Navigation: /b/ - Random [Archive] | Search | [Home]
RandomArchive logo

What is reality? I've been researching quantum physics

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 312
Thread images: 21
File: multiversum.jpg (74 KB, 640x476) Image search: [Google]
multiversum.jpg
74 KB, 640x476
What is reality?
I've been researching quantum physics for the past week and I'm absolutely overwhelmed. If the reality changes itself when someone is observing it, does it mean we are even real?

What if there are infinite amount of parallel universes? What is matter? What if deja vu is related to those? What is reality?

Holy shit these kinds of things are interesting and also scary at the same time.
>>
>>702705108
I’m Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I’ve learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
>>
who knows maybe science is wrong and we are poligons
>>
Tryptamine psychedelics might answer some of these questions for you. But you will have more questions after.
>>
>>702705719
I got a dufflebag full of expired ground beef and used tampons.

I'm looking to get $7000 for it.
>>
what if it's all related to electromagnetism and through mastery of those forces you can do almost anything like time travel or move faster than light or regenerate your body or teleport
>>
>>702705108
I want to fuck the female version of me soooo hard
>>
>>702705719
>Tryptamine psychedelics might answer some of these questions for you. But you will have more questions after.

I will try out DMT when the time is right.
>>
Go watch PBS Space Time and gtfo until you have watched and understood all their videos, faggot.
>>
>>702706136
A cigarette is a small cylinder of finely cut tobacco leaves rolled in thin paper for smoking. The cigarette is ignited at one end causing the cigarette to smoulder and allowing smoke to be inhaled from the other end, which is held in or to the mouth; in some cases, a cigarette holder may be used, as well. Most modern manufactured cigarettes are filtered, save Camel Unfiltered, Lucky Strike, Pall Mall Unfiltered, and Natural American Spirit, and also include reconstituted tobacco and other additives.[1]

The term cigarette, as commonly used, refers to a tobacco cigarette, but can apply to similar devices other substances, such as cannabis. A cigarette is distinguished from a cigar by its smaller size, use of processed leaf, and paper wrapping, which is normally white, though other colors and flavors are also available. Cigars are typically composed entirely of whole-leaf tobacco.
>>
>>702705583

i'm a multigon
>>
>>702705108
>when someone is observing it
Now imagine some of the shortcuts you might use to conserve computer resources if you were creating a simulation of a universe.
>>
>>702706130
I'd go lsd if you want to understand the universe, dmt might leave you with more questions than answers
>>
>>702707224
This reality is so complex there are only questions
>>
File: MYfreeCams-0002.jpg (318 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
MYfreeCams-0002.jpg
318 KB, 1920x1080
>>702705108
Most people underestimate the scale of the known universe. Even just our own galaxy is so unfathomably large. And there are billions of galaxies.

Most people underestimate the scale of time. Our own planet is about 4 billion years old. When you look out the window and see a multitude of life and living things, it's easy to see why so many believe in some sort of creator or god.

Evolution was able to create us humans from a puddle of amino acids, over a time span of a few billion years. It's interesting to me how evolution naturally happens.

To me there is easily other life out there, aquatic life, and land and air. There is probably a planet out there right now teeming with dinosaur like life. Humanoid life is also likely, and it's especially interesting to me. I wonder how close we look to other humanoid life forms. And how our level of intelligence compares.
>>
File: 1.jpg (42 KB, 778x675) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
42 KB, 778x675
Don't think. Just live.

Or something lol. Carefull tho. Go too deep and you might go insane.
>>
>>702705108
>If the reality changes itself when someone is observing it, does it mean we are even real?
You can always tell when science has run out of ideas.
The guys with mystical ideas start to dominate.
Look up phlogiston in Wikipedia. It answered all the questions despite being wrong. A bit like the "Dark" concepts that astronomers are using to paper over their failures.
>>
>>702708192
Oh look. A peddler of woo pretending to have any idea what he's talking about. That's new.
>>
>>702707507
>It's interesting to me how evolution naturally happens.
...and it's still happening. It didn't stop when Darwin published. New species are evolving right now.
>>
>>702707996

the jews did this

-/pol/
>>
>>702707996
>Go too deep and you might go insane.
I used to laugh at sentences like that, but now I realize there is a seed of truth to them.

It's a never ending path
>>
>>702708365

Are you initiated and knowledgeable?
>>
>>702707372
True, but meeting shapeless fourth dimensional beings tends to just raise more questions, at least the first few times until you learn to communicate with them.
>>
>>702708192

EVERYTHING IS JUST A BUNCH OF REALLY BIG STRINGS
>>
>>702708914
Is that supposed to be the message board equivalent of a secret handshake, or some ghetto mentalist rolling up one tracksuit leg in the deluded belief that it marks him out as a freemason?
>>
>>702705958
How far expired are we talking?
>>
>>702705108
It's less likely that reality changes itself when observed than it is that it merely appears that way because we can only achieve a limited perspective on the entire thing. I take some comfort from that idea.
>>
>>702708943
If time is the fourth dimension, then is a song a shapeless fourth-dimensional being?
>>
>>702706938
Mind blown
>>
>>702709417

Just questioning your ability to question.
>>
>>702709312
ah, the famous Spiderweb-Tampon hypothesis.
>>
>>702709492
Except that it has been proven that an observer does indeed effect the way things react. There are many tests proving this.
>>
File: 311242321341.jpg (4 KB, 201x200) Image search: [Google]
311242321341.jpg
4 KB, 201x200
>>702705958
I'm willing to haggle on that price
>>
>>702705108
Do you think that's air you're breathing?
>>
"Research"
Waxes at middle school level regarding metaphysics.
Gtfo
>>
>>702709492
What about if every possible outcome from the present instant of the universe occurs in the next instant, and from our conscious experience, we can only see one outcome unfolding at a time..
>>
>>702709968
Do you think that you posted that by .. free will?
>>
Reality is probably a simulation
>>
>>702709895
Only insofar as we and our instruments/methods can tell. The possibility of other non-observable dimensions of reality has not been completely discounted - look at M theory.
>>
>>702710265
And yet, you responded to my post.
>>
>>702709869
Try starting with your own. Rejecting established scientific fact out of hand without understanding why it became established, while holding an unshakeable and unfounded belief in some discredited and disproven alternative, again without understanding why it's discredited and disproven, doesn't make you enlightened. The ability to question is useless without the ability to understand the answers.
>>
File: 1443376259371.jpg (11 KB, 295x378) Image search: [Google]
1443376259371.jpg
11 KB, 295x378
>ITT: Every "genius" and wanna-be philosopher/stoner on /b/ get together and share cryptic and meaningless posts
>>
I think you're all immensely retarded and having any kind of discussion about the universe with a bunch of modern monkeys who browse westernified Japanese imageboards like losers wouldn't be any different than having a discussion about dicks. It goes nowhere.
>>
>>702710416
kek
>>
Decepticons
>>
>>702710554
These conversations are pretty
It doesn't go nowhere,
>>
>>702710414

