Navigation: /b/ - Random [Archive] | Search | [Home]
RandomArchive logo

George R. R. Martin is an overrated hack. All he managed to

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 163
Thread images: 42
File: stingermissilegrenades.gif (2 MB, 400x224) Image search: [Google]
stingermissilegrenades.gif
2 MB, 400x224
George R. R. Martin is an overrated hack.

All he managed to do with ASoIaF was subvert some expectations about characters having plot armor by making it appear as if all the most unimportant characters were important.

Some people think he's some genius because of the gritty realism of the world, but I'm beginning to suspect he's been trying to write a shitty high fantasy all along but is too incompetent to do even that so whenever he tries to write those parts he can tell they're absolute shit so he just avoids dealing with that entire part of the story even though it's integral to the whole overarching plot.

As a result the few scenes dealing with that shit make no sense because there's no context and there's just suddenly overly-fantastical shit taking place for no apparent reason
>>
There's a race of plant people who were getting their shit kicked in by medieval europeans despite having advanced hand grenade technology. So they create a race of invincible warriors with only one weakness that can also create undead armies at will. Now those monsters want to kill the plant people for some unexplained reason.

As he approaches said high fantasy climax he knows he's incapable of writing anything but other shit so his options are write some bullshit and hide for the rest of his life from angry fans or just end the series with no resolution to anything and hide for the rest of his life from angry fans

He chooses instead to pad out his once in ten years books with bullshit content about shitty characters that will have no importance to the story because his actual goal is to die rich of old age without ever finishing and exposing himself as the fraud that he is

pic related, magical grenades that are more powerful than modern day grenades

p.s. from the show: if we want to blow up a bunch of wights chasing us through a tunnel with our magical grenade, clearly we need to just lie down on the floor and be killed to do so, can't just roll it at them and actually escape ourselves, nope
>>
File: image.jpg (29 KB, 341x341) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29 KB, 341x341
>>685860166
Check out this nerd
>>
File: pocalert.jpg (2 KB, 124x125) Image search: [Google]
pocalert.jpg
2 KB, 124x125
>>685860362
>>
Cool story OP. I'll just sit here and wait while you write a fantasy story that gets picked up by HBO and becomes one of the most popular shows of all time... Well go on faggot, create it. Don't have all night
>>
>>685860241
if hes shit why you read him i stoped at page 30 or something
>>
>>685860452
>commercial success equals quality
So you're a Justin Bieber fan, I take it?
nigger logic
>>
>>685860452
just beacause something is popular doesnt mean its good so that argument is somewhat void
>>
>>685860166
go suck a dick fag boy
>>
>>685860166

you realize he has very little to do with the show?
Its the producers that are fucking shit up.

goddamn you edgy kiddie
>>
File: ulvm0jpkxyaklggfxyav.jpg (52 KB, 720x323) Image search: [Google]
ulvm0jpkxyaklggfxyav.jpg
52 KB, 720x323
>>685860944
>>commercial success equals quality
>So you're a Justin Bieber fan, I take it?
>nigger logic

Top kek. Yup, that's exactly what I was saying
>>
>>685860166
he's definitely not nobel prize material but could you do any better

probably not
>>
>>685860241

The plant people may just plain not produce as fast as regular people. We so no mention of their numbers before the 1st men invaded, and as they stated, the men cut down their uber-trees. Maybe that is how they reproduce? No trees, no people to chuck nades. Maybe it takes a long time to make these grenades, or consumes a lot of their magic life force or whatever shit so they can't make a bunch on a whim so have to stockpile and use them sparingly.
Also, it's still just a fucking grenade. A crossbow shoots a bolt farther, and an army of bowmen will lol all over an army of nade chuckers.
We have yet to see the explanation for the Whitwalkers hating the plant people, but I'd guess it's something along the lines of it having been done as a last-ditch effort by aforementioned plant people and they couldn't REALLY predict perfectly what would happen. Maybe that Nigga Nightking was supposed to forget all about his self when he got turnt but he didn't, a little bit of him stayed, and so he hates all them other niggas, regardless who they be.

