Navigation: /b/ - Random [Archive] | Search | Blowjobs | Archived.Moe | 4Archive.org [Home]
4chan archive logo
common core thread.
The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.
You are currently reading a thread in /b/ - Random

Thread replies: 168
Thread images: 19
File: what the fuck.jpg (25 KB, 627x270) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
what the fuck.jpg
25 KB, 627x270
common core thread.


what the fuck am i reading?
>>
>>702915967
what. the. fuck. did. i. just. read.

Is this how counting is teached to children in the USA?
>>
fuck i remember that shit, op's underage or a retard
>>
File: Teresa.jpg (99 KB, 640x392) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Teresa.jpg
99 KB, 640x392
>>702915967
>when something is so simple that it's hard to explain it.
>>
File: 1423rwesf.png (65 KB, 625x626) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1423rwesf.png
65 KB, 625x626
>>702916076
>>
>>702915967
That's not what I was shown in school here in Canada, but that's how I do mental calculations
>>
I know you're all trolling...

..but in case not, math teacher here. And a parent.

My 6693 - 2573 is a completely different problem from 2002 - 1997. Kids need to learn how to deal with both efficiently. The method you'd use for the first is stupid for the second. Vice versa.

My 5 year old did 15 + 7 in her head - quickly - the other day by realizing that 7 is just 5+2. Most kids that age would have to use their fingers.
>>
>>702915967
You retards seriously can't understand that? Have you never added by parts in your head before?

Like 13+26. Mentally, you add the 6 to 13 first to have 19, then add the remaining 20 to have 39.

You're just breaking the number up so its easier.
>>
>>702916070
>Teached
Taught, my European simpleton. Taught.
>>
>>702916314

That being said, the worksheet is stupid. The things I just described don't really fit that problem. Don't blame common core and alternative problem solving strategies whenever you see a shitty worksheet.

And keep in mind most adults (including teachers) suck at basic math. So they have no idea what they're talking about...

...but that doesn't mean Common Core is bad. Just idiots implementing it.
>>
The idea in OP's pic was twofold
Firstly, it supposedly helps students "make sense" of numbers by illustrating how numbers can be broken up and rearranged to get the same sum
Secondly, its supposed to simplify adding my making 10, which is an easy number to work with
In practice however, this system is retarded as fuck. It moderately helps the high level kids but completely fucks over mid and low level kids.

Good news however is that this system failed so spectacularly that its being phased out now and will be gone completely in another two years or so

Source: my girlfriend is a public school math teacher so i know all the inner workings of the department of ed
>>
>>702915967
14
>>
>>702916276
Me too.
I think thats the idea. Trying to teach kids to do this. But i dont think its the right way..
>>
The concept can be useful for something more complex. Like... X*9 = 10X-X
1234321*9=12343210-1234321 is much faster than long multiplication.
But using this to add 7 and 7 is fucked.
>>
What kind've dumb fucking shit is this?

Yes, we all number substitute in our head. This isn't meant to be something you're fucking taught, you should pick it up and start doing it naturally once you have a basic understanding.

I can't imagine how utterly useless i would be at shit if i wasn't allowed to learn this basic shit naturally, useless hand holding shit.

Also that sheet better be for fucking very young kids, i was a retard at maths when younger and even i would've had no problem with 7+7
>>
>>702915967
That instruction sentence is fucking retarded. Why the hell would you explain such a simple concept in such a difficult manner?
>>
>>702916577
yes! i am first! you can't even solve so easy problem
>>
>>702915967
sorry OP, I can't add numbers. I can only add soccer balls, fans, clocks, and colored shapes.
>>
>>702917032
that sheets probably geared towards kindergarten or first grade, but its currently no different for older kids, just more complicated numbers to work with.

the idea is that while most people do number substitutions in their heads, its not conscious. By being aware of it, kids supposedly become better at math.