So you're a physicist?
>>
>>702708625
Guns should've taken care of this

/k/
>>
>>702705108
Spotted someone who doesn't understand physics. It's not strictly observation, but the mere act of interacting with something through experimentation - Not you thinking about it, instead a machine detecting it. A photon has momentum and will change the thing it touches. Don't be stupid
>>
>>702705108
Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, and were all going to die. There you go.
>>
No man's sky is a god tier game
>>
>>702711461
Actually, I have listened to physicists say that it actually is very "spooky", that the actual measurement of the particles influence its past.
>>
>>702708708
Ive been the guy who said it and got laughed at. Interesting being on the other side of things isnt it?
>>
>>702711870
It is, indeed.
My whole world has been turned upside down countless times in the past 6 months.
>>
>>702710022
I have always thought this!
>>
>>702710416
This kek
>>
>>702711461
fucking this

We are not gods. In order to observe events on the tiniest scales, we must interfere with those events in some way, like shooting photons at it.

If observation necessitates interference, then of course our observation can affect events, but it's not magic. The same thing would happen if photons were shot at the thing, but humans weren't there to observe it.
>>
>>702705108
Observation is a subjective process. Being "objectively real" requires objective observation, which doesn't exist. Everything you see and feel is part of a biomechanical psychosis, and every concept you know such as societal institutions, theory of mind, you as an identity (your ego), all other entities in the realm of your cognition and your relationships to them, are all fabrications existing purely in your mind, which itself is a shortlived electrical process that was bound to occur at some point, now has been produced as an inevitable fluke of nature, and references a stored memory and interprets the information as it being a sapient human being.

Of course none of this has to do with quantum physics. The whole premise of observation affecting outcome is related to quantum mechanics being so miniscule that photons tamper with its interactions, therefore there's no way to measure any of it without affecting it.

But no you're not real, nothing is "real." Things only become "real" once people start believing they are. You exist to the extent that you and other people around you believe you do and act like it. Gods (all of them) exist to the extent that their adherents believe in them and act out "their will," thereby arguably giving Poseidon a greater impact on Earth than any human will ever have. Both you and Poseidon are of course figments of our imagination but so is the rest of reality.
>>
>>702711715
Yeah? there's all shit like that in the universe. quantum time and spatial entanglement comes to mind. But that's not what we were talking about.
>>
File: 1473043569392.gif (4 MB, 292x173) Image search: [Google]
1473043569392.gif
4 MB, 292x173
>>702710554
Westernified? I think I found the retard guys
>>
>>702711461

What's the probabilistic nature thing and what's a quantum eraser?
>>
>>702712023
That idea is the most popular interpretation of quantum physics, very interesting.

And if you think about it, this solves free will. If we can really choose between every possible next instant, then we have free will. The universe is not one timeline but all of them.
>>
>>702710414
Every time theres always this guy, this fucking guy, and no matter how right he thinks he is, he thinks he has all the answers and hes almost always missing some super important piece of information. I dont even know why the other guy is bothering with you. No one with any semblance of a brain rejects scientific fact you tard. We just add hypotheses to it and test via trial and error most of the time. Personally, i use other methods besides trial and error, but its what ive seen in other people who think along the same lines as "muh multiverse secrets n shit".

Also, sometimes science is wrong, and not because the data is wrong, but because the scientists behind the theory or whatever the fuck had a minor flaw in their logic. People who think science is 100% correct all the time are retarded because they fail to take into consideration human error.

Real talk though OP, this thread is shit, and multiverse theory is highly controversial.
>>
>>702711207
im a fat retard and no one will touch my penis

/r9k/
>>
File: pc master race.jpg (1 MB, 3200x1800) Image search: [Google]
pc master race.jpg
1 MB, 3200x1800
could it be, b is coming back? has the long summer finally coming to an end
?
>>
>>702710990
nothing on this site goes anywhere m8
>>
>>702712520
>Everything you see and feel is part of a biomechanical psychosis
Including timespace itself, btw.
Both can only be measured because we experience them in a set pace. However it's us who flow through time, time itself is stagnant. The timespace continuum is at all times as static mesh with no meaning or activity, we simply move through it at the rate we're accustomed to and sequence snapshots into a linear observation of it from past to future.
>>
>>702709968
what is the matrix? whoa.jpg
>>
Youre all a bunch of fucking idiots and have no idea what youre talking about.
>>
>>702705958
I'll give you 5 bucks.
>>
File: 1465822841194.jpg (185 KB, 1152x2048) Image search: [Google]
1465822841194.jpg
185 KB, 1152x2048
>>702705108

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43pM0CwByhY
>>
>>702705108
>I've been researching quantum physics for the past week
:/
>>
>>702712712
>"muh multiverse secrets n shit".
Yeah that one's just wishy thinking.
The idea of parallel worlds existing is fundamentally impossible because it would break causality. Exact duplicates would have identical results, there's no way to line up an infinite series of universes where every choice' options is exhausted because there really only ever is one option to every choice. The multiverse idea is clamped onto out of wishy thinking (pining for a world where "things were different" as opposed to the way they are in their personal lives) - much like the concept of free will from a bird's eye view, though.
>>
>>702712712
I'm not the guy you replied to btw.
The multiverse theory makes sense if you think about it. Or else are we in one timeline that started from the big bang or whenever? Just one particular timeline?
>>
>>702711994
Yeah, its amazing how much the spiritual fags can be correct about things. Theyre still wrong about a lot, but theyre correct far more often than they should be which already merits a bit of investigation. Chakras were considered fucking voodoo magic by a lot of people not too long ago, and now its being integrated, slowly but surely, into our medical system. Shits nuts.

Also, the spiritual path shit should start to kind of balance out after a year if your experiences are anything like mine.

Hows the new state of awareness treating you? It can be overwhelming for a lot of people.
>>
If there are an INFINITE amount of universes, you will relive the exact same life you are living right now and you have relived that life an INFINITE amount of tines before .

If you learn what string theory is and really think about it , it really fucks with your head.
I'm contemplating sucide just to find out if it's real, but I'll never get the answer and I have already written this post an INFINITE amount of times .