As for plant bitch layin down and dyin, yeah that was a bitch of a stretch. But maybe she felt so guilty for having brought that shit out onto the world that she figured now would be a good a time as any to bite the bullet. And maybe it was the show writers that did that and Martin had no intention of that scene going down like that, or if that scene even happens at all in the books.

I dunno, nigga, but you trippin.
>>
>>685860166
its better than your favorite series
>>
>>685861265
>If some random critic on the internet can't become more commercially successful in the next 10 seconds his critique is invalid!
can't tell if retarded or just trolling
>>
>>685861039
Never said it was or wasn't good, just that OP is a faggot batching about someone who's actually done something in life, unlike OP whos only accomplishment is this thread
>>
File: GET_HYPE.jpg (262 KB, 1252x1252) Image search: [Google]
GET_HYPE.jpg
262 KB, 1252x1252
>>685860166
Hey fuccboi

<<<<<<<<<
>>
>>685860241
im pretty sure the kamikaze move from the one was because all of her kind were dead why live?
>>
>>685861589
"Series" are for fat kids

His books are bad as books. They're books. The only people comparing them to fucking Star Trek novels are faggots like you.

Compared to my favorite books, his books are shiiiitttttt
>>
>>685861623
I'd imagine you can't tell much of anything with all those cocks in you fag
>>
>>685860452
>>685861412
>>685861412

Not op but invalid point i cannot say i dont like Twilight because i have to write a better vampire novel?
>>
>>685860166

Well there is a reason. The Children of the Forest are mentioned in the first book, as are their war with the first men.

You're confusing the books with the show. The show is a slow burn. A GOOD slow burn, but a slow burn all the same.
>>
>>685860166
So, what's the name of your book series?
>>
>>685861827
Fuck off hipster. Reddit is waiting
>>
>>685861876
Yup
>>
>>685861876
im saying if it comes to talking to george rr martin about writing he may in fact be more knowledgeable and experienced than op

>>685861993
no no it's true. if anything he's talking about the redditors who enjoy the series. fake people who think using cursed words adds something to what they're saying
>>
>>685861827
mang star trek is boring af honestly
>>
A hack of a write maybe.

Filthy rich now because of his "hack writing skills", oh yes he is. He doesn't even need to write another book now. He's making enough from what he has done to live better then anyone here reading this thread.
>>
You're wrong
>>
>>685861827

>I read books fyi
>I'm not being pretentious at all
>>
>>685861827

>my imagination is teh best

such sophistication
>>
>>
>>685860241
Lost my shit at "advanced hand grenade technology"
The show isn't quite the same and I don't think hes a bad writer but dude that was fucking funny
>>
>>685862530

>memer supremer confirmed

what's your favorite book?
>>
File: 1348250258466.gif (670 KB, 304x150) Image search: [Google]
1348250258466.gif
670 KB, 304x150
>>685860241

> we need to just lie down on the floor and be killed to do so, can't just roll it at them and actually escape ourselves, nope

The point was to slow the wights down, to save Bran. It's also why Summer jumped into a massive pile of undead... the give bran time.

The little plant bitch could have just did what you said, and the blown up ones would just get replaced.

But doing what she did caused them to stop, and bough Bran some time.

Also, fuck you.
>>
The books actually have a consistent fantasy feel to them. Children of the Forest are very much elves, Stannis is a paladin, all sorts of shit like that. The show took the series and made it more realistic, which made things like the build up of the dragon feel much more important, as that was this awesome fantasy thing in this mostly realistic world. However, since fantasy elements are far more scarce in the show than in the book, I totally agree that the show blindsides you with shit sometimes, and it makes it all feel very forced and bullshitty.
Basically, the books are the Lord of the Rings books, except for the edgy 18+ audience, and a little more theming about the mortality of man. Nothing genius, but a fun read. The show does that for like the first 2 seasons and then devolves into fan-service and manipulation by the creators for petty reasons. All that said, I'd rather people be drooling fans of Game of Thrones the show rather than something like True Blood.
>>
>>685860166
That's why his books = shit sales
HBOs take = all the money
>>
>>685862911
>the point

like that's escaping anyone dummy. you have probably never tried to write anything in your life
>>
>>685862826
The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson.
>>
>>685862911
checkd

actually summer died and winter is here now that the zombies arrived symbolism
>>
>>685862826
Seven Pillars of Wisdom
>>
Which character supposedly had plot armor that got killed?
>>
>>685860452
>you can't criticism something unless you can do said thing which you are criticizing better

