Navigation: /b/ - Random [Archive] | Search | [Home]
RandomArchive logo

So I read a shit ton of books, one after another. But I haven't

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 294
Thread images: 43
File: Easy fantastic reads.jpg (912 KB, 1470x1466) Image search: [Google]
Easy fantastic reads.jpg
912 KB, 1470x1466
So I read a shit ton of books, one after another. But I haven't read a novel in YEARS.

I want a book that's an easy read and yet still epic and gripping. These are books that i've heard a good deal about, would any of these fit what i'm looking for? (Not a hard read, gripping and thrilling story)
>>
Enders game is very consumable pre teen fiction. Steven King will always have be an easy read yet entertaining. Blood meridian is cormac McCarthy who's very far from what I would describe as "an easy read" but that specific novel is about a bloodthirsty band of outlaws hired to find, kill, and scalp Indians. And like all McCarthy books it contains symbolism and figurative language about the inherent evil in mankind (like all McCarthy books, i.e. The road/child of God)
>>
>>684184722
Warlock by Oakly Hall was really good. I just finished it. It's a post modern take on the Wild West, definitely worth reading. A lot of short chapters too, so if length intimidates you it's broken up into small bite sized bits
>>
The mistborn trilogy. They are amazing.
>>
You should read 11/22/63 by Stephan king if you haven't, it's one of my personal favorites, incredible book.
>>
>>684184722
oryx and crake all the way.
>>
>>684184722
dune is good, but very dense. be prepared for it.
>>
A really good book from those in the picture you posted would be The Stand by Stephen King, really good, thrilling story and arguably one of kings best novels
>>
File: perfume.jpg (43 KB, 305x468) Image search: [Google]
perfume.jpg
43 KB, 305x468
>>684184722
>>684184722
Best novel I ever read: Perfume
unique genre and storytelling
nothing to do with the shitty movie
>>
Hope you don't mind me hijacking, but I need a recommendation too.
I've never read any warhammer 40k, where the hell should I start?
>>
>>684185700
Gotta concur on this one. Maybe also Scott Lynch's books.
>>
Just read In the Time of the Butterflies. Nice easy read and good story.
>>
>>684185879
i loved that one with some minor complaints - but the very best thing about it, imo, was the sense of nostalgia i had for an era i never experienced. It was a good sci fi story anyhow but I felt pretty immersed in late 50s/early 60s america and that was pretty neat.
Obviously just one anon's opinion, i'm not a critic or anything.
>>
Perdido Street Station by China Mieville
The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski

all great ones
>>
>>684184722
Start reading college text books.
>>
>>684186765
Yea man awesome point, defiantly experienced a nostalgic feel, one of the best things about it now that I think about it.
>>
File: 1338567567724.jpg (11 KB, 210x230) Image search: [Google]
1338567567724.jpg
11 KB, 210x230
>>684184722
just got a Kindle, anyone can recommend any non-fantasy novels I can download? no King either please
>>
>>684185700
>>684186622

I've never read these and am not op, but thanks for the suggestion - i'll pick them up and mayeb check out Scott Lynch as well.
Also to be a bitch since you guys are suggesting what sound like cool stories: i'd love to find a novel, preferably harder sci-fi, set on a starship. I'll read whatever you fags say tho, love new books.
>>
>>684184722
those are all good choices.especially Dune and The Stand. one of my fav books is A Planet Called Treason by orson scott car, Enders Game is pretty badass though.
>>
>>684184722
The Road
>>
Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan. But be prepared. It's about a 15,000 page commitment but very satisfying and great read.
>>
>>684185879
awesome book anon
>>
>>684187161
house of sand and fog, can't remember the author
>>
The dark tower series
Lonesome Dove
>>
File: 1458099090834.gif (2 MB, 368x261) Image search: [Google]
1458099090834.gif
2 MB, 368x261
>>684186483
I would also like to know this
>>
>>684184722
Dune is my favorite book ever. It's very heady but in my opinion not a hard read at all. The story will grip the hell out of you and also give you plenty to think about along the way and after you're finished. A+ 10/10 must-read if you think it might even remotely be up your alley.
>>
>>684186483
The Horus Heresy books are good

Also, the Foundation series by Asimov and the Uplift series by Brin are my favorite sci-fi series by far.

