need to feel like a toddler like is there an emotional reason for this
>>
>>706796369
Thank you, thats kind.

At least the physicians seem to slowly acknowledge our importance.
>>
>>706796514
that's funny because she often threatens to record me messing up stuff and putting it on the internet so everyone knows I behave badly. she is so strange I think she just likes humiliating people. I think it's like a sport to her
>>
>>706795803
We cannot fit the episodes into a scope or scale of monthly. It is usually two days normal, one day psychotic. And then random, but I could say average 2.5 times a week. I have only her be normal for more than a week twice in one year.

It usually lasts a day or two. Sometimes more. Never less than a day. Sleep seems to be the only entry into temporary solace.

She has major problems to.sleep and also a lack of appetite.

She stops doing things she normally.likes. stops being happy about anything. And no motivation for anything she previously desired. No hope.
>>
>>706796735
well then you should record her and she should record you. sometimes we dont see ourselves and maybe she is right in some points.

it would at least allow a connection to her
>>
>>706796859
I have never thought of it that way. could she be trying to connect to me with those odd threats does she think it will help me?
>>
>>706796585
Honestly I think it's just pure habit that's caused a psychological fear/dislike of veggies and stuff. My parents never cooked good meals always fast food and shit. Help please, It's hard to get your children eating right when you have even worse habits. I want to eat better but Everytime I try I wanna gag.
>>
>>706796481
I'm twenty and she is 18. We have been dating for a little over a year. I started realizing her condition the more I knew about her snd spent time with her. After a few weeks. It only progressively got worse but some times gets a bit better snd then degrades.

No family. She has family but it's split up and broken. Full of people with mental derangements.
>>
>>706797046
Well by now your brain is used to eating that food and maybe your getting skin eating healthy food because uour body maybe be associating it as low nutrient bad food. it's about changing the underlying thought behind it.
>>
>>706797046
sick*
>>
>>706797004
mothers always want to help their children and sometimes this desire takes painful forms. especially when everyone has build a wall and there are no means to break it. communication is always a thing of two. maybe listening to her reasonably and analysing what it true and what not, allows you to tell her what you dont seem right about her.

>>706796809
Its still a complicated case, although I would say that we can discard schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder as well. The duration just not fit in.

Pseudohallucinations and the acknoledgement of delusions are a good thing. Very good compared to schizophrenia. Also the pseudohallucinations and delusions arent very complex or intense.

Then there are of course the episodes you mention when everything goes to hell.

Let me think about it for a moment
>>
>>706797158
/B/ro, it sounds fucked to say but I experienced almost the exact same situation, and my best advice is to move on. I tried for ever with my ex and had zero support from anyone, especially her. She wouldn't take meds or follow treatment. If she doesn't want help then move on before it's too late. Imagine having children with the same issues. Dealing with the problem forever and it only gets worse/harder.
>>
>>706797158
sounds like my family too be honest. That would be so hard for her
>>
>>706797046
Studies have shown that children who have been forced to eat everything by their parents, later develop picky eating

Hypnotherapie could be a thing, but you could also outsmart your brain. I suppose you like eating in general, and as long as you dont force yourself to eat something you dont "like" you dont build up resistance to it. Try discovering food anew, like it was for the first time. Without stress or without forcing you.

It seems to be classical conditioning
>>
>>706797376
I can also mention that she does tell me she is constantly in these delusions, she just suppresses it through occupying herself.

That being the case it true, it is not possible to tell whether we can really discard those.
>>
>>706797376
I tell with her harshly with cruel names when she starts yelling that I left my stuff in the lounge room and she keeps on yelling. I often say she is exaggerating and has psychosis because your marking a big deal about a small issue. I know it's the wrong way to deal with her but I just don't understand why she tells so much and completely losses her shit over a few cords a few pairs of shoes clutter on the table... it's just a big overreaction in my eyes because all it takes is for her just to tell me and I can pick it up. she yells like she doesn't believe I will do it unless she harasses and yells at me.
>>
>>706797457
Her suffering I can say is like staring into a pit of hell where billions suffer.
>>706797388
I understand. I am a strong person though and I have generally been able to cope with it if you cannot tell. I am a very strange person myself in terms or emotions and thinking if that is not obvious.
>>
>>706797388
Also she is an antinatalist and literally begs me to get a vasectomy.
>>
>>706797573
Thanks alot /b/tard.
>>
>>706797848
yeah sometimes it feels that way. That like my mother I feel if I don't make her aware of her problem I will die and the world will shatter to pieces.
>>
>>706797376
I have also thought of hypomaniac symptoms she has had but my knowledge on hypomania is currently limited.
>>
>>706797714
Delusions wouldnt be enough for a diagnosis of schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder

You have also to take in consideration how these symptoms impact on a daily life. Is she able to work or to do normal stuff?

A duration of a few days is unusual, specially if its changes in mood and psychotic symptoms.
>>
>>706797898
I understand, my saving grace in my own situation was her cheating on me when she ran away after trying to get her treatment for the last time and getting pregnant by one of her friends. If that hadn't have happened I would've never left. Best of luck to you /b/rother
>>
>>706797768
well thats communication that only worsens things. how about you try for a week to do what she says and see what happens?
>>
>>706797898
and I mentally beg a guy that's my friend to get me pregnant in my head for no reason but I am obsessed with the idea of being pregnant like it's desirable and sexy to me.
>>
>>706798227
I just slip back old ways I don't know why it's so hard for me to keep things clean and not make a mess. do I just forget everyday?
>>
>>706798146
the depressive episodes are a sure thing. the freezups and the psychotic breakouts however do not speak for a hypomaniac disorder. there must be something more.

you will need to engage in what she said about the reexperiencing stuff and if the freezups are connected. they could be the key.

nevertheless she needs get treatment by psychiatrists and psychologists at least. there surely are deeper things under her surface that need to come and sortet out
>>
>>706777095
Dunno if you're still here OP, or if this is even a relevant question, but: How do i find out what i want to do with my life? I'm sorta good at a few things but not good at one particular thing. I've no clue in which direction i should go or look to.

I also have difficulty with procrastination and any help on that front that isn't "just do your work" etc. would be very greatly appreciated. thank you.
>>
>>706798148
She cannot work. She is incapable. She tells me she is genuinely debilitated and crippled when her mind wanders too far.
>>
>>706798210
She is a much different person. She has no friends due to family and avoidance issues. And she has no sexual desire until I make her have it (somehow her attachment and obsession caused her scope to be narrowed to certain things I believe.)
>>
>>706798401
I agree. You bring many valid points. I am going to further investigation into what you talk about in the second paragraph. I will email you another time. I must sleep now, for I have work in five hours.

Do svidaniya i spokojnoj noczi bratiszek
>>
>>706798415
i dont know what your resources are. a good way is to work in different fields for a short time to see if you like something.

procrastination is yourself slowing you down. i have always used a slow routine to start what i had to do. i started listening to some music and in the end i ended up studying to it. other people say you should do small steps and then treat yourself
>>
>>706798443
>>706798742
one thing left, never use this diagnosis or names on her or your environment. these names do more harm than good because its like a stigma and there are many prejudices around them.

just describe her qualitatively how she is, without the names. im sure you can sort things out with a good communication to start with
>>
>>706799043
Her and I already speak about these things often, she is also unaware as to what it is but she knows she has something or a complex of derangements. I know how to not do harm, I am very self aware and my strength is in extraversion and understanding in this way. So I know what to say, how to say, what words to use, etc. Thank you for the advice though. I appreciate it.

Prijatno zakomnitsja
>>
can you measure love?
>>
>>706799433
no
>>
>>706799670
:(
>>
thats it guy. im off.

good thread, thanks for the questions
>>
Do you approve of medication by injection? I had a friend who was on dosages of haloperidol and he was mostly miserable. His muscles didn't work properly, he had a lot of muscle cramps and spasms, he couldn't speak, he couldn't control himself and he said it was very painful just to walk.

This looks inhumane to me, and I don't know why do psychologists approve this kind of medication to their patients, it honestly looks to do more harm than good.
Thread replies: 175
Thread images: 3

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site. This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.