In practice though this failed as badly as napoleon did in russia
>>
>>702916426
I think the complaint was about how arkward and needlessly complicated the question was worded.
It should just have read 'Break up the numbers in a way that makes addition easier' or whatever.
>>
>>702915967
7+7 = 7+(3+4) = (7+3)+4 = 10+4 = 14
>>
>>702917716
You think that way now because you're past the point of learning how to think like that. The kiddos need to learn how to think like that.
>>
>>702917032
> kind've

No, not all people do this in their head - that's the problem. Educators noticed that a large number of students were not understanding how math works, they were just memorizing well enough to pass and move on. They didn't just complicate math for the hell of it, they did it to make sure all students were forced to learn math rather than memorize.
>>
>>702915967
>>
>>702917359
>colored shapes
I like they too. It's so intresting. They can be red, green or yellow. But most of all I like green.
>>
File: 1469336121085.jpg (43 KB, 570x587) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1469336121085.jpg
43 KB, 570x587
>>702915967
>>
>>702917793
Did you even fucking read the question?
This isn't some complicated concept. The question makes the little trick of adding towards tens appear like rocket science.
>>
>>702917931
>But most of all I like green.
No! Pink! I like pink. This is my favorite color.
>>
>>702918191
It probably is rocket science to 8 year olds, nigga
>>
File: pnsIHAZ.jpg (31 KB, 706x429) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
pnsIHAZ.jpg
31 KB, 706x429
>>702915967

meanwhile in Japan
>>
>>702917032
>This isn't meant to be something you're fucking taught

You a teacher? Until you've taught kids, you have no idea.

Things that shouldn't have to be taught: how to type a letter on a keyboard.

Things I've spent all fucking week teaching: how to type a letter on a keyboard.

I certainly didn't intend to teach it, but some kids have no clue, growing up with touchscreens. I thought it would be common sense... nope.
>>
import java.util.*;

public class HelloWorld3 {

public static void main(String args[]) {

Scanner Console = new Scanner(System.in);

System.out.println("Hello World");

String Hello = Console.next(); //Reads User input

if (Hello.equals("Hey")) // Begins if statement

System.out.println("What is my purpose?"); // if statement ends

String Hello2 = Console.next();

if (Hello2.equals("butter"))

System.out.println(":(");
}
}

So this works fine, but if I change if (Hello2.equals("butter")) to (Hello2.equals("You pass me butter")) it stops working. What do I need to add?
>>
>>702918330
That's my fucking point. It absolutely doesn't have to be. Word the question differently and it's as intuitive as fucking walking.
'number bounds', 'skip count'.
What do these words accomplish?
Just show someone how to add towards tens and how it makes the subsequent addition easier.
>>
>>702918624
> this shitcode
scratch is better
>>
File: I'mNuclear.png (40 KB, 786x217) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
I'mNuclear.png
40 KB, 786x217
>>
>>702916426

This is bullshit. Obviously you would add 10 to the 26 then add 3 to that.
>>
>>702918700
It's not intuitive for everyone, and it's probably not intuitive for the children learning it.
>>
>>702918624
>java

Sudoku
>>
>>702919093
crossword
>>
>>702919208
puzzle
>>
>>702918494
This method involves visual inputs. I tried it and I like it.
It's the same as an abacus.
>>
>>702918624

Troll? equals is a perfect match.
>>
>>702916426

No.

You add the 10 to the 20 to make 30 then 3 to the 6 to make 9 then add them together.
>>
>>702915967
That's actually how I do math tho. Always habe, they didn't teach it I just figured it out. Like say I the equation was 7+5, it was always fast for me to add the three then the two together to get twelve then just memorize the answer. But my brain works different because I had the umbilical cord wrapped around my neck three times. I'm not retarded or anything, just certain things I have to do differently. The way I add is different, but for some reason I subtract like everyone else. And I learned a different way to tie things, like my shoes. I am kind of depressed to know tho that common core is the way I do math, because for most people it's just more complicated it's not easier
>>
>>702915967
> d-d-d-duh i lurned it a different way
> d-d-d-duh the only way to do it is the way that is my mind

Sent from my Android phone
>>
File: image.jpg (84 KB, 550x550) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
image.jpg
84 KB, 550x550
>>
Common core is not that bad, it's just more of a logical approach to math rather than just saying "know how to add"

If you can't understand it and it upsets you, seek help; chances are you're retarded and autistic
>>
>>702919048
Do you not get what I'm saying? Like at all?
Instead of making it more intuitive for children, this stuff is actually obscuring a natural and logical way towards the problem.
Math may not be intuitive for everyone, but shit like this is making it even more unintuitive than it needs to be.
>>
File: 1471038453254.png (327 KB, 522x593) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1471038453254.png
327 KB, 522x593
>>702918583
>spending a WEEK teaching "how to type on a keyboard"
>clearly either not a teacher, about to not be a teacher, or really really lucky he has tenure because he's an AWFUL teacher
>>
>>702919566

Please tell me that's not real
>>
File: lol_Amadeus.jpg (47 KB, 886x376) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
lol_Amadeus.jpg
47 KB, 886x376
>>702916426
For me it's more like I just solve the right column first and put down my answer and then the left column next and put down my answer. Sort of like how I was taught in school before math was declared racist and common core was invented.