I guess all those movie critics are actually outstanding directors too, you filthy little pissdrinker
>>
File: 1450149485906.gif (2 MB, 369x310) Image search: [Google]
1450149485906.gif
2 MB, 369x310
>>685861827
sorta this. decided never to read it, cause the series started getting aired and everything was getting spoiled everytime I logged into my email, shit would get spoiled. cause internet.

I'm glad I didn't bother with powering through the series of books, cause after watching the show I'm sorta meh about it. Idc about getting spoiled now, I'm not event current yet.

I find him below my reading level. I know that sounds like pretentious asshole shit, but I likely would have quite halfway through based on what I've seen to this point.
>>
>>685863364
ramsay i mean he didnt got killed but the plot armor is definetly there
>>
>>685862654
This. The nades are silly. But otherwise the show is a solid 8/10
>>
Story sucks, boobs and murder is awesome. Let's show less story and more boobs.... and more muder.
>innovative commercial success.
>>
>>685863364
Everyone thought at first that Ned Stark had plot armor. That was the big one.

Really though, all the important characters always had plot armor. They were just treated like minor characters to hide it.
>>
OP here, I actually agree with those of you saying the show is good. The show is much better than the books. The show actually exposes a lot of the flaws in the books because they're not wasting time with unimportant horseshit, and because they know the story if it's not in the show you know it's unimportant horseshit. The farther along the book series gets, the more unimportant boring horseshit Martin writes about that we KNOW isn't even relevant to the overall plot thanks to the show.
>>
>>685860166
Nah brah. This shit is amazing. Best fantasy since Tolkein.
>>
>>685862959
>the books are the Lord of the Rings books, except for the edgy 18+ audience

Couldn't say it better, most of modern good or "good" lit is way too edgy for my taste
>>
>>685861039
You know, that has always sounded fucking retarded to me.

It seems intrinsic that if a massive amount of people like something, then there is something inherently good about it.

Either way, your opinions are in the minority, and are therefore useless.

Fuck off and die.
>>
>>685864265

Attempting to claim something is good or not is always a fools errand. Because whether it is good or not is entirely subjective.

It is certainly true to say that just because something is popular it doesn't mean YOU will definitely like it. But something being popular DOES increase the chances you'll like it.
>>
>>685864265
>Your opinions are in the minority Galileo, the Sun revolves around the Earth now fuck off and die
>Taylor Swift is the #1 artist therefore she's the best and if you don't like Taylor Swift your opinion is wrong and should fuck off and die
>dat boi is everywhere and tons of people reply "oh shit waddup" so dat boi is the best thing around right now so fuck off and die
>>
>>685860166
Absolutely correct. Wannabe Tolkien who will never be able to wrap up and finish his story if he had 2 lifetimes to do it.
>>
>>685864098
Books
GoT: 8/10
CoK: 8/10
ASoS: 10/10
AFfC: 5.5/10
AdwD: 7.5/10 (consistently underrated by plebs)

Notes:
-We don't know which plot threads will matter in the books based on watching the show
-Red herrings can be a good device
-The show has specifically picked up steam where it has passed the material in the books, indicating to me that 4&5 were setting a lot of shit up for book 6. This is a flaw, but forgivable IMO.
>>
>>685864729
oh shit waddup
>>
>>685864729
oh shit waddup
>>
>>685864920
But we do know which plot threads will matter in the books based on watching the show. Everyone was excited for Lady Stoneheart showing up but she never did so we know she'll have fuck-all relevance in the end. Either that or they'll just pull her out of their ass way later three seconds before she actually needs to be relevant, which would be a retarded move.
>>
I don't keep up on popular culture. Occasionally after something has been popular for a while i will try it. And i do find i like a lot more things that are popular than not popular. But what i've had EVEN MORE success with... are popular things that there is a large backlash against.