Mortal Engines may be a teen fiction, but it is a surprisingly good series, same with Leviathan
>>
>>684186765
That'd be interesting.

I finally read Stranger In A Strange Land thinking it was going to be some Sci-Fi adventure epic. It was a fucking idiot with a personality cult and a harem, and it was so over the top unrealistic in its 1969s misogyny it damn near turned me into an SJW. That author put all his sexual frustrations and control issues and resentment of women on like every fucking page til it was basically the main character if the story. And there was no sci fi. Or adventure. Just more and more dumb people.
>>
>>684187161
In the Heart of the Sea even if youve already seen the movie. The Tiger. half russian history, half bloodthirsty pissed off tiger who hates people. also is a true story.
>>
>>684185879
Agreed, great book and the Hulu series is actually doing it justice.

My personal favorite King is 'Salems Lot. It is unbelievably creepy, but not for the obvious reasons. The fact that evil is able to consume a town speaks to the darkness of the town and its people, and he does a great job with it.
>>
Blood Meridian is a masterpiece.
>>
>>684187357
My dad keeps suggesting these, and I got soured on them by seeing names from the series from faggots in mmo games. I'll try it again, never gave the first book a real chance.
>>
>>684187289
>>684187588
>>684187756
awesome, thanks!
>>
>>684187667
how on earth is that even possible?
>>
You should definitely check out Blood Meridian, and maybe even The Road too. The Mistborn trilogy is also decent, and a fairly fast read.
>>
Personal favorite that I havent read in a while is Cole Protocol by Tobias Buckel. Also, Ghosts of Onyx by Karen Traviss.
>>
>>684184722
Lightbringer series and the other one by Brent weeks. I definitely classify these as easy reads but they're still very fun.
Also for some good old fashioned sci fi do yourself a favor and read John Varley's Gaia trilogy. It's a hoot.
>>
File: cell.jpg (12 KB, 182x277) Image search: [Google]
cell.jpg
12 KB, 182x277
Stephen King's "Cell" is a medium sized novel and very easy to read.
Has a good story with likeable characters.

A movie is actually coming out this year based on the book.
>>
>>684184722
Way of kings...my god I love the stormlight archives
>>
gotta read the dark tower series if you're gonna read stephen king. shit is so god damn bizarre, but easy to consume.
>>
>>684187357
I second this. It's absolutely my favorite fantasy series.
>>
>>684184722
Read the first 2 Stormlight books, don't know if the 3rd came out. I like them, pretty good. Especially the first book, you get really interesting in the main character and his struggle through slavery. The problem is the second book where the super powers go a little too overboard and the main character basically becomes Goku. It loses some of it's charm. Also just fyi, the author plans to make this a 10 novel series and each book is pretty long for novels, so if you aren't interested in reading that much be warned.

The Stand is a good safe choice, it's Kings best novel. It will hold your interest and is a nice long read. gets pretty dark in some parts and nice twist and turns.

I recommend Prince of Thorns which is the first book of a trilogy thats easy to read and the main character is very intriguing. It reads like dark (very dark) twisted old english storybook about a Machiavellian boy who leads a mercenary group and wants to become king. It's my favorite book of the medieval fantasy genre like ASOIF, Black Company, and Stormlight Archives.
>>
>>684187854
The first book takes a little time to get going, I will say that. But once you get into it, it moves pretty well. I've never read anything where I cared so much or got so frustrated with characters.

And the series wraps up in a VERY satisfying manner, which is really great considering all the time you spend reading it.
>>
The Stand is massive as fuck.

