Navigation: /b/ - Random [Archive] | Search | [Home]
RandomArchive logo

Economics or Statistics? What's the better major

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3
File: 1467481419452.png (1 MB, 974x512) Image search: [Google]
1467481419452.png
1 MB, 974x512
Economics or Statistics? What's the better major
>>
>>702513979
ti 82 stats
>>
name of girl in the middle, shes so white l0ol
>>
If you like game theory, go with Economics.
If you like data science, go with Statistics.

If you're not planning on many years of grad school, pick something else.
>>
>>702514446
Elsa Jean
>>
Economics. Teaches you how not to live like a nigger that uses taxpayer money
>>
>>702514450

Econ also teaches parts of stats
>>
File: 504.jpg (17 KB, 488x305) Image search: [Google]
504.jpg
17 KB, 488x305
>>702513979
Neither. Maybe you should get a degree in something that will actually benefit the world.
>>
>>702513979

Economics has a higher earning potential
>>
>>702513979
Economics is more well rounded. But both are great if you want to watch other people make millions.

Save the money from college, build your own damn business.

Start in HVAC or Carpentry. You will make over 60K / yr in your first couple years. Then open your own company in 4-7 years.

A fucking landscaper I know makes 120K /yr for mowing the lawns of businesses and snow removal

The biggest con right now is that "blue collar" work doesn't pay
>>
>>702515588
Totally. The people i know who make real money are "blue collar. "

>>702515282
Elaborate. Im actually considering economics now purely for the money but not sure if it really provides a good income
>>
>>702515030
Because being a jobless loser on 4chan helps society, right?
>>
>>702515588

That's before taxes, healthcare, dental, etc though
>>
>>702515588
They also work in ridiculously shit conditions and work long hours. Done it for awhile and let me tell you waking up to go to work at 6 only to get back home at 19-20h is not a life you want if you have kids. All you do when you get home is sleep.
>>
>>702513979
Statistics. Economics is mostly theory while stats is mostly math. If you go to a good school then economics will have more modelling and math, but most of 4chan goes to shit tier colleges. You want a more quantitative program than qualitative social science bullshit.
>>
>>702517083

So any 4 year university with a statistics major>econ that's not in a prestigious uni
>>
>>702513979
Economics, it's a broad enough business topic that it should help you get a job anywhere
>>
OP do a double major in Econ and Math, then go and work at Wall street and make bank.

I'm an econ phd at a top university, and I see many undergrads do this each year.
>>
>>702513979
Do either of them interest you?
>>
>>702517325
If you're in the states you're pretty fucked if you don't go to an ivy league for job prospectives. If you don't get into an ivy league then do a professional/practical degree instead of a theory/academic degree it will get you directly into a job while academic degree from a shit tier university will get you into a shitty retail job because the market is over saturated.
>>
>>702517633

Yes, both of them but statistics is only offered by certain unis while econ is offered everywhere. I work as an analyst
>>
>>702513979
statistics because you will make more money
>>
>>702513979

>>702517576
>OP do a double major
seconded, if you've got the stones for it
>>
>>702515282
>>702518000

Trips don't lie
>>
>>702518071
Started a double major, switched to honours degree with minor. most people don't realize how difficult it gets and how you don't have choices in your classes. It becomes overwhelming and fast since you HAVE to take a specific sequence of classes to graduate in time
>>
>>702518394

Wouldn't it more sense to get a master's in one
>>
>>702513979
Pharmaceutics
>>
>>702516527
For me its 8hrs a day for landscaping Monday-Friday. April-November. Snow removal is random but most of the time its a 4 month vacation.

250k/yr after almost 7 years in business. My business keeps growing every year.
>>
File: dkZYTb2.jpg (448 KB, 1280x981) Image search: [Google]
dkZYTb2.jpg
448 KB, 1280x981
>>
>>702519018
The double major was economics and political science. Economics was too stressful and math related so I dropped to honours political science and minor economics. The masters in public and international affairs in uOttawa lends you directly in the foreign affairs department, that masters is good to do if you have knowledge of economics which is why a lot of them have done both before the masters.
Professional degree > academic degrees
>>
>>702517576
that's a great idea... except that someone who is
>at a top university
and can
>do a double major in Econ and Math
was going to be successful no matter what

This is the equivalent of "Just buy a winning lottery ticket!"
>>
>>702519583

You can probably get Bachelor's in black lives matter at Harvard & still get a six figure job
>>
>>702519018
Yep! That's what basically everyone does.
>>
>>702516316
Someone has to shitpost. May as well be me.
>>
stat
>>
Econ. Teaches more useful skills for the business world. The caveat is really take a look at the curriculum for the program you are choosing. Some econ programs are more technical than others.

Best bet would be to look into a Finance program. Very similar to econ, but includes additional valuable courses like accounting.
>>
>>702520009

I heard with finance is its either a top 25 program or bust
>>
>>702520166
Anything management, finance, commerce, banking etc. If it's not a good university you work as a fucking manager for Walmart, not Goldman Sachs
>>
>>702520732

So same with econ then?
>>
>>702520914
Econ is a little different. Finance and commerce and management all are very precise fields in which you can end up while economics is very:
A) broad so you can work anything from small businesses, banks, government, non governmental agencies etc
B) not a lot of people end up graduating because of how difficult and how theoretical it is (some people find it too boring to complete their major and transfer)
C) if you go in law afterwards you make bank as you can work for business law etc. (Granted finance and all of those can too, it's an advantage tho)
>>
>>702513979
What about Actuary? Somewhat of a sub-category in applied to either field. I can tell you from behavioral science perspective, stats is really only a Ph.D. level category. From what I know about econ, any quality job in that field is also Ph.D. caliber. For undergrad I would think econ is broader and likely to open more doors. Good luck /b/ro
>>
>>702520732
Michigan uni good enough ?
>>
>>702521560

You can get into actuarial jobs with a statistics degree
>>
>>702521600
I'm from Canada I don't know American universities that well apart from the elitist diplomacy ones. What do you want to do in your end goal?
>>
>>702521718
Would a person be better off to study actuary in grad school then? Wait until masters for specialization?
>>
>>702515588
Pretty much this. My bro got his degree and is a professional engineer. He makes around $80k/year gross but works about 12 hours a day on weekdays and is on-call on weekends. He also has to travel fucking everywhere; he's told me that he's only at home about 48 hours a week.

Go military, work that G.I. bill, pick a MOS that's worth something and become a military-grade applicant after serving your time. That is, granted you don't have the capital or sense to start your own business.
>>
>>702521911

If you wanna gets a masters, a bachelor's in actuarial science, & a master's in stats
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site. This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.