26 6+3=9
+13
____
9

26 2+1=3
+ 13
_____
39

So the answer is 39. And I didn't need to take the extra steps to actually notate the mental processes involved in how you do it in your head on paper. Niggers.
>>
>>702919566
this annoys me. I want to punch that teacher in the face.
>>
>>702919566
That just made me REEEEEEEEEEE so hard..
>>
>>702917716

Vague directions with no help from teachers is how I learned the multiplication table 2 days after my class did.

It went along the lines of "List multiplications that result in X".

20=?
20=1x20

16=?
16=1x16...
>>
>>702919424
After reading this thread I feel better about this, apparently this is common for people to do, and I've told people I work with about it but they act like I'm strange and say it's to complicated. It comes in handy for me tho, having a 0 to work with just makes it faster for doing in my head and it is easier to keep track of shit
>>
>>702919390

if (Hello2.equals("You pass me butter"))

Isn't You pass me butter a perfect match to this?

But it doesn't work, program just ends there. If I don't put in any spaces, like change make it just equals(butter) and just type butter, then it works again.
>>
Wasn't taught common core but this is already kind of how I do things like that.

For something like 7+6, I'd add 3 to 7 making 10, then add the remaining 3 to 10 to make 13.

Sounds stupid when written out, but it's what I think a lot of people do quickly in their head without thinking about it.
>>
>>702919566
>>702919702
marty's pizza is larger retard. you need some common core apparently

Sent from my Android phone
>>
>>702915967
i do this in my head automatically if teh numbers are too big. i guess this helps?
>>
>>702915967
what the fuck, im not american and i've never seen anyone do this before but i think this when i do math in my head ever since i was 8 years old LOL
>>
>>702919869
I think that's what he's saying, and is shocked at the teacher's response.
>>
>>702919960

Obviously
>>
>>702918494
Seeing this fucking changed my life. Holy shit.
>>
>>702919566

>>702919702
>>702919772
>>702919800

But the answer in green is the correct answer because the question was a trick question to make sure the kid understood fractions. There is nothing mentioned about Marty and Luis having different sized pizzas.

How this annoys you or makes you REEEE is beyond me.
>>
>>702919862
I always thought so to but most people I've talked to about it don't think so
>>
>>702917032
>even i would've had no problem with 7+7
because your teacher gave you a paper with all possible additions of single digits and you memorized them
how is that better than this?
>>
>>702919566
Wow, smart kid, stupid teacher.
>>
>>702916262
I will see your bait and raise you nobody counts liek this
>>
>>702918494
Well thats it then. Kids and I are on our way to Japan..
>>
>>702916276
Same here, from Canada too, we're just superior
>>
>>702919990

You are trolling right?
The kid's answer is the only right one, and demonstrates that he or she understands fractions.
>>
File: catroomguardian.jpg (35 KB, 600x564) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
catroomguardian.jpg
35 KB, 600x564
>>702915967
>skip counting
>number bonds
the fuck do they mean
>>
>>702920161
Because adding 7 + 7 is so fucking hard... Thank goodness someone came up with a short cut!
>>
>>702918494
Is there a way to prove that this works? Not just for 12*13, but for all numbers?
>>
>>702919990
Judging by the hand writing that kid is < 10. Most likely between 5 - 7. Giving them trick questions questions at that age is fucking retarded.
>>
>>702919990
How is it, being that stupid?
>>
>>702919990
you're fucking retarded and should kill yourself along with that stupid fuck up of a teacher
>>
>>702920285

It does, but with larger numbers it gets a little more complicated.
>>
>>702920285
Experimentarion
>>
>>702920285
I tried 15x14
It works, bigger numbers means more lines to add though
>>
>>702920127
Nigger. Listen here.

6/6 of a pizza equals a pizza that has 6 slices.

Marty and Luis go to a pizza shop. They don't like the same toppings so they decide to order two separate pizzas.

Each pizza comes with six slices.

Marty ate 4 slices of his pizza.

Luis ate 5 slices of his pizza.