FUCK
>>
>>702713001
This.
>Implying we're evolved enough to completely comprehend theoretical physics and the univers
>>
>>702712781
So true
>>
File: 1454179796295.png (367 KB, 500x362) Image search: [Google]
1454179796295.png
367 KB, 500x362
>>702705108
Don't look for answers to the meaning of reality and life in science. Philosophy is the only way to go on matters belonging to reality. Smile at the void.
>>
>>702705108

There is no multiverse. Read this book. It will explain everything.
>>
>>702713299
Different guy.
I think it's part of a cyclical process of universal expanse and contraction. Eventually this universe will collapse and produce a new big bang.
There's literally no way to have a "different timeline" running along this one that is tacitly identical yet somehow doesn't produce an exact duplicate down to the atom.
>>
>>702713719
ONE BOOK WITH ALL THE ANSWERS !!!!

you sound like one of them religious nut jobs .
>>
>>702705108
Stop overcomplicating it
Its all very simple
We may be non significant in this large overlaying universe that pales on comparison with everything else, but because of this, its best to just live the life you have on this shitty little planet than to try and comprehend the vast reaches of reality
>>
>>702705108
>What is reality?
That's a big question.
It's like asking "what is humanity". There are many, many definitions and explanations.

>I've been researching quantum physics for the past week and I'm absolutely overwhelmed.
The thing with Quantum Physics is that as of yet, no one truly understands it. It's still a field that is being investigated and researched.

>If the reality changes itself when someone is observing it, does it mean we are even real?
Well, when we observe something, we alter it. It's not the observing per se, it's the process used to observe.
Like, if you want to observe something in a dark room, you need to shine light on it, but in doing so you fire photons at it, making it warmer and gain energy.
If you want to observe something with echolocation you have to bounce sound waves off an object, thereby making the object absorb some of those sound waves.
We can't know exactly what these objects are like before we interact with them.

Obviously at a macroscopic level these effects are minimal. The Schrodinger's cat thought experiment was partly to show that Quantum Mechanics don't scale upwards in a logical way.

>What if there are infinite amount of parallel universes?
If there are parallel universes, they will be infinite, since they will be created with each quantum fluctuation, not just from our reality but every other reality since the beginning of time and will be increasing exponentially faster than a human could even perceive.

>What is matter?
Matter is sub-atomic particles consisting of Electrons, Neutrons and Protons.

>What if deja vu is related to those?
Deja vu is the brain misfiling the short term memory into a long term memory slot.
Instead of saying "this just happened" it says "this happened before".
We can't interact with alternate realities, that is if they even exist.

>What is reality?
It's what is around us, that we can observe.
>>
>>702713157
Time isnt linear. It doesnt break causality. You have to combine Schrodingers stupid cat bullshit with einsteins relativity. Once you understand that, it tips the entire concept of time upside down on its head, allowing it to become more flexible instead of forcing it to be the one constant anchor that keeps everything together.
>>
>>702713133

do physicists even agree on quantum stuff
>>
>>702713157
from my understanding, physicists say that particles could be in any of its possible states when measured and it is impossible to know which one it will be on before we measure it. There being multiple outcomes in the future seems to resolve the question of why there is a particular state to the particle when it is measured.
>>
>>702713619
Infinite universes =/= infinite time

The three dimensions of space are not the same as our single dimension of time.
>>
>>702714289
There's more than 3 dimensions
>>
>>702713719
>Robert and lee trump einstein and everyone built off of einstein

Id read it if i had it, but i highly doubt its going to change very much.
>>
>>702713308
Yeah, I used to laught at those people who believed in that kind of things. I am really overwhelmed, I must be honest.

This might sound funny, but the idea that, for example, psychedelic drugs really let you observe other realities or our reality from a complete different stance, is starting to sound more and more believable. I'm really looking forward to trying out DMT.

So many questions, but not enough answers.

Many people who have tried DMT have said that they feel like their body vibrated insanely fast, and we also know that every molecule, particle, everything in this university vibrates on a certain speed. It feels like at the bottom of the glass science and "mysticism" are impossible to distinguish from each other.
>>
>>702705108
>reality changes based on observation

That phenomenon only happens on the quantum level - not the macro level. And even then it's a source of contention as to what is actually happening.

Go to /sci/ with this bullshit and get laughed at.
>>
>>702714131
>Time isnt linear.
I'm pretty sure time is linear, you can't reverse it or travel backwards, it always moves forwards even if things like gravity and velocity can slow it.
>>
>>702712607
Not sure how that response is relevant. Photons are described by wavefunctions. Measuring their properties 'collapses' the wavefunction, after measurement it goes back to its probabilistic nature again. I'm not about to describe the quantum eraser thing here. Go wikipedia it
>>
>>702713308
>Chakras were considered fucking voodoo magic by a lot of people not too long ago, and now its being integrated, slowly but surely, into our medical system. Shits nuts.
What bullshit pamphlet did you read that from?
>>
>>702714126
Do we have a source on the deja vu stuff? The studies anyway? I dont trust articles in my field much any more since theyre always at least slightly wrong. Id like to see the raw data because ive been wanting to do research in that area for a while. Besides, i need a break from cognitive restructuring.
>>
>>702713774
Different guy.
Mathmatically seen you would still have to prove that something expander the universe in the beginning. If n gives you n+1 you still have to set a starting point.
>>
>>702713774
I think that identical states would be the exact same state.
>>
>>702714131
I don't think you understand either.
Schrodinger's cat references ambiguity about outcome due to quantum differences (i.e. factors too small to measure, or at least without tampering with them)
Causality mandates that only one outcome is ultimately possible though, whether you know it or not. Premeditating those outcomes is why we're refining quantum mechanics. And time very much is linear, functionally if you get into the guts of quantum physics, and logically as you'd be creating causal loops at best or paradoxes at worst.

>>702714288
The "multiple outcomes" rather refers to multiple possibilities with limited data, but still only one outcome.
>>
>>702714478
Yes and time is the fourth dimension. Those are two different levels of infinite were talking about. Sort of like the difference between countable and uncountable infinite.

>>702714738
Time is just perceived to be linear bruv. Have you ever been in a super fearful state and time slowed down? Did you notice that when things are fun, they go fast, and when theyre boring, they go slow? Time is another dimension, but its not exactly linear.
>>
BOOOOOYYYYY you researched quatum physics before evolution this fag doesnt get that all of this is based on human perception and that since humans cant even accuratly percive ghost planets in neighbor solar systems we cant even talk about infinity AND MATTER IS MADE OF ATOMS ASS BREATH
>>
>>702710022
Look everyone, /b/'s not dead (yet)!
>>
>>702714926
Which part? The voodoo shit or the medical shit?
>>
>>702713308

Viscero cutaneous reflex points are weird until you consider the electromagnetic nature of the human body. Chakras are probably the same thing. The body has some weird resonance cavities, too.
>>
>>702705583
I'm a trigon
>>
what if our entire universe is just one Atom amongst billions of others that is making up the insides of John Mayer
>>
>>702715418
Time might go fast or slow but it WILL go in ONLY ONE direction. That makes it linear.
>>
>>702709566
>>702708943
>>702707372
>>702707224
>>702706130
>>702705719
being this retarded
>>
>>702705108
>What if there are infinite amount of parallel universes?
can't be proven nor disproven, thus irrelevant to us as we can't observe it.
>What is matter?
Condensed energy/information
>What if deja vu is related to those?
Deja vu is a neurological effect. It has nothing to do with quantumphysics.
>What is reality?
That what you as an observer perceive
>>
>>702715418
>Time is just perceived to be linear bruv. Have you ever been in a super fearful state and time slowed down? Did you notice that when things are fun, they go fast, and when theyre boring, they go slow? Time is another dimension, but its not exactly linear.
Linear means "one way" or "straight". If it it's slowed down, either perceptually or relativistically, it's still only going in one direction. It can't loop back or reverse.