Not recommended if you have a deadline/busy schedule.
>>
>>684184722
The Alienist
Devil in the White City
>>
>>684184722
The only book in OP's pic that isn't total shit is Dune.
>>
>>684187752
Yeahhh thats Heinlein.
>>
The Destroyermen series is amazing, check it out.

World war 2 US Pacific ship is transported to another reality, landing in the middle of a war between lemur people and raptor people
>>
>>684184722
Ringworld

Has a great sequel too.
>>
>>684187357
I read through either 7 or 8 when I was in high school (I'm 35 now) and they really were some of the best fantasy I've ever read. BUT Jordan really could have shortened just a bit. Hell, if he had, he probably could have finished before he died. I only stopped reading because I got current for the time and it took him so long to release the next massive volume that I forgot a lot of what was going on. I wasn't going back to RE-read that much.
>>
>>684187752
I actually agree with this assessment.
>>
>>684186483
Gaunts Ghosts is solid, though mainly about the Imperial Guard. Still great though.

Theres also a few books about a Space Marine chapter called "The Soul Drinkers" that I enjoyed. I don't remember authors name for either, sorry.
>>
>>684184722
The early Dragonrider of Pern books are really cool. They usually tell a self contained story using the same settings. They get a little tired and weird later on.
>>
>>684184722
do yourself a favor and read kingkiller chronicles.

i read 4 out of your 6 books, i loved every single one and dune might be my favorite novel of all time.

but kingkiller ist just so natural. the language is probably the most beautiful i've ever seen, and even though the pacing is sometimes a bit off, it's by far my favorite fantasy series.

honestly, i've read both books in about 2 weeks, it's just that fucking good.
>>
>>684187752
I haven't read that but i do hate it when authors inject a bit too much of their personal politics or bias into their stories. I know it's going to happen (and often a good thing in small amounts) but it tends to turn me off, even if I might agree with them.
Not totally related since it's LOLcomicbooks, but Mark Millar (wrote original "ultimates", basis for much of the movies now, at least the foundation) - he is very left wing and anti-imperialism, which is fine, but he loves to jack off about it every other page.
>>
>>684188151
I was so worried that the ending would be a HUGE letdown and that they'd screw it up a la Harry Potter, but it wasn't at all a let down. I put down the last book and felt very content.
>>
>>684187752
Jesus.
>>
File: image.jpg (33 KB, 285x456) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33 KB, 285x456
>>684184722
Don't be a faggot, OP.
Read this shit right here.
>>
>>684184722
What if you wrote a book?
>>
>>684184722
i enjoyed enders game. despite the audience.
the commonwealth series by peter f. hamilton is a decent read if you are into sci fi stuff.
same goes for the void trilogy, by the same author.
currently going through some neal asher novels.

imo. if you are going to read a book, do it on an ereader. saves you turning pages. and its lighter than an actual book.
>>
>>684184722
Way of Kings is crazy good, maybe one of my favorite books ever, but quite long. Mistborn starts slow, but is good also.

The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss are excellent, and not especially long or hard to get in to. Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear are the two out presently. Give them a shot.
>>
Read the Expanse series. SciFi, good writing, they made it into a show too. Highly recommended
>>
File: Acts-of-Caine-covers-line.jpg (87 KB, 780x302) Image search: [Google]
Acts-of-Caine-covers-line.jpg
87 KB, 780x302
Acts of Cane series. Best fucking book series you've never heard of.
>>
>>684187357
Read the first 5 and then prepare to give up remembering the bazillion characters and hate Robert Jordan for being a cunt.
>>
>>684188199
some people recommend just reading the first 3 books and then stop, what do you think about that?
>>
>>684187752
Heinlein went full retard for sure, but I still love his early stuff.

You want balls to the wall crazy? Number of the Beast.
>>
>>684188273
i found it to be too draggy.