So anytime there is a thing that is both popular and there are a shit load of people bitching that it is shit and stupid and overrated - that tends to be the really good stuff.
>>
>>685865451
Hell, it's what they did with the Iron Islands subplot.
>>
>>685860166
you do know that Martin has pretty much lost control over the show by now right? He doesn't even write most of the episodes, at best he is a consultant at this point. Blame HBO for making the show before he was done writing the story. I'm sure there are many faults in his writing, but I think most of what you are talking about is HBO trying to do something that people would think was cool.
>>
>>685865918
like all the gay sex?
>>
>>685864265
you are the reason everything sucks.
>>
File: 1388113942718.webm (3 MB, 1922x1080) Image search: [Google]
1388113942718.webm
3 MB, 1922x1080
>>685860166
>>
>>685866002
Yes exactly, none of that shit was in the books, all put there by HBO for shock value.
>>
Raymond Feist master race reporting in. Fuck GoT
>>
>>685860166
Dickens is an overrated hack. All he did was create compelling characters and pull his audience out of their predispositions with a stark look at the difference between lives.
>>
>>685860166
plot armor is one of the most frustrating things about most media. I think it's my least favorite thing about watching/reading stories.

so I love that JR Martin doesn't do it. but I still didn't bother reading anything past the first book and I haven't watched the show. just don't care enough
>>
File: Sansa Check 'em.jpg (998 KB, 1011x1553) Image search: [Google]
Sansa Check 'em.jpg
998 KB, 1011x1553
>>685860166
>>685860241
lol, you are so wrong,

Im screencapping this and reposting it everywhere so you can see your shame when A Dream Of Spring comes out.

See you in, 2027 faggot!
>>
OP mad he won't ever be successful.
>>
File: benioff little finger.jpg (405 KB, 859x580) Image search: [Google]
benioff little finger.jpg
405 KB, 859x580
>>685865918
THIS
unfortunately

I fucking hate HBO and all the free marketing they got from us book fags
we totally got cucked in every conceivable way
>>
The end of the show will be that tyrion has the iron throne.
>>
>but I'm beginning to suspect he's been trying to write a shitty high fantasy all along but is too incompetent to do even that so whenever he tries to write those parts he can tell they're absolute shit so he just avoids dealing with that entire part of the story even though it's integral to the whole overarching plot.

>As a result the few scenes dealing with that shit make no sense because there's no context and there's just suddenly overly-fantastical shit taking place for no apparent reason

What an extremely vague rant. Mind giving an example?
>>
>>685866343
My OP dubs and your pleb singles seem to refute your theory, fag.
>>
>>685864265
So twilight is good book
So rhianna's wer dur dur dur is better song than Rachmaninoff isle of dead cuz she has more views on youtube
i cannot follow you on this at all explain it a bit better for me
>>
>>685866130
what the fuck? whose penis is that?
>>
>>685860166
Who gives a shit. It's fantasy. It's fun. There's dragons and titties and explosions and magic and mythology and drama. It's entertainment. I don't think it's an artistic masterpiece, but GRRM does fantasy pretty damn well. The fuck have you written?
>>
>>685864265
>Guys. Lets kill as many jews as we can.
>>
>>685866343
bitch gotta fatass throat for being so thin
wait till shes mid 20s
BALOON
>>
File: nigga pls.jpg (21 KB, 450x404) Image search: [Google]
nigga pls.jpg
21 KB, 450x404
>>685866874
>>
>>685867121
the more room for my cock to fit down that cute mouth, you dumb cumskin.
>>
File: 1463982987172.png (8 KB, 498x498) Image search: [Google]
1463982987172.png
8 KB, 498x498
>>
File: 1429841768339.jpg (12 KB, 375x165) Image search: [Google]
1429841768339.jpg
12 KB, 375x165
>>685867214
>>
I luv dick
>>
>>685867121
The fuck are you talking about? Her throat is completely normal.
>>
When will cersei use the mountain to kill the shit out of the religious people?