>>702715611
Where did you read that Chakras were being integrated into modern medicine.
>>
>>702707996
>even now the evil seed of what you've done germinates within you
What does this image mean? Where is it from?
>>
>>702715263

How many established paradoxes are there?
>>
>>702715263

If it's true that time is linear, then we run into some more problems. Like why is there this specific history/set of outcomes?
A theory of a multiverse seems more logical than thinking there only exists one set history.
>>
>>702715716

does time move or do we
>>
>>702705108
>If the reality changes itself when someone is observing it

That is a common, popular and extremely foolish interpretation of Mr. Heisenberg's principle. A Mr. Schrödinger devised a thought-experiment to illustrate how foolish, and was surprised when so many people took it seriously.
>>
File: tumblr_m2ywyyS2XL1ro9t4r.jpg (19 KB, 500x330) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m2ywyyS2XL1ro9t4r.jpg
19 KB, 500x330
>>702705447
>>
>>702716848

so many people take that interpretation and spread it around just like delicious trump steaks
>>
Ive seen the other side and its amazing. Knowing that your entire existence might as well be a figment of your imagination opens up so many possibilities. You dont die, you are just reborn in an alternate universe with no knowledge of past existence. How do I know this, you ask? Because Ive been there.
>>
>>702716713
How is it logical to expect different outcomes to the same equation?
>>
>>702711461
this does explain a lot of it but not all of it, look up the double slit experiment
>>
>>702709566
Not the song per se, but each bar of the song is and together they form a chorus.
>>
>>702705583
I'm a porigon
>>
>>702717125

do tell.
>>
File: 55688 - Hunter_x_Hunter gon.jpg (34 KB, 500x374) Image search: [Google]
55688 - Hunter_x_Hunter gon.jpg
34 KB, 500x374
>>702705583
I'm a gaygon
>>
what if what we think is the universe and planets and other space mambo jumbo inside of it are just a 3D projection produced by a superior entity, who are just browsing a Facebook clickbait. and our place inside of it is an ad in between a slideshow of celebrity gossip, for customizable socks.
>>
>>702717457
You guys are conflating everything. Go look it up yourself before you tell me to. Measuring which slit the particle moves through disturbs the final interference pattern, yes. But the worse the detection method, the more destroyed the pattern. I don't see the issue. Offhandedly telling someone to look up an experiment with millions of variations just shows your own lack of knowledge.
>>
>>702705958

Look, you've got a decent collectible here but I'm not even sure what this is REALLY worth these days...

Do you mind if I call my buddy to come down and take a look at it?

Trust me. This guy knows everything there is to know about used tampons.
>>
>>702705108

God damn you are a fucking retard.
>>
>>702705108
In essence whatever you're thinking reality is, it's not and it'll never be. Even the most intricate model of the universe will be exactly that, a model.
>>
>>702717231
It's more that it is a bit more illogical and surprising to think that the universe has a single outcome from "start" to "finish". Why have all of these very particular moments in history occurred?

And to make it more specific as to why i'm surprised, us humans seem to be part of a progression that has been and will continue to increase in complexity.
>>
>>702718943
Because they have to.
Why MUST there be some divine, conscious arbiter steering all this? Apples don't fall from trees because they choose whether or not they should. They just do, because gravity. Every choice you make and the entirety of your mind is a cocktail of experiences and cultural impressions, and modeling it fully, I could predict every choice you will ever make with your "free will."
>>
File: 999999999.jpg (40 KB, 268x265) Image search: [Google]
999999999.jpg
40 KB, 268x265
>>702713619
If you commit suicide, you'll lose all of your current memory, including your current curiosities, and you may be reborn as something other than human [ex: animal, insect, plant, etc., and your entire perception and thought process would become completely different and irrelevant from your current one]. Be careful what you wish for.
>>
what if our universe is actually the components of a runoff of puss from a botched nose job from a famous alien doctor on a reality show and we are just waiting for the production crew to get a mop
>>
>>702705108
stopped there
as a physics student at Manchester school of physics and astronomy i am triggered
>>
>>702719530
Faggot if it is infinite there is a 100% chance you me and everyone els will live the exact same life again at the same time, infinite !
>>
>>702719799
Hey, if someone is legitimately looking for answers, no need to be a dick. It's when they start think pseudo-science and mysticism explain the things we don't know that you get to be a dick.
>>
>>702719799
in one lecture on astronomy we looked at the fermi solutions and basically the chances of there not being life similar to us is as infinitesimally small as you can fathom.
i can explain if you need me to, in fact ask me as much as you want and i will try to explain.
>>
>>702716580
Most paradoxes arise from our own faulty logic and understanding, as well as the limitations of language. E.g. the whole thing about going back and killing your grandpa isn't really a paradox, because it's impossible (and always will we) to go back in time.
>>
what if every time we take a bite of a hot dog the universe loses seventeen percent of its brown rocks. so after every Nathan's hot dog eating contest our future spawns become more and more likely to develop brown rocks as a rare currency because the gray ones are exceptionally more common.
>>
>>702705108
Its not observation in a literal visual way, its observation in the sense of when a quantum particle is measured.
>>
>>702719414
What you are saying is that at the most fundamental level we can predict every future outcome.

Read some of this wiki article >https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laplace%27s_demon

I lean more towards thinking that Chaos Theory is correct.
>>
>>702720208
youre right /b/ro
its just quantum mechanics is so broad..
>>
>>702720407
>Chaos Theory
Give me a brief description of this please.
>>
>>702719799
okay tell me something youve learnt that makes your degree worth while, it must be related to quantum stuff
>>
>>702710085
:0
>>
>>702719799
I graduated from there, what year are you in anon?
>>
>>702720667
On the article it says that
>it describes how a deterministic system can nonetheless exhibit behavior that is impossible to predict
>>
>>702720407
that article is so badly written and some of it is just down right wrong
>>
File: Capture+_2016-09-05-21-06-53.png (2 MB, 1330x1695) Image search: [Google]
Capture+_2016-09-05-21-06-53.png
2 MB, 1330x1695
>>702705583
>>
>>702720736
Not manchester guy here, but phisics is pretty much the most valuable and worthwhile degree out there
>>
>>702705583
DID YOU JUST ASSUME MY GON??????
>>
>>702720908
graduating 2017
might do a 5th and 6th year PHD i dont know what on i just enjoy it and dont want to leave to be honest
>>
what if the universe is actually edible. but it's the equivalent of black licorice so we are just enevitably waiting for the evolution of a multi cosmic irony hipster to choose us from a bag of its inherited jelly beans
>>
>>702721128
kek, guessing you're doing the 4 year MPhys? I graduated this year. You'd probably recognise me
>>
>>702705108

Forget all of that OP.