How in the fuck can Marty have eaten more pizza than Luis? HE CAN'T, FUCK STICK! The question is a charade to make sure that kids understand fractions. What's sad is you guys think this kid saying "hurrr well I guess Marty got a bigger pizza because I can't into fractions durrr" is somehow profound.

Trust me, I hate common core. But this picture has no context and you're reading something into it, trolling, or you're just as bad at basic math as this kid who got question number 8 wrong.
>>
>>702915967
>2016
>not using number bonds
>>
>>702920246
yeah because simple algebra was hard enough on the kids
>>
>>702915967
>american education
do you guys not have teachers?
do you just go to school get homework and leave?
this paper isn't supposed to teach you anything
the teachers (are supposed to) show you how to do it in class first, and then give you homework so you can practice it at home or whatever
>hey kids
>this is how to do "number bonds" to "skip-count"
notice the keywords
>7 + 7 = blabla
> / \
> 3 4

>"huh wtf is this question about"
>"'number bonds', 'skip-count',.. isn't that what the teacher showed us"
this is literally how the human brain works
you associate things with other things
you can put a shakespeare quote in the question if you want
as long as the question can be recognized by the students there is no problem
this system is perfect
assuming my first statement is true
>>
>>702920454

The question gives you some rules, it's an axiom!!! The only way that axiom can be true, is the kid's answer, which is flawless!!!

I would go to the principal and ask for that teacher to be fired!
>>
>>702915967
I thought GCSE higher maths was hard
>>
>>702919852
I bet you just messed up capitalization
if not then it's clearly a problem with spaces
look into that
>>
>>702920625
is that why americans are so "smart"
>>
>>702916440
whoa, do not call him a simpleton. he is ignorant sir, I am a simpleton
>>
>>702920454
Lets put it simple for you. Marty orders a 24' pizza and Luis orders a 16 inch pizza. Marty's slices are 4 inches each and Luis' are 2.666 inches each.

Marty eats a total of 16 inches, which is the size of Luis' pizza. So Marty eats more.
>>
>>702920454
It states "Marty are more pizza than Luis" which is a known fact. It did not say how can Marty have eaten more pizza than Luis. Yes the fraction 5/6 is larger than 4/6 but that is not what they are asking
>>
>>702920454
No dude, you're wrong. The problem states that Marty ate MORE pizza and HOW is that possible.

The only way to eat more pizza despite a smaller fraction is to have eaten more surface area. Therefore he has to have a large pizza, while Luis ate a small pizza.

5/6 of a small pizza - while fractionally larger, is less pizza than 4/6 of a large pizza.

The kid was correct.
>>
>>702920921
No where did it say that both pizzas where the same size. It wasn't a trick question, it was a bad question.
>>
>>702920708
For the most part teachers are forced to teach this shit whether they like it or not. It wouldn't be their fault but rather the school administration who selected the material.
> B.A. in early education
>>
Here's all you need to know about Common Core.

It was co-written by some tool named "pook" who admitted they did common core to end "white privilege"

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2015/03/teacher_admits_he_wrote_common_core_to_end_white_privilege_.html

He teaches at a school that doesn't teach common core because they don't allow it.

So how fucked is that?
>>
>>702919989
no it didn't
stop lying
>>
>>702921155
To add, he teaches at a private school that costs over $30k a year. No common core there where he teaches.

Again, fine for you poor white folk, but not for the rich kids. You poor white folks can slum with the blacks I guess.
>>
>>702915967
I've seen this before and was rather confused about it. But when I think about it, I do it, too.

When adding numbers I just subtract from one, and add to the other to make the nearest 10.
So in this case you make 10 and are left with 4 so you end up with 14.
Just makes for easy counting in your head.
>>
>>702920795
the problem is parents and other people around them thinking common is stupid and making the children think so too
in the end the kids won't even try because 'hurr durr it's bullshit anyway'
>>
>>702921155
>Perhaps the real problem with public education is caused by liberalism
article lost all credibility in one sentence
>inb4 liberal fag
A non neutral article should never be trusted
>>
>>702921313
This is very true. My gf refuses to help our kids with they're homework because of it. I picked up on it pretty quick so it's not a problem for them but I'm sure their are a ton of kids who aren't as lucky..
>>
>>702919990
It doesn't give necessary information at that point, then. It asks "How is this possible?"
It doesn't ask "Is this possible?" Meaning that the 7 year old has better reading comprehension than the shitty teacher, and you, too.
>>
>>702921521
I hope you don't have to help them with English.
>>
>>702919566
This is bullshit of the highest degree. Nowhere else in this kid's education where something the question says is true not be true.
>>
>>702921484
Faggot, it's the first thing that came up in a google search. Search yourself. There's a video of him saying it in a conference room.