This is a thing that seems like it's coming, right? That is, it's a common speculation that that shit is coming.
>>
>>685867288
get aids
>>
>>685867288
nice dubs you fucking retard.
>>
>>685860241
Children of the forest were vastly outnumbered. A thousand men with bows and arrows and spears don't give a fuck about your grenades. They also had trebuchets, catapults, cavalry, you fucking name it.

Also no, just no, those firebombs are not more powerful than modern day grenades. Go play CoD more. "hurr durr muh technology"
>>
File: OP The Endless Faggot.png (147 KB, 958x584) Image search: [Google]
OP The Endless Faggot.png
147 KB, 958x584
>>685866343

>>685867323
show me your CSL, lil slut
>>
fuck George.. I've been reading these books since the 90s and he trickles a book here and there every 6 or 7 years... HBO doesn't have a choice. They must continue on regardless of what the fat fuck wants. If he would have finished the next book instead of giving interviews every five minutes we wouldn't be dealing with all these plot holes. RIP Hodor my brother you were fucked from birth. Don't worry Bran will get his when Lord Ramsey stump fucks him in the communal shitter at winterfell.
>>
>>685865677
Nice dubs, but did every one forget they have come out and said that they will be two separate stories?
>>
>>685860166
Dude you gotta use "periods." Lets a nigga know he can breathe.
>>
>>685863668
>thinking Sean Bean wasn't gonna die

Those people were retarded.
>>
>>685867406
The US army uses fragmentation grenades that produce much less of a fireball and do most of their damage with shrapnel. The CoF bombs make a much bigger fireball and could do proportionately more shrapnel damage. Go watch a youtube video of real grenades and then compare them, you dumb faggot.
>>
>>685860166

It's better than anything you've done in your life, in any aspect of it.

Go do something, or stfu.
>>
>>685867959
t. butthurt George
>>
>>685867860
>Army uses less fireball, more shrapnel
>CoF uses more fireball, less shrapnel
>CoF does more shrapnel damage, tho

lolwut
>>
>>685862826
either Brave New World or Dracula
>>
File: 010312171246.jpg (304 KB, 325x800) Image search: [Google]
010312171246.jpg
304 KB, 325x800
>>685868136
Except I never said they do less shrapnel damage, retard. Just that they make a bigger explosion.
>>
File: 1463950333019.jpg (36 KB, 500x523) Image search: [Google]
1463950333019.jpg
36 KB, 500x523
>>685860166
>>685860241
>just now figuring out that George RR Martin is a fucking autist that writes autism that HBO shoehorned tits and fucking into to make money
>>
File: plsresond.jpg (224 KB, 1165x1300) Image search: [Google]
plsresond.jpg
224 KB, 1165x1300
>>685867323
hey...uh do you want to go to a movie or dinner or something uuhhh sometime?
>>
>>685868527
Only if you eat out my ass first ;)
>>
>>685860241
You know that the ending has already been solidified, right? So him dying and leaving the series unresolved is, unless he kamikazes a GoT writers board meeting with some of that sweet, sweet advanced hang grenade technology, rather low.
>>
File: skeltalalert.jpg (4 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
skeltalalert.jpg
4 KB, 125x125
>>
File: 1464046117822.jpg (56 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
1464046117822.jpg
56 KB, 640x1136
>>685867323
....can you text me a picture like this, please?
I'll cook and do the dishes...
>>
>>685865451
Depending on how much the plots diverge she absolutely could matter in the books. Even if everything ends the same, there can be many different routes to get to one destination.
>>
>>685868408
>implying bigger explosion means more damage

There's a reason the army uses a more "explodey" grenade than a more "firey" grenade, because it's more lethal. but "hurr durr theres more fire it looks cooler" fucking moron.