Read 'The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind" by Julian Jaynes.

This book will shed some light on the "reality" of understanding, so you can realize that at the very base of how we understand things it's all inherently
>>
>>702721018
It appears English is not.
>>
>>702713157
Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me. We long for a caring Universe which will save us from our childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary we will pin all our hopes on the slimmest of doubts. God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist.

-- Academician Prokhor Zakharov ,"For I Have Tasted the Fruit"
>>
>>702708708
Just try not to look for a reason to why things are, i.e. figure out how gravity works, don't look for why gravity exists because then
>It's turtles all the way down
>>
>>702721374
"the result of the sound waves of a river horse ejaculating is the closest thing to understanding the universe, that we as a species will ever get to know"

-Stephen Hawking
>>
>>702713308
Disease is repressed negative emotions having adverse affects on our body.
>>
>>702705108
What fucks the mind is the very idea of observation can change outcomes! You watch that double slit experiment and note what you find, but if you don't look and it changes its behaviour and outcome but you cannot know for sure without looking

Love this stuff

When my wife says "grab the whatever in the cupboard" I say "I've looked it's not there" she says "look it's right here" bullshit .. That ketchup was in super position and I'll prove it soon
>>
>>702713619
Nietzsche predicted this in the Ewigen Wiederkunft des Gleichen
>>
>>702721753
hahaha
>>
>>702720911
And right after that the author fucks up and says that variations in the beginning values are necessary for different outcomes to occur, which coincidentally does lean closer to the principle of chaos theory but not to the author's knowledge, who from what I can tell only knows "chaos" is in the name and felt it would be appropriate.
>>
>>702721365
Kek, my phone has a really shit keyboard. Also, your response doesn't make much sense, but nice try.
>>
>>702713092
It all makes sense now, thanks m8
>>
>>702714126
The bad boy of physics (thats his nickname google him) said we arent meant to understand all that bull shit and i believe him
>>
>>702720736
hmm an easy one to understand is pair production and i think i can convey it very simply.
basically a virtual photon (exists for a short time hence the virtual) turns into a particle and an antiparticle. This is literally things popping up into being from nothing. The energy needed for this process is literally borrowed from the future and then shortly after the particles are made they collide and annihilate into energyto pay back a "debt.

if this happens at the edge of a black hole and one falls into the black hole the other can no longer annihilate and then it becomes a real proton or electron. the debt cant be "paid" back so then the black hole loses energy. this is in the most simple way how a black hole evaporates. Its referred to as hawking radiation, pretty much the easiest to explain.
>>
>>702721312
anon im intrigued, tell me your name or who your professor was? also MPhys 4 year with astronomy
>>
>>702721966
>the "it"belonging to the subject of "pretty much the most valuable degree" because that was the last subject of the sentence mentioned.

I still am correct if you were unable to piece that shit together.
>>
>>702722431
Are you Ed Bird?
>>
>>702715418
What you're describing is perception of time,not time.
>>
>>702705108
not to be rude, but you lack the understanding of why any of this matters if you dont do the math for it

literally every major quantum physicist says this but you just ignore it because you want to seem clever with your fucking crystals without all the years and years and years it takes to actually understand

/sciencefagrant

(and no you fuckwhit, the process of observation produces "particles" that move things. the universe isnt self aware, its just taht everything is a thing
>>
>>702722741
Nope? i had my last lecture last semester with Sarah B
>>
>>702705108
Here's another good question OP,
>Why are we progressing in technology at an ever increasing rate?

If you look at the timescales of the universe, you can see how there is progression in complexity, and this progression is speeding up.

Ray Kurzweil has it all plotted on graphs.

http://www.singularity.com/charts/page17.html
>>
Doesn't the quantum eraser show that the photon doesn't do shit to affect the change?
>>
Bump
>>
>>702715941
Being a faggot
>>
>>702723171
anon, join the PhysSoc group on facebook, and like the Alan Good post ?
>>
Further bizarre is how math is intertwined in nature yet we tend to think we invented it as a form to measure quantify etc

Ever see daisies lined up in ascending petal count? Counts out Fibonacci

Or string theory where there is 5 formulas for observing the same thing

Did we discover or invent this? Or both .. Not quantum related but neat none the less
>>
>>702705108

the change with observation isn't strange, unusual, or magical you tards.

the act of observing something affects it, that's your change.

observation effect, uncertainty principle.. you guys always confuse, or combine the two.

there is no magic. check tire pressure, pressure changes because you let a little air out when checking it.

same thing.
>>
>>702723736
Observing the fibonacci in nature is so soothing i love it
>>
I believe in parallel realities. I think we see them all the time. Deja Vu is a part of it. So are dreams
>>
>>702723733
i dont use betabook kik or snap?
>>
>>702714738
theory of relativity allows for time travel. consumes exorbitant amounts of energy so as to make it not very realistic
>>
>>702721495
Prometheus Rising?
>>
>>702723736
I think we invented math and it belongs to our brains. There is no math outside of the human mind.

Although I understand what you mean that there is order in the universe, a structure that can be roughly(good enough) calculated.
>>
I watched interstellar bro i am woke
>>
>>702724144
Checkd and contemplated
>>
>>702711461
not really.
>>
>>702710178

Dude this is a simulation, you haven't figured that out yet?
Pleb.

Why do you think there is only a finite amount of atoms in the universe?
Rigs can only be built with so much, RAM, HD space, cpu and gpu power. You are bound to hit an upper limit.

Try writing a program in Java for finding prime numbers. The execution stops with the highest prime calculated at 2^32 -1 because it runs out of stack space.
>>
>>702723922
The belief that we alter it when we observe it is because the state of the particles could be in one of many states, but it turns out it's only one of them when observed. Why not another state?