> hurr durr... I'm a sheep and can't research myself
>>
>>702915967
i get the idea with 7 + 3 + 4, do this all the time, but what the fuck with 10 + 4? what am i supposed to do with that?
>>
>>702921607
I have a masters in English Lit.
> pointing out gramatical errors on le 4th channel.
You must be very proud of you're self..
>>
>>702915967
if you don't already add to the nearest ten for the majority of math problems, you're probably a retard who can't do math in his head worth dick.

This is how math should have been taught, because this is how gifted kids make shortcuts and do math better than fucking normies.

>>702916276
This guy knows whats up
>>
I guess it's just asking "How to add and make 14?"

I used to just look at the shit in class and doit in my head quickly with some fucked about way that I couldn't explain to the teacher without being told I'm wrong, which was a problem because we had to show work or our answer was automatically wrong. Along with that, if the work we showed wasn't the way our teacher wanted, it was still wrong even if your answer was right.
>>
>>702921795
>masters in any literate
Your kids are the ones who aren't as lucky
>>
>>702921785
7+7=14
10+4=14
Attempting to show different paths to the same solution.
>>
>>702916314
>My 6693 - 2573 is a completely different problem from 2002 - 1997

The fuck did I just read?

I'm an oldfag who never did common core. I'm OK at math for somebody who's job & lifestyle requires precisely zero math, and I have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>702921795
timestamped pics of you, your photo ID, and your degree or GTFO
>>
>>702915967

We ALL do that in our heads. We simply weren't taught that in that pretentious, pompous overcomplicated way.
>>
Who the fuck does math like this
>>
>>702920625
The only thing this teaches is to look for keywords and then just automatically use whatever method you were taught.
It doesn't make you evaluate the problem and understand the solution. The only thing that happens in your brain is 'I see this word X, so I do Y'.
It's a perfect system to nourish mindless worker drones.
>>
File: 61X0P0W1JCL.jpg (67 KB, 413x500) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
61X0P0W1JCL.jpg
67 KB, 413x500
>>702919638
teaching mechanical skills out of fucking nowhere when your lesson requires those skills and none of your retard ipad babies have that skill can set your lesson back really far.

Also, are you fucking retarded? Do you know how long it takes a kid to learn to type when they have zero experience on a mechanical keyboard? did you not play fucking jumpstart typing?
>>
>>702921902
I like to read and write..
But, yeah completely useless degree.
>>
>>702915967
>they're teaching children math in a way that I don't understand and am unfamiliar with
>I can't help my children with their math homework because I don't understand it
>I could possibly learn these new methods with a five minute Google search, but I'm too fucking lazy and stubborn
>It's much easier to complain about how stupid Common Core is, so I'll do that instead
>>
>>702916499
Well you don't know that much if you don't know it was adopted by some states and not all and that phasing it out of one state means fuck all.

Side note, it was developed by teachers. It's actually a good system if bother learning the methods and terms. Of course, shit kids that get no help from parents will continue to be shit kids, so that point is moot.

tl;dr you're an idiot and have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>702921879
This always pissed me off. Part of the reason I gave up in school. It's all really just obedience classes until college, and even there now.
>>
File: 1374792256855.gif (1 MB, 640x360) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1374792256855.gif
1 MB, 640x360
>>702915967
God damn are you retarded or something?
The question is asking what is 7+7=?
It is proposing that one way to solve this is by finding the "number bonds" AKA 3+4 (which equals 7 for you retards)
Then use these number bonds to easily add 7+7 by adding 7+3 to get 10, then adding 10+4=14 which gives you the answer to 7+7=14
God damn how can you guys be so dense?
>>
>>702918494
i don't get this, how do you operate?
>>
>>702915967

You are all wrong.
The correct answer is: "That's almost twenty"
>>
ITT trolls don't understand Common Core math while small children do.
They might be attempting to phase out Common Core wherever the anon who said they were lives, but at STEM schools around Chicago they seem to be keeping it.