But hey, be my guest, go to some military researcher, and tell him "hey, your grenades should have more fire, it probably does more damage"
>>
>>685860166
>>685860241
I hope you are trolling

am I right?
>>
Who else here was fapping to the main child in the forest chick from Sundays episode?
>>
>>685868408
>The CoF bombs make a much bigger fireball and could do proportionately more shrapnel damage

>more shrapnel damage
>>
>>685867323

>>685867515
>>685868527
>>685868984 skele-cuck

fucking losers, you are no fun -_-
>>
>>685860166
Is your opinion based on the TV show or did you actually read the books?
>>
>>685861469
Children of the forest live significantly longer, and breed significantly less than their human counterparts.
>>
Take a lesson from Lost. Or Trek Next Generation, SG1, or really anything that has ever had a cliffhanger episode. It is far easier to start something than to end it in a satisfying way.
>>
>>685868986
>>685869378
I'll put this in terms you might get if you try real real hard.

little boom with ouchie hurtie
BIG BOOM, maybe with BIG OUCHIE HURTIE
BIG BOOM bigger than little boom!
>>
>>685860241
>>685860166
>being unable to differentiate between the show and the books
You clearly don't know this, but the books don't have plot holes like this. They're pretty well thought out. It's the writers for the show that are shitty
>>
>>685860166

it's kinda falling apart at the end, but it doesn't take away from the first few seasons that were some of the best ever on tv..
>>
>>685869622
Couldn't you say the same thing with the elves in LotR? They live long as fuck, and yet their numbers are pretty small compared to humans. One would think they would breed and just have overwhelming numbers because they live long.
>>
File: raw.gif (516 KB, 220x256) Image search: [Google]
raw.gif
516 KB, 220x256
>>685869754
Lol, no wonder we're arguing- you actually think that's true, don't you?

Okay, well let's have a fight, you can have molotov cocktails, I get standard fragmentation grenades, and we'll see who wins
>>
File: herman_Cain.gif .gif (2 MB, 270x252) Image search: [Google]
herman_Cain.gif .gif
2 MB, 270x252
>>685869433
check'd
>>
>>685867860
Lol, no. They're obviously not meant to produce shrapnel.
a) This is obvious from watching them in action, only wights in contact with the fire are damaged.
b) They're not made of metal, which limits how much damage any shrapnel could do.
c) Fire is what's really effective against the wights, probably best to maximize that and not explosive force/shrapnel.
>>
>>685860166
you know...these scenes aren't based on the book because they haven't been created yet.
the reason the first seasons seemes so well put together is because the novels were finished.
If you think they make as catastrophic a mistake as letting those hoe sisters simply kill the king and overthrow Dorne, you're a negligent Troglodyte
>>
>>685860452
Teen Mom got picked up too. Twice.
>>
File: dont-feed-the-troll.jpg (22 KB, 288x288) Image search: [Google]
dont-feed-the-troll.jpg
22 KB, 288x288
>>685870503
>>685870609
ah, shoot, it's too late
>>
>>685860166
>shitty high fantasy

>high fantasy is shitty

okaaay
>>
File: edgy facepalm.jpg (70 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
edgy facepalm.jpg
70 KB, 900x675
>>685860166
Ok let's break it down...
"George R. R. Martin is an overrated hack." Who isn't? In this day and age of ADD teens playing the role of jaded sophisticates is easy to lose proportion... I haven't heard anyone compare him to Camus and he's not nominated for the Nobel prize... FTW High fantasy is a hack genre...
"All he managed to do... subvert some expectations about... plot armor" Which has basically been the whole point of casual fiction ever since noir became popular... It's actually not a small fat given we've had a good 4 decades of evryone and their mom trying...
"Some people think he's some genius because of the gritty realism of the world," You mean the part of his "fandom" that jumped on the train after having been initiated with Harry Potter and other young adult novels? In the world of reality TV stars become vaible political choices I'm glad there's any people still actually reading books without pictures at all... No one in literary circles thinks Martin is a genius. He is an accomplished/competent writer regardless.
"gritty realism" It's a legit choice in style.
"he's been trying to write a shitty high fantasy" meh, at least there's female characters.
"avoids dealing with that entire part of the story"
Nah man, that's part of dealing with serialized works, you may not like the payoff but the author is entitled to do whatever he likes with his work... Unless you have a smoking gun in terms of narrative structure (eg Snow stays dead) is all speculative as we are talking books none of us have read.
"scenes dealing with that shit make no sense" you can't cry Deus Ex Machina when you have so much foreshadowing, Martin has plenty of choices in terms of story arc that would fit with literary canon, whether you like them or not is completely subjective...
>>
File: 1259299775981.jpg (10 KB, 240x250) Image search: [Google]
1259299775981.jpg
10 KB, 240x250
Things that people praised the series for:

Ice zombies, dragons, blood magic wraiths, Daenerys surviving fires, Clegane and Snow brought back to life with magic, magic charms that keep people young, warging, wildfire, magic abilities to see the past and future, race of giants.