The idea, i think, is that our observation forces it to assume a particular state.
>>
guys as a maths student the one thing that made me regret studying maths is the fact that there are certain things we literally made up. the foundation of maths is really weak. If these things we made up are true then yes maths is amazing but one day we might find out it could all be wrong and have to restart.
>>
>>702724004
Drink the koolaid, son. betabook is pretty essential for that UoM.
>kik twohobos99
>>
>>702724144

so x amount of photons hitting the earth don't have y resultant heat? or x amount of hydrogen atoms fusing don't produce x amount of thermal radiation?

it's like you're saying rocks didn't exist before us because there wasn't a name for them yet.
>>
>>702724570
Hmm.. well, as long as it allows us to further our science and technology, it's useful..
>>
>>702714126
many things here are wrong.
- a physicist
>>
>>702724544
>uses 32 bit integers
>calls others pleb
Bitch go back to your Commodore 64
>>
>>702724570
I was taking simple algebra and the fact that we use imaginary numbers literally pissed me the fuck off
>>
>>702705108
Bruh...
The real question is this.
What is consciousness?
Why can we even think of the concept of reality and the workings of the cosmos without it. Think about it.
>>
>>702723937
I know right, f you can get some good acid, chill with some good visual docs on fibionacci in nature and the phi formula

I was a terrible student it become engrossed with this over the years

Many say that we are simply not in time with the frequencies in which nature communicate

Trees starving themselves by allocating resources to dying trees nearby to survive .. What he actual heck!

Ayuasca and DMT Being used by uneducated tribal villagers for thousands of years and science not knowing how they found it

Everything is connected in ways we simply cannot interpret and the quantum level lends some potential understanding Into all of this
>>
>>702705108
The whole of creation is mental energy. Thoughts of the observer change creation.
You should read the Kybalion, its a short book and will give you hints.
>>
youtube.com/innerstanding
secretenergy.com

all the answers to your questions and more
>>
>>702724039
Not going backwards or reversing it doesn't.

You can move forward in time faster than someone else, or slower than someone else, but no matter how much energy you throw at it you can't go backwards.
>>
>>702723736
Consider that the first step towards math was a completely illogical abstraction, namely that these two different things were the same and therefore countable.
>>
>>702724851 the universe is probably a hologram - leonard suskind
>>
>>702724904
I cant :/ all i find is nBome. The hermetic explanation for that is As Above, So Below. Look into it anon
>>
>>702723136
mathematics is just a tool based on axioms.
you can do physics with out mathematics.
>the process of observation produces "particles" that move things
what do you even mean with that?
>the universe isnt self aware
if we are part of the Universe and aware of it at least a bit of the Universe is aware of itself.
>everything is a thing
and nothing? is also a thing.
>>
>>702724107
No, I just happen to know about the meaning of that quote and I'm pretty sure that looking for a "reason" for the existence of anything gets you nowhere

Things just are, there's a how, a what, a when... just don't go looking for a "why" or a "what for" because the most reasonable thing you're going to get is "just because"
>>
>>702725073
0r it's god,I believe what he said.
>>
>>702724814
imaginary numbers help makes things more simple though
>>
>>702724736
I'm just a layman talking to people even less knowledgeable than me.

I make no allusions to being right all the time.

But I'd like to know where you believe I erred and give the correct explanation.

Baring in mind that I don't really think there is a multiverse.
>>
I regained faith today in /b/
>>
>>702724810

Missing the point.

This is a simulation no matter how you cut it. atoms don't lie.
>>
>>702724570
How can it be wrong? 1+1 = 2. That's the fundamental beginnings of all mathematics, simple adding and subtracting. It's the only absolute 'language' in our universe that is 100% correct.
>>
>>702724727
Yes, I understand that, or for example a countable amount of apples on an apple tree. But if there are 50 apples on the tree, there is no fiftyness that they all share together. Thinking that there are 50 apples on the tree stems from our own observation of what there is. The classification of what an apple is is also human. We correctly "count" the amount of apples but this information only exists in our minds. The fact that there are no more or less apples in reality than 50 of them doesn't take away from the fact that the information being processed is being done so in a brain for whatever reason that brain thinks it needs the information.
>>
>>702725056
True, many say as we discovered patterns and numerical consistencies etc that we would then keep applying them future experiments and run with "our little number system" however nature has adopted so many of these patterns it's become had to differentiate which is which .. Fractals do my head in a bit
>>
>>702705108
The sky is very blue today.
>>
Do you fags even holofractal?
>>
>>702718196

can i be a plaid sock
>>
>>702725299
So how did you gather from these two words that I was referring to the quote?
>>
>>702725284
>and nothing? is also a thing.
Then why is the definition of nothing is literally a void of all matter and energy. The concept is rather bold, but nothing 'can' still exist, and it's not a thing in the way you describe an object or something of the like.
>>
>>702725893
F u c q
>>
>>702720301

didn't the quantum eraser thing make it possible to kind of go back in time
>>
Great thread here, some excellent input from all
>>
>>702725988
Nothing is a thing in so far as it's a concept we can define in our minds, however the word nothing refers to lack of, not a state or object of nothingness.
>>
224 replies and no talk of tesla
>>
> one-hundred thousand quadrillion vigintillion atoms

that's how many atoms there are in the OBSERVABLE universe.

You're fucking morons if you think this is being simulated.. for 10's of thousands of years.

jesus on a fucking dildo. whatever makes you feel warm and fuzzy.
>>
on the real.

https://youtu.be/2KK_kzrJPS8?list=PLui3aFOoKJOXDx4UPATPibdS8-mjdZ1BJ
>>
>>702725495
why not a multiverse?
Its a great interpretation of qm.

let me check...
>Well, when we observe something, we alter it. It's not the observing per se
it is. actually all observations are interpretations of the information that reaches us (via photons for example)
in qm the observer is part of the system. no observer, no qm. that's why you cannot write the wave function of the Universe because who will observe it? (unless you allow the observed observer, but then the theory will carry hidden variables)

>If there are parallel universes, they will be infinite
they are finite.
gather all the particles in the Universe and mix them into all the possible combinations and Energy levels (states).
The number will be very very very big, but nothing compared to infinity.

>Matter is sub-atomic particles consisting of Electrons, Neutrons and Protons.
photons are matter as well (non massive matter) and other bosons like the W boson, the Z, the gluon, higgs, etc.

>It's what is around us, that we can observe.
don't agree with that either.
>>
>>702726181
Some say during reagans Star Wars project in the 80's that they managed to send some particles back in time by a few seconds or more likely nanoseconds

Much of this talk is closely linked to secret propulsion systems that only tin foil hat lovers discuss
>>
>>702726432
It's not a crazy idea that the universe we live in is being simulated with very good futuristic computer trickery.
>>
>>702726196
yep, i love these threads and it's good to see less nihilism.
>>
>>702726181
Some say during reagans Star Wars project in the 80's that they managed to send some particles back in time by a few seconds or more likely nanoseconds

Much of this talk is closely linked to secret propulsion systems that only tin foil hat lovers discuss

>>702726795
We're a bunch of over evolved monkeys who 100 yrs ago were in horse and buggy..no we have VR porn, imagine another 1000 year head start
>>
>>702726432
You're just assuming the simulation is outside the bounds of potential advancement, in a situation where the source environment of the simulation could be constructed using laws of physics completely alien to those within the sim.