Common Core math emulates the number structures of other cultures- namely Asian ones- who count like so: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-10+1-10+2-10+3...
Most European counting systems go: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14...

The European counting system makes rapid number processing more difficult, because it doesn't inherently clump numbers into tens, which is useful since we use a base-10 mathematical system. It's the reason Asians are better than us at math, or so they say.

References- I am an undergraduate education major who just finished 80 hours of observation in a STEM 4th grade class in the Chicago burbs.
>>
>>702922531
>not getting what people are referring to this hard
>>
I've talked to actual teachers and students studying education at the main university in my town and they all have said that the common core is a nightmare that they have to use because kids are losing interest in education. This is a struggle they are scrambling to fix.
>>
>>702922515
I just barely passed until HS because there was actually a good math teacher. He asked me why I wasn't showing any work, and I told him. He'd ask me every once in a while on a new subject how I got an answer, and after I explained it he was okay with it. He was chill as fuck and the only reason I passed most of HS honestly.

Sidenote, I went to school in Texas, which doesn't have this common core garbage. It probably wouldn't be confusing if I was taught it or learned it myself, but I already know how to do math. No need in re-learning it in a completely roundabout way without a teacher.
>>
>>702922741

Then we should change language.

nine, then, oneteen, twoteen, threeteen, fourteen, fiveteen.... and so on
>>
>>702922791
Then enlighten me, almighty anon. For, I am retarded.
>>
>>702923067

ten
>>
>>702922741
I don't understand common core but I understand math. If you're taught it from the ground up without knowing another way, then it's probably pretty okay. If you look at it without having been taught it, then it's a jumble of shit imo.
>>
>>702922263
mavis beacon 4 lyfe, nigga
>>
File: 20160907_104311.jpg (3 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
20160907_104311.jpg
3 MB, 4032x3024
>>702922598
Yeah. I'm missing something too.
>>
>>702923102
The problem is with how ridiculously convoluted the question is.
Adding towards tens is a pretty intuitive concept for most people. But the question uses so much unnessary vocabulary and is just so awkwardly worded, it would confuse the average student more than teach him something.
>>
>>702915967
It's teaching kids how to do math in their heads because their parents are too shitty to have taught them already.
>>
>>702921795
Bragging about skills and not showing proof as you talk is deplorable anon.
Have some pride.
>>
>>702921795
>proud of you're self..
People missing the very obvious bait.
>>
>>702922741
>>702923067
German uses addition in counting and French uses multiplication and addition
>>
Time for me to find a pen and paper to post better maths.
>>
File: 20160907_105233.jpg (3 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
20160907_105233.jpg
3 MB, 4032x3024
>>702923353
¿
>>
>>702920127
This is the correct analysis. Since Marty ate less, fraction-wise, but the question asserts he ate more pizza, the only way that is possible is if the pizza was larger, so he literally ate more by area.

It implies he does indeed understand fractions. And lateral thinking that would do a Mensa member proud.

Now if this question was in a section where he was supposed to determine true or false, then he got the answer wrong. But that would be the teacher's fault if he didn't know that.
>>
>>702915967
isnt this what learning your times tables is for? They still teach that right?

7x2 is 14, x3 is 21, x 4 is 28.....
>>
>>702916314
Shit that's what that pic was trying to say? I learned that by myself without common core. What else do they teach, that any number times 9 is just that number times 10 minus itself?
>>
>>702923370
Sure, the wording doesn't make any sense because you have not been taught what they mean.
But, seeing as the children who have been learning this have probably been taught what these words mean. This should be a nonissue.
I mean, I was able to just self-intuit what they meant by reading the question and I don't know the first thing about Common Core.
Number bonds: a group of numbers that add up to another number. 3+4 in this case
skip-count: Using the number bonds to count larger amounts than 1. So instead of saying what's 7+7? then counting from 7 to 14 one by one you skip some numbers.
The wording outside of those is pretty horrendous though
>"skip-count by seven by making ten or adding to the ones"
Even knowing what skip-count means that sentence is fucking retarded. I can agree on that, but that isn't the fault of common core. That's just someone who is illiterate and can't form a basic sentence.
>>
>>702923912
Forgot your tens and hundreds
400+200+24=624
>>
>>702916314
Wait. the fuck? 5th graders in the US need fingers to count 15+7? We did that shit in the first grade.
>>
>>702923912
Green x light blue is 10x10 each time
>>
>>702922929
My teachers always thought I was cheating. They'd ask why I didn't show my work, I'd say I did it in my head, they'd make me do it in front of them. Ironically all the other students were cheating off of me haha
>>
>>702924617
5 year old not 5th grader you fucking mong
>>
>>702923912
Dark blue x green (10x1)8=80
Light blue x black (10x1)12=120
120+80=200
>>
>>702915967
Day tell'n yo to skip count all up in da place nigga! Wat the fuck is wrong wit yo? It easy Seben plus seben be forteen, but yo can also be gett'n dare by by seben plus tree den four dat be forteen also. White boy.
>>
>>702915967
>doesnt understand basic maths
Shouldn't you be in school right now?
>>
So if I'm reading this correctly what one does in there head would be
7+7=?
Then you split a 7 so now its
7+3+4=?
And then just make a ten to make it easy?
10+4=14
I always did this shit in my head but is that what's being taught here?
>>
>>702924440
>>702924646
>>702924943
Fucking hell.
> am retard now
>>
>>702920285
>>702918494