Things people freak out about:

Plant people and time travel.
>>
>>685866343
>See you in, 2027 faggot!
kek
>>
File: Ron-Swanson.jpg (341 KB, 2249x1370) Image search: [Google]
Ron-Swanson.jpg
341 KB, 2249x1370
>>685860166 (OP)
>>685871209
son, is your ">" key broken!?!
ftfy

Ok let's break it down...
>"George R. R. Martin is an overrated hack."
Who isn't? In this day and age of ADD teens playing the role of jaded sophisticates is easy to lose proportion... I haven't heard anyone compare him to Camus and he's not nominated for the Nobel prize... FTW High fantasy is a hack genre...

>"All he managed to do... subvert some expectations about... plot armor"
Which has basically been the whole point of casual fiction ever since noir became popular... It's actually not a small fat given we've had a good 4 decades of evryone and their mom trying...

>"Some people think he's some genius because of the gritty realism of the world,"
You mean the part of his "fandom" that jumped on the train after having been initiated with Harry Potter and other young adult novels? In the world of reality TV stars become vaible political choices I'm glad there's any people still actually reading books without pictures at all... No one in literary circles thinks Martin is a genius. He is an accomplished/competent writer regardless.

>"gritty realism"
It's a legit choice in style.

>"he's been trying to write a shitty high fantasy"
meh, at least there's female characters.

>"avoids dealing with that entire part of the story"
Nah man, that's part of dealing with serialized works, you may not like the payoff but the author is entitled to do whatever he likes with his work... Unless you have a smoking gun in terms of narrative structure (eg Snow stays dead) is all speculative as we are talking books none of us have read.

>"scenes dealing with that shit make no sense" you can't cry Deus Ex Machina when you have so much foreshadowing, Martin has plenty of choices in terms of story arc that would fit with literary canon, whether you like them or not is completely subjective...
>>
File: younglingenthusiast.jpg (25 KB, 447x433) Image search: [Google]
younglingenthusiast.jpg
25 KB, 447x433
>>
>>685871865
nice pedostache ron swanson
>>
>>685871865
ron swanson is a pedo
>>
>>685871865
why do all kiddie-diddlers have a mustache?!!? >=(
>>
File: too old.jpg (58 KB, 680x904) Image search: [Google]
too old.jpg
58 KB, 680x904
>>685871865
>>
>>685860166

He's publicly said he debated whether to include magic at all in the books until much, much later in the process. It wasn't until book three or four that he finally decided to just let it happen. He's a Tolkein nerd with a giant boner for European history.
>>
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 515x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 515x300
H O D O R

Singles: "Hodor"

Dubs: "Ho da der"

Trips: "Hold the Door!"

Quads: Cured of mental illness

Quints: Defeat the Night King by holding the door for all eternity
>>
>>685874998
>Quads: Cured of mental illness
QUADS GET
>>
File: it's something.png (219 KB, 1024x841) Image search: [Google]
it's something.png
219 KB, 1024x841
>>685875656
>5656
>>
File: 577290146.gif (3 MB, 252x263) Image search: [Google]
577290146.gif
3 MB, 252x263
>>685860166
>>685860241
did you wash your jimmies today? or anytime in the past month? they seem pretty...rustled.
>>
File: OP's Iron Throne.png (411 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
OP's Iron Throne.png
411 KB, 640x400
bump for OP's blazig faggotry
>>
>>685861765
as much as i want to see the cleganbowl, thats a pretty one sided fight. the hound has his size and strength going for him. he isn't a absolute master swordsmen like young berrsistan or dayne or earlier jamie. Same is said for the mountain except he's even bigger and even stronger than the hound.