Not to mention the sim could have started 10 seconds ago putting our universe in its current state
>>
>>702725988
imagine two bottles, same shape and mass.
you cannot distinguish one from the other if one is completely empty and the other one completely filled with particles.
take one particle out of bottle A and put it into bottle B, same thing. They are indistinguible.
The vacuum has the same properties as particles.
And literally a Big Bang (Everything) can pop out of nothing.
>>
>>702727088
Considering technology is progressing exponentially, I am incapable of imagining what the world might look like more than 100 years from now. And I would be kidding myself if I believed I could accurately predict 100 years in the future, but I like to think my wildest futuristic ideas might come close.
>>
Pilot wave is how it double slits
https://youtu.be/1-_IRbu1gAo?list=PLui3aFOoKJOXDx4UPATPibdS8-mjdZ1BJ
>>
>>702723136

can you explain the quantum eraser thing and it's implications
>>
>>702725002

here you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X02WMNoHSm8
>>
>>702727439
If a Big Bang can pop out of nothing, then what you are saying is that the universe is inevitable.
>>
>>702727485
That's a singularity right there, like explaining SMS to a cave man when that fool doesn't even know what electricity is

We are approaching that era sooner than we thought

Even moores law is becoming both inaccurate and wrong due to our progress
>>
>>702727887
a universe will be
>>
>>702713774
>Eventually this universe will collapse and produce a new big bang.
Not likely. We know that the universe is likely to expand infinitely due to dark energy creating more and more space, but there is only a finite amount of matter, and therefore gravity. For contraction you'll need gravity to overpower dark energy.
>>
>>702727887
look at the timeline of the far future in wikipedia.
lovely explanation
>>
>>702714657
Thanks for clearing this up, I've never read about quantum physics so this has always confused meme.
>>
>>702726679
>(number of particles in the whole, not just observable universe)^t, where t is infinite unless you buy into some big crunch or some other end of the universe theory
>not infinite
>>
>>702727887
and let me know when you reach the Boltzmann brain bit
>>
>>702715704
Underrated post
>>
>>702728465
why t is infinite again?
>>
>>702728740
Why would things just cease to exist?
>>
Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams
>>
File: 1460512861600.jpg (206 KB, 816x816) Image search: [Google]
1460512861600.jpg
206 KB, 816x816
>>702705108
When you finally figure out the truth you'll either Zero-sum or achieve Chim.

Also shitposts aside there is constantly more and more evidence to support multiverse theory.
>>
op is nerd
>>
>>702725361

or it's both
>>
>>702728639
That concept scares me a bit. Do physicists believe that these quantum fluctuations could be happening more than once at a time? For example, could another occur randomly?
>>
>>702728899
that has nothing to do with my question.
look, if you calculate all possible energy combinations of all the particles in the universe (which are not infinite) you get a finite number
because energy cannot be infinite either.
By doing that you get all the possible states in which the universe can be
>>
>>702729363
Hey, it could very well be infinite, we can only see the observable universe and we have no evidence to believe that it ends.
>>
>>702712789
Nope, summer right here, faggots. A good ole fashion TWIG AND BERRIES

(We WUZ fried chicken n SHEEIT)
>>
File: The_World.png (4 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
The_World.png
4 MB, 1920x1080
ZA WARUDO! TOKE WO THREADO!
>>
>>702712789
>>702729506
There should be more questions like this on /b/. And I welcome the summerfags to listen in, I'm sure they learn much more from /b/ and the internet than at their own schools.
>>
You think thats some shit, a group of scientists is now testing the theory that the speed of light has not been constant throughout history. Meaning at the time of the big bang lights traveled so far so fast that one horizon encompasses all of the known universe. and light now travels slower than it did.

let that sink in
>>
>>702705108
I think God and Heaven exist, and we're going to create it at some point in the future.

We'll build something like a virtual reality and capture the human consciousness at the point of death and upload them. Human memory is just chemical chains, capture those chains at a point in time.

More believable than jebus, mohamid, and whatever the fuck the jews believe in.
>>
>>702730006
The standard model relies on this fact. only way it could expand that big and fast.
>>
>>702729363
>>702729363
As I understand, the main thing to the multiverse theory is that at every interval it splits into all the possible energy states, creating an inmeasurable amount of alterverses which then differentiate into all possible energy states of then then differently distributed energy states and so forth. Since the beginning of time and for all eternity.
>>
>>702730543
Of their own
>>
>>702706247
Hey thanks for clearing that up.
>>
>>702729344
of course.
but their probability is too damn low even for one happening at a given time.
physics has a limit. the plank scale, below that there are no laws (of physics) no rules. that's why a string in string theory will never be observable, because it has the length of a plank's length.

>>702729504
if the big bang was true, then it is not infinite (even if we cannot see the initial radiation that is still expanding)
A type of Dark energy (if it exists) could make the Universe infinite (if allowed continuous energy levels) so it can 'go on forever'

>>702730543
yeah, but that amount is measurable because the total energy (excluding dark energy) should be finite and discrete.
>>
>>702726679
Mostly fair.

>why not a multiverse?
>Its a great interpretation of qm.
I'm not saying it's not possible, I'm just saying that it doesn't seem like something that can be happening. But then, that's just more of a gut feeling of the way things work. But, as I said, nothing real logic behind it, I certainly accept it as a possible explanation.

>Well, when we observe something, we alter it. It's not the observing per se
>it is. actually all observations are interpretations of the information that reaches us (via photons for example)
in qm the observer is part of the system. no observer, no qm. that's why you cannot write the wave function of the Universe because who will observe it? (unless you allow the observed observer, but then the theory will carry hidden variables)
Are you sure? The double slit experiment only behaves weirdly when you are observing individual particles, simply looking at the experiment with our eyes doesn't change anything.

>they are finite.
>gather all the particles in the Universe and mix them into all the possible combinations and Energy levels (states).
The number will be very very very big, but nothing compared to infinity.
True, but that doesn't account for the possibility of duplicates, and the fact that new ones will always be being created. At any one moment there will be finite universes, but in the next moment that number will have massively increased outwards from each of those realities.
Since this process might never stop (depending on how the universe eventually ends) the amount of realities are potentially infinite because they never stop producing more.
Again, you are right that in any one instant they are not infinite, though.