>>684188421
of the limited 40k books ive read, emperors gift is by far most superior.
gaunts ghosts gets a bit too involved on an individual level, and seems less space opera-ish.
>>
The Necroscope series by Brian Lumley is very good. There are like 9 or 10 of the books following 1 continuity. About a man who can talk to the dead, and not-lame vampires (books were out well before the current trend)

Also by Lumley the Titus Crowe series, it is a cthulu-universe series. They get VERY weird tho.
>>
>>684187357
Loved WoT, but there where some parts that tried my patience. I can only handle so much chronicling of Andoran royalty... but the payoff in the finale was well worth it.
>>
So quick question guys, which book by King is better in your guys opinion IT or The Dead Zone ?
>>
Joe Abercrombie books are pretty good.
Brenk Weeks Night Angel was a good read.
Orcs by Stan Nicholls is great.
and of course A Song of Fire and Ice by GRR Martin
>>
>>684188375
>>684187357
Oh and also had to add, his explanation of magic was the best ever. Channeling was something I could kind of tangibly picture myself doing, and the process behind doing it, rather than "poof here's a fireball!"

That was neat.
>>
>>684186483
dude i asked the same question about 6 months ago in a similar thread, i ended up just googling warhammer books and started at the top. let me tell you im so happy i did, im like 30 books deep into the horus heresy stuff and have only skipped a few books, i definitely suggest you read these books.
>>
>>684188557
average/10

the prequel to 3001 was better.
>>
>>684188665
Actually listening to the newest Mistborn right now.
>>
Red rising trilogy or name of the wind... I think it is the king killer chronicle name of the wind is an amazing book must read
>>
>>684184722
read "on a pale horse" you will not be dissapointed
>>
>>684184722
The Stand is one of the most based books ever written
>>
>>684187693
Yes. Best imaged complete universe.
>>
If you want something very light but lengthy the Redwall series is fantastic. It is written at a grade school level but has an enormous lore and continuity (and the author did not pull punches on the battles)
>>
>>684188375
I did make the commitment to go back and re-read at book 11 and then read 12-13 without doing that, but read 14, the final book after going back and reading all of them. Took me about 3 months, reading predominantly at night.

The most aggravating is book 9, Winter's Heart because there is a cliff hanger with my favorite character in book 8 that doesn't get picked up til book 10. At the time I was waiting for the next book to come out so when I read book 9 and nothing came of it, I was pissed.
>>
File: mley.jpg (94 KB, 520x866) Image search: [Google]
mley.jpg
94 KB, 520x866
>>684188812
meine neegrow. Loved the series when I was a kid. Came for the cover art, stayed for the world building, and Lumley's excessive use of the apostrophe.
>>
File: 3034272._UY200_.jpg (12 KB, 124x200) Image search: [Google]
3034272._UY200_.jpg
12 KB, 124x200
>>
>>684188859
IT . Dark Tower is probably still my favorite, because I'm a continuity whore. The one book of his I find myself coming back to a lot is Needful Things, it doesn't suffer as much bloat as some of his works and keeps the plot interesting and is filthy as fuck. Great book.
>>
File: wat da fuk.gif (3 MB, 240x220) Image search: [Google]
wat da fuk.gif
3 MB, 240x220
>>684187667

>dat gif
>>
>>684189038
Loved this when I was younger, have always meant to go back and read it.

Met Jacques when he came to our grade school and did a reading of Redwall. Have the original trilogy signed by him.
>>
>>684188920
Nice. Michael Kramer may very well be the best audiobook narrator of all time.
>>
>>684187357
oh man I fucking love these books, I'm not really into fantasy outside of having read some mainstreams like tolkien shit but these were my JAM growing up - sanderson turns the characters into goofy caricatures of themselves by the time he takes over, and he can't write action/combat scenes with the sparse gravity that jordan managed, but I guess I was glad it had a conclusion of any kind...

in b4 nynaeve pulls her braid, saldaean dresses, and details on the gilding of a tairen arch on a bridge some side character passes under once