it's just the visualization of (a+b)*(c+d) = ac + ad + bc +bd

what you're seeing here is just that 13*12 = 10*10 + 10*2 + 3*10 + 3*2
>>
>>702923353
actually this one helped it make sense to me, the first (from left) is hundreds, second is 10s, third is ones.
>>
Is this the average common-core detractor?

Cause this seems like basic math shit
>>
I have 2 friends who in administrations in schools.

One is a Principal, the other is a Vice Principal.

They both hate but like the Common Core. They taught me Common Core in 5 minutes. It's basically how ANY decently smart person does when they need to do math in their head.

You break down numbers/ equations to simpler steps... even if it means alot MORE steps

This method would have been great to start teaching kids back in the 50s when they were counting using dun dials or whatever they did back when faggots did what they were supposed to do and hide.

But we now have phones in our pockets that are thousands of times more powerful than any computer they had back in those days.

USA's math would jump a 100 fold if we just accepted calculators after elementary school.
>>
>>702925463
Yep, just tried another looking at it like that and boom!
>>
>>702916440
The irony behind this is we say "taught" in Europe whilst the US is the kind to used the "-ed" suffix.

Learned is a perfect example. It's learnt you spastics.
>>
File: 20160907_112104.jpg (3 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
20160907_112104.jpg
3 MB, 4032x3024
>>702925463
>>702925920
Forgot pic.

Btw thanks to all the Anons in this thread for helping me learn something new!!
>>
File: 1440881998124.png (417 KB, 456x415) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1440881998124.png
417 KB, 456x415
>>702918494
>>
>>702925897
Oh shut up, every human being should be able to do basic addition and substraction in their head, even with a calculator in your pocket.
If you don't have at least a tiny smidge of intuition when it comes to mathematics, then a calculator won't help you one bit.
>>
>>702926469

*sigh*

> after elementary school

which is wear you do you bulk of ur additional subtraction, multiplication, and division.

I'm glad you're big on math, but evidently your reading comprehension is for shit
>>
>>702924855
I actually slept through my senior year of math when since Mr. R taught Seniors, too. I would do enough work to know I knew how to do it and then copy of of the other people to get my work done. It would've taken me too much time since I was too late to check out a Calculator because my school only had a limited amount. One day this bitch who tried to cheat on my best friend with me decided to keep me from copying because "I'm too dumb and don't deserve to pass." Asked Mr. R for the weeks work and got it done in that hour, with like 6 sheets of paper filled with work. Can do anything without graphing calculators except the super complicated graphs.

Fun part is she tried to get him to fail me by saying I was looking up the answers, even with my pages of work. He laughed.

Freshman year I only did half of my final, but since I got everything I did right he gave me 100 anyway.
>>
>>702915967
thats pretty funny, and dumb
>>
>>702927017
Yes, fucking well after elemantary school you still should not overuse calculators.
I know exactly where it ends.
Kids typing in 13+8 into their calculators because it's just their first instinct. They don't even look at the prbolem before taking out their calculator.
You can't do advanced math without understanding how numbers work and what terms represent. A calculator takes that understanding away from you.
Thread replies: 168
Thread images: 19
Thread DB ID: 79215



Navigation: /b/ - Random [Archive] | Search | [sexy] | 4Archive.org | [Home]

Navigation: /b/ - Random [Archive] | Search | [sexy] | 4Archive.org | [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.