>photons are matter as well (non massive matter) and other bosons like the W boson, the Z, the gluon, higgs, etc.
They don't actually make up matter on their own, do they? I thought they were like ingredients in the cake that is a sub-atomic particle.
>>
>>702713619
I had a hallucination really high on weed once that this was literally the truth and I'm one out of a line of many philosophers who were doomed to realize this, that all of reality is just repeating itself exactly the same way, and that I am the only mind

It's just bullshit right, why does it instantly give me extreme anxiety every time I come in threads like this as if I'm being reminded of it and that the point of life is to forget it?
>>
>>702730879
Is there a reason why it's certain that it couldn't be infinite?
>>
>>702730879
But the amount of multiverses isn't, even if some of them energetically overlap
>>
>>702731497
Or rather inevitably all of them infinite times...
>>
>>702706938

The first shortcut I'd use would be to tell people that there would be multiplayer, but not bother to have the program render other players.
>>
>>702705108
Another idea that I love is the concept of Emergence. The future of humanity/the universe is guaranteed to be unpredictable because of this concept.
>>
>>702721849
What, if some day or night a demon were to steal after you into your loneliest loneliness and say to you: 'This life as you now live it and have lived it, you will have to live once more and innumerable times more' ... Would you not throw yourself down and gnash your teeth and curse the demon who spoke thus? Or have you once experienced a tremendous moment when you would have answered him: 'You are a god and never have I heard anything more divine.' [The Gay Science, §341]

Holy shit this is terrifying.
>>
pro discussion

https://youtu.be/GdqC2bVLesQ?t=18m11s
>>
>>702732499
Now that's a standard to love by.
>>
>>702732499
Entropy and the is my savior, the refutation of eternal recurrence. The second law of thermodynamics is the solution to all suffering - there is no eternal recurrence, so don't worry, this will end and we can safely pretend as if we have free will.
>>
>>702732985
Live by...though I guess love works too
>>
>>702733015
Humanity in the future may find a way to simulate their own universes outside of the time frame of the current observable universe.
>>
>>702715941
Don't be a square, man
>>
>>702733558
Fucking HELL man don't kill my vibe. Let's not dig too deep into these topics. Let's remain ignorant of these possibilities please since they bring nothing but philosophical despair on par with nothing else.
>>
>>702733558
I'm starting to think the ancients were on to something describing afterlifes and hell

After taking psychedelics I can imagine states of reality so horrifying, so nightmarish, that literally it is worth potentially wasting my one chance at life just for a slim possibility of avoiding that.

Holy shit I'm paralyzed by fear
>>
>>702733814
A consciousness in a multiverse will inevitably fall only within whatever branch it is alive, and I would assume that it would take a low resistance path towards immortality. A singularity in your lifetime is this low resistance path that ended up preserving this continuous process of mind.
>>
>>702731203
>simply looking at the experiment with our eyes doesn't change anything
but then you are not observing the particle just the interaction but after hitting a screen or interacting with something else.

>True, but that doesn't account for the possibility of duplicates
it does. matter anti-matter are created in pairs.
and you can still calculate every gluon splitting into pairs of quark antiquark plus every radioactive decay that didn't happen or happened and get a new universe from it.
you can still count them all considering an interval of time smaller or equivalent to a plank's time (with over all finite energy)
So I still think it will be finite.

They don't actually make up matter on their own, do they?
well if you want its a 'matter of definition'
how about if we find out that photons do have mass? then they will be considered matter? its better to think that there is massive matter and non-massive matter i think.

>>702731416
is not certain of course.
Dark energy (and dark matter) could change it all. Also we cannot observe the edge of the Universe, we don't know if there is 'free space' beyond it.

>>702731497
the amount of Multiverses will be finite if there is no continuous dark energy.
Think about it like this:
our universe right now is different from the one that looks exactly like ours except for a Uranium atom that decayed at certain time interval dt.
Now if that same atom decays '2dt' time intervals ago you will have another universe. and you can make many more but not infinite because the atom will decay at some point and the dt is the minimum interval of time allowed, i.e. a plank's length.
do that allowing all possible combinations of all the particles of the Universe at all 'dt's.
that is a real integer that is not even close to infinity.
Now if there is continuum dark energy the 'dt' could be as small as you like, or if you prefer, infinitely small. So the sum of all possible multiverses for that single Uranium atom will be infinite.
>>
>>702729851
>MUH UNIVERSE
>MUH SCIENCE

I'm not here to learn shank. I'd rather get a whiff of your grandmas pee if you know what I mean.
>>
Lol
>>
>>702733814
Mate you've got to embrace this discussion and use it to view reality and the very insanity of what we perceive consciousness to be. Ignorance is bliss, congnitove dissidence is unsettling but much more enjoyable
>>
>>702730879
>if the big bang was true, then it is not infinite (even if we cannot see the initial radiation that is still expanding)
>A type of Dark energy (if it exists) could make the Universe infinite (if allowed continuous energy levels) so it can 'go on forever'

If the universe is infinite (and therefore has no beginning), is it possible that the big bang was just inflation and that the universe was infinitely small before that point?
>>
>>702734599
I wish I never read about solipsism or eternal recurrence I feel like I'm literally going insane due to the mere fact that my mind has contemplated these before, and I can never forget

When I lay on my deathbed, these thoughts will run through my mind and I will never be at peace now. What do I do, holy shit
>>
>>702734748
I'm sure everyone else is as real as you.
>>
>>702734494
sorry if some explanations are fuzzy, i'm tired.
i'm going to bed.
i hope some of my explanations helped someone.
i can tell some of you have a good future in physics.
bye guys
>>
>>702734748
Give in to the Lord.we all know we will be praying to god on our deathbeds
>>
>>702735037
thanks for contributing to the discussion. have a good one.
>>
>>702735011
I keep feeling paranoid that comments like these are just made by the universe, not a real person, and they're meant to make me think other people are real when they're really not

Am I turning schizophrenic, please don't say yes.
>>
>>702735037
Thanks dude.
>>
>>702705108
be real, make fun, be prioritized, and make sense
>>
>>702705108
just be happy with your reality, faggot
>>
File: 2deep2laugh.png (268 KB, 400x387) Image search: [Google]
2deep2laugh.png
268 KB, 400x387
>>
>Researching quantum physics

You think that's mind blowing, its not even that odd
>>
>>702726432
The computer simulating us could be from a world that is much simpler and could easily process such a large world effortlessly.
>>
>>702735171
You're not turning schizophrenic. Also, yes, sadly this is the universe trying to convince you otherwise but apparently it's not doing such a good job. If you're worried that you're alone, know that you are beyond together and beyond alone.
>>
>>702714657
Lingering side effects of the fact that we are literally made of congealed energy?
>>
>>702735674
Are you the guy I was talking to? I'm beyond together and beyond alone? What does that mean?
>>
wait

someone do a science
>>
>>702735846
who cares who it was that replied to you?
>>
>>
>>702735940
I didn't mean it like that. I just wanted to know whether I was having a conversation with one individual, not a disembodied stream of replies from many
>>
File: hs-2016-13-a-1680x1050_wallpaper.jpg (716 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
hs-2016-13-a-1680x1050_wallpaper.jpg
716 KB, 1680x1050
>>
>>702736074
It's been me yeah.
>>
>>702734748
That's the trade off it seems, I ride a sports bike and have almost had to pull over when thinking too deep, literally get dizzy. Not even sure what that is TBH however I'm healthy and it all started once I began to grasp the gravity of these thoughts a few years ago

It's weird shit man..
Thread replies: 312
Thread images: 21

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site. This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.