>>684188866
best goddamn magic/force/supernatural system in any franchise I've ever encountered except for maybe something like railgun or mahouka where it's all willpower and physics, I always have and always will want a video game that conveys weaving effectively and turns into something potentially complex but intuitively playable
>>
>>684187973
your descending colon extends all the way up to approximately where the bottom of your ribcage is.
>>
>>684188487
Yeah, I agree.. Read the Kingkiller chronicles, only hitch is that it's a trilogy and the last book won't be out until next year... but OMG it's reallllly good.
>>
A couple good reads are the Sci-Fi series put out by Joshua Dalzell and another by Ryk Brown.
>>
File: bestever.jpg (13 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
bestever.jpg
13 KB, 259x194
>>684188861
night angel has the most cringe inducing end of a series i've ever read.

i was looking for another
>pic related
but ended up being so annoyed afterwards that i hated myself for commiting time reading it.

and the most frustrating part is that the books started getting really good after the second half of the second book.
>>
File: index.jpg (8 KB, 156x240) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
8 KB, 156x240
insomnia is a great read, it fits into the dark tower/crimson king arc too.
why no movie of this? it would be fucking awesome
>>
Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut.
The man writes like he's speaking to a child so it's super easy to read, keeps his paragraphs short. I assume you're at least borderline literate, so you should be able to choke it down. He plays with enormous themes (think on the scale of dune) so it's gripping as fuck
>>
>>684189419
He's great. Him and Stefan Rudnicki are personal favorites of mine.
>>
>>684187973
People's inside are a bit more, uh, flexible then it is generally realized. Just need to prevent tearing and its fine.
>>
>>684188127
King really foresaw cellphones becoming an all consuming evil. But in this day and age there would only be like 80+ year old people and babies unaffected. Probably going to be a boring movie.
>>
>>684184722
Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion. Might be my favorite science fiction out there. Kind of light sci-fi but it takes you through about six sub-genres in the first book which all lead towards an astounding finish in the second. Manages to build a very large universe that feels fleshed out in only two books.
>>
>>684189296
i agree leland gaunt its awesome wish king used in another novel....or maybe he did already and im not aware of it
>>
>>684184722
Nigga go read The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell. Historical Fiction about vikings and shit, pretty simplistic English and a goddamn entertaining read.
>>
>>684188692
I agree. They did about half the first book as a tv series, which is also good but as always, not as good as the books. Yeah, The Expanse. Way high on my book list.
>>
Malazan book of the fallen trumps everything suggested so far
>>
>>684189439
Hahaha and in before horse descriptions, Cairhien powdered foreheads, and Seanchan insect armor. See you in Tel'aran'rhiod.
>>
>>684189439
>I always have and always will want a video game that conveys weaving effectively and turns into something potentially complex but intuitively playable

This would be truly fucking groundbreaking.
>>
>>684187752
SIASL is the cringiest book I've ever read. The entire book is a dom fantasy written by a full grown adult virgin man with the sexual maturity and perspective on adult relationships of a frustrated, confused, angsty 13 year old boy who can't make sense of anything. If /b wrote a book, this would be it.
>>
im looking for a good unheard of post apocalyptic book if anyone knows of one. i feel like ive read most everything in that genre which kinda sucks. also if someone knows of something written in the same style as world war z thated be sweet to.
>>
>>684189615
Stephen King is pretty free with his movie rights, except for a few works. This is probably one of them. Also he has been a little gun shy since they fucked up Dreamcatcher so badly.
>>
>>684184722
>ctrl F
>no Gentlemen Bastard
great read guys
>>
File: taddy.jpg (140 KB, 800x321) Image search: [Google]
taddy.jpg
140 KB, 800x321
>>
>>684186483
The iron warriors omnibus is a good read too about the chaos space marines
>>
>>684189439
Hahaha and in before horse descriptions, Cairhien powdered foreheads, and Seanchan insect armor. See you in Tel'aran'rhiod.