all of which means zombie mountain beats the fuck out of the hound
>>
>>685860166
U will never do anything with your life. This post is your highest achievement. Martin created a world that connected with millions. And he was able to bring in non fantasy fans as well.
>>
>>685877013
i thought the fight during the hands tournament was pretty balanced. neither one seemed to have a significant advantage.
>>
>>685877354
assuming he can finish the series, he will be remembered as the 21st century american tolkin. thats a pretty big fucking achivement.
>>
>>685877550
that fight lasted all of 4 clashes with their sworde.
>>
File: hennessy8.jpg (29 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
hennessy8.jpg
29 KB, 223x310
>>685877013
>>685877550
it's not gonna happen
>the hound is dead, and Sandor has found peace (also is quite injured, likely crippled for life)
> pic related

I bet Cersei is gonna win her trial by combat, but eventually she'll end up self destructing, and Jamie will strangle her
>Mad King - Mad Queen parallelism

>>685874998
roll for magnetized door holder
>>
>>685860241
>>685861469

The children of the forest created the white walkers during the war against the first men, 12000 years ago, and a truce was made. 8000 years ago during the long night the children and the first men fought together to defeat the white walkers. It can be assumed that the long night was what broke the control the children had on the white walkers. Since magic has been growing weaker and weaker since the doom of valyria, until dany got her dragons, it's also likely that the spell locked them away simply wore off and now they're back.
>>
>>685860166
>those parts
>he just avoids dealing with that entire part of the story even though it's integral to the whole overarching plot.
>As a result the few scenes dealing with that shit make no sense

What the fuck are you talking about man?

Try using accurate descriptive terms in place of "shit."
>>
>>685877811
>>685877550
8 clashes. i just counted.
>>
File: aa2.jpg (23 KB, 433x314) Image search: [Google]
aa2.jpg
23 KB, 433x314
>>685860166
>>685860241
>getting their shit kicked in by medieval europeans despite having advanced hand grenade technology
>medieval
>advanced
>hand grenade
....sigh....

>p.s. from the show: if we want to blow up a bunch of wights chasing us through a tunnel with our magical grenade, clearly we need to just lie down on the floor and be killed to do so, can't just roll it at them and actually escape ourselves, nope

ok, you obviously have no clue regarding what ASOIAF is all about, but....
>pic related
>>
>>685866545
This is nothing out of the ordinary for you nerds. Hollywood = popular kids in highschool.
>>
File: door wedge stop.jpg (10 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
door wedge stop.jpg
10 KB, 400x400
>>685874998
nicest guy reduced to $0.67 plastic pic, bloody hell
>>
>>685879059
you can relate it seems.
>>
File: five-forts.png (622 KB, 986x333) Image search: [Google]
five-forts.png
622 KB, 986x333
>>685878081
i feel similarly

>>685878131
http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Five_Forts
more nuanced that that.....

also, there's no such thing as magic in ASOIAF
>>
>>685874998
sextuplets: become bran and greensee and worg into everything thats ever lived all at the same time yet outside time.

I don't, time, pardox, shit, stfu
>>
File: ek2us5.jpg (18 KB, 400x240) Image search: [Google]
ek2us5.jpg
18 KB, 400x240
>>685879059
>>685879276

yup, http://www.sextoyspro.com/dildos-men.shtml
>>
>>685879059
And what is your function in life that is so great? Ahhh now really stop and think about every laugh and cry you have had and tell me what they meant and to who? How have they helped you evade your inevitable death? We are all Hodor my friend.
>>
>>685879440
yo momma's so fat, Bran can't warg into her...
>>
>>685879351
theres thought that the land past the five forts leads to the land of always winter since there is ancient legends of demons and the dead coming from the twilight waste.
>>
File: 51fafb78c856113051000000_736.jpg (96 KB, 561x780) Image search: [Google]
51fafb78c856113051000000_736.jpg
96 KB, 561x780
hi guys how you been?
>>
File: World-of-Ice-and-Fire.png (750 KB, 2060x682) Image search: [Google]
World-of-Ice-and-Fire.png
750 KB, 2060x682
>>685879569
>We are all Hodor my friend.
respect, pic related

>>685879647
yup, some folks and I call it Northeros
Thread replies: 163
Thread images: 42

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site. This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.