And yeah, the "magic" was such a believable concept. And when they reach out with "threads", made the whole idea more organic.
>>
>>684189785
i can't believe morgan freeman starred in that garbage.
also, i could totaly see freeman as ralph roberts
>>
>>684184722
metro 2033 is a good read, there are 2 out at the moment and a third is been translated from russian to english as we speak
>>
>>684190000
jesus fucking christ, gonna trigger my PTSD... the man was verbose as shit but he could write a thoroughly detailed world

czecht, btw
>>
Crank series by Ellen Hopkins, Demonata and Curque Du Freak by Darren Shan are also great reads
>>
>>684189668
Hrm, my knowledge of his body of work is fairly extensive and I do not believe he has ever been brought back. He is a wizard in the same vein as Randall Flagg and the guy from The Perfect Storm, but he himself hasn't made a return. A sequel might be nice, but unsure what story could be told that would not just be a re-hashing of the first one.
>>
>>684189615
>heros are all senior citizens
>the protagonist shoots lasers by making a gun gesture with his hand

This book is literal shit.
>>
Stephen King is so fucking overrated
>>
>>684190072
Yea, same on both accounts
>>
File: farseer-trilogy.png (312 KB, 522x277) Image search: [Google]
farseer-trilogy.png
312 KB, 522x277
This was an amazing trilogy
>>
Is Dune really worth it?
>>
>>684190177
Not his great works. But he has just soo much mediocre material because he writes so much. Also he could use a better editor, some books could be close to half the length (but his readers tend to be voracious and demand more, so you get what you wish for I suppose)
>>
>>684190361
Yes. It is. It's a dense read though
>>
>>684190361
yeah.
maybe the best sci-fi book there is.
>>
>>684190000
Lol I got quads.
>>
>>684190361
It's sort of a polarizing series. You'll know within a couple chapters whether you'll love it or hate it.
>>
>>684190361
The first Dune : Yes, a classic of literature that stands the test of time.

The rest written by Frank Herbert : Yes for the most part, but its gets a little preachy (literal space jews anyone?). You wouldn't regret not reading them on your death bed.

The rest by Brian Herbet : Not really, unless you like your continuity porn. Pick up the cliff notes for what was suppose to happen after Chapterhouse if you really want to know what happened (or what Brian thought was suppose to happen based on "notes" which may not have been authentic and "conversations" he remembers)
>>
>>684190361
Fucking read it. And if you've already seen the movie, forget everything you think you know. I love David Lynch but that movie was a total abortion. Even he realized that after the fact.
>>
>>684190177
He just doesn't know how to write believable characters (especially writing kids). I just read a story of his where 16 year old modern kids where saying stuff like "booger brains" and "butt face". The only type of characters he believably writes are old people in his novels. I think he is just a little out of touch with the times nowadays and still writes people like they are living in the 60s even though his story takes place in the present
>>
>underrated sci-fi
>>
>>684190107
Darren Shans vampire series was the shit, i read it 3 or 4 times when i was younger.
>>
File: covers_316575.jpg (44 KB, 304x500) Image search: [Google]
covers_316575.jpg
44 KB, 304x500
probably my favourite book when i was a teen. might want to skip the sequel though
>>
>>684191200
Heh, space Queequeg
>>
>>684191052
the soundtrack is incredible though, and i hate toto
>>
>>684191052
>implying any movie is better than the book
>>
>>684190297
I liked that series, but man the main character is such a little bitch sometimes with the woe is me bullshit, like sure he went through some hard trials but it even carried over to the series after that one.
>>
>>684191052
The Scifi adaptations of the first 3 books was pretty good though, if you've never seen them.

In fact they were one of the last good things to come out of that channel. And no I will not spell it like they do now.
>>
Sciencefag here
How do you guys enjoy reading? I just can't seem to be entertained by any book no matter what genre. I don't lack the imagination, I'm actually a pretty creative artist. Advice?
>>
>>684191768
"The Mist" Was slightly better then the book, although that was just a novella. That twist at the end was so dark and delicious they should put it on pastry.
>>
>>684188008
Always did like the Halo books by Nylund, I heard Travis went and fucked them up after Ghosts of Onyx.
>>
>>684191953
i literally laughed out loud when it happened.

whole family was staring at me being all wtf...
>>
>>684187232
Honor Harrington series by David Weber.
Starfire series by Steve White and David Weber

on the more fantasy side of things;

Hells Gate series by David Weber (again)
The Death Gate Cycle by Margaret Weis
>>
File: 13616278.jpg (144 KB, 312x475) Image search: [Google]
13616278.jpg
144 KB, 312x475
Some of you guys will like this series
>>
Piers Anthony's " Incarnations of Immortality" series.
you will get hooked and binge read them one right after the other.
>>
>>684184722
Enders game big time, great story nothing like that piece o' shit movie, Hitchhikers guide is more comedic than "epic"
>>
>>684188487

>>I posted the David Weber stuff; Kingkiller is amazing.
>>
Michael Crichton books tend to be good. He likes to do his research.
>>
>>684191768
Well sure, but this one was particularly atrocious.
>>684191812
I actually agree completely on this one. Dune is totally impossible to translate to the screen, but they made as good an attempt as could be expected. And I hate their gay ass spelling change too.
>>
>>684192482
to be fair kingkiller is a pretty good series, too bad book 3 is never comin out
>>
The Belgariad, by David Eddings. Two series' of five books, and three appendices. Wonderful fantasy novels with quite the gripping plotline.
>>
>>684192186
Same poster; Honor Harrington will scratch that starship sci-fi itch. a huge portion of the books are starship combat. Same with the Starfire series.

>>Almost all star wars books are great too

>>Space Opera in general
>>
>>684187752
heinleins "the moon is a harsh mistress" is pretty much the opposite. women have all the sexual freedom and and are pretty much treasured.
>>
>>684187752
Heinlein was a satarist, you literary cuckold. SIASL makes gender politics of the post-War period so ridiculous, yet reflective, it makes them impossible to defend seriously. Starship Troopers did the same thing to militant facism, Moon is a Harsh Mistress to capitalism, etc. The only person who ever did it better was Vonnegut
>>
>>684184722
Hitchhiker's guide literally says it's 5 novels in one, faggot.
>>
File: 18748012.jpg (80 KB, 317x475) Image search: [Google]
18748012.jpg
80 KB, 317x475
>>684184722
Definitely an easy read and has some pretty decent moments. Something you could easily read in one sitting, and keeps you entertained.
>>
File: The_Name_of_the_Wind_(UK)_cover.jpg (405 KB, 1666x2560) Image search: [Google]
The_Name_of_the_Wind_(UK)_cover.jpg
405 KB, 1666x2560
>>684184722
THIS

YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT
>>
File: 6207115.png (254 KB, 583x394) Image search: [Google]
6207115.png
254 KB, 583x394
I found the Dresden Files very entertaining and funny as hell.
>>
>>684193385
at least look through the thread before posting
>>
>>684192585

if you like kingkiller give Robin Hobb a spin
I started with Fool's Errand
>>
File: 9780307292063_p0_v2_s192x300.jpg (17 KB, 192x271) Image search: [Google]
9780307292063_p0_v2_s192x300.jpg
17 KB, 192x271
>>684184722
I recommend Asimov's Foundation, specifically the core trilogy. It's not exactly light reading, but it's very interesting and witty, makes for an enjoyable read, sort of an epic-scale sci-fi mystery. Better than any of his Robot sfuff.
>>
>>684186822
I can vouch for House of Leaves.

That book blew my fucking mind.
>>
>>684193604
Very true! Best of his work, and that is saying something
>>
>>684186895
Some people like to read for pleasure, he may also be done university like me faggot
>>
>>684193505
Ive read her stuff, I like it but sometimes the main characters bitch tears get annoying, overall good series tho. you should check out The Traitor Son Cycle series.
>>
>>684189619
One of my all time favourite books. Slaughterhouse-Five and Breakfast of Champions are better, imo, but it's close.
>>
File: hisdarkmaterials.jpg (325 KB, 1000x1545) Image search: [Google]
hisdarkmaterials.jpg
325 KB, 1000x1545
favorite of edgelord atheists everywhere.
is actually a damn good trilogy, considering its aimed at kids
>>
I've actually been told that the Witcher series (the same as the ones the vidja gaemz were based on) are quite good. Can anyone confirm or deny?
>>
>>684193970
This is fucking amazing, I'm an edgelord atheist myself and I've never even heard of them.
>>
>>684193970
Lol I read this as a kid instead of harry potter. Probably why I'm so fucking well adjusted.
>>
>>684185879
>>684186765
112263 is the best
Also I got DUBS
>>
>>684193712
In general I think of Asimov below guys like Vonnegut, Clark or Dick, but mannn those books are great.
>>
>>684184722
American Gods is great book also, might wanna check it out.
>>
>>684184722
>ctrl+f
>no American Gods
>wat

American Gods
>>
The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith
>>
>>684194369
>>684194447

dat hivemind
>>
>>684194369
>>684194447
>hivemind
>>
File: image.jpg (51 KB, 264x443) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51 KB, 264x443
Raymond E Feist, start out with magicians apprentice and magician master
>>
Also i can't believe no one recommended Seveneves
>>
>>684194467
>jk Rowling cuck
>adult now
>man i wish there was more harry logger
>furious masturbations
>>
>>684186483
the Cain books are pretty good
the author loves to liberally copy-paste whole descriptions between books, but it's a (slightly) lighter take on the 40k world that's also actually well written other than that
>>
>>684194369
>>684194447
Can confirm that the hivemind is correct. Plus OP you're looking for an easier read and it couldn't get much easier than this. If you're already a fan of more obscure mythological figures you'll like it even more. If you aren't, you'll enjoy reading up on a lot of the "actual" gods.
>>
>>684194106
>>684194181
you may be interested to hear that the BBC have commisioned a TV series. might wash the taste of that 2007 abortion away
>>
>>684184722
the gunslinger by steven king. very easy cool engaging experiance
>>
>>684194660

I didn't realize she wrote it until I finished reading it and looked the author up. It's a good book, she's a good author, deal with it.
>>
enders game. but try Ringworld instead. card is a pussy mormon faggot dingbat, but he is a good storyteller. niven may be a neofascist, but he doesnt proselytize.
>>
>>684188487
First book is The Name of the Wind
http://www.amazon.com/Name-Wind-Kingkiller-Chronicle/dp/0756404746/
>>
>crtl+f
>no Ready Player One

Easiest and most enjoyable read you could get OP
>>
>>684195109
book 3 NEVER
>>
>>684194851
Oh good a BBC adaptation

>bunch of stage actors
>one actor jeremy irons-tier for the commercials
>shitty costumes from the queens basement
>shitty effects made on the queens 1998 thinkpad
>filmed on a potato
>oh my god it's so good
>im a huge dumb fuck
>>
>>684195109
i... know?
>>
>>684194983
I wanted to like this but couldn't. Stephen King can make decent characters and even conceive decent stories, but he just isn't a very good writer to me.
>>
Catch 22. Yossarian Lives!
>>
>>684195256
its got a big budget and new line cinema are involved somewhere
>>
>>684188239
Just read that this previous year, the unedited version. I do believe it was the longest King book, aside from Under the Dome. It was 1,500 pages.

It was also the best book I've ever read, for what it's worth.
>>
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 230x346) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 230x346
Fucking this right here
>>
>>684195256

dont forget the blue camera filters in every scene for no reason
>>
I haven't read Blood Meridian or Way of Kings, but for the others, I'd go with Ender's game for easy-to-read fun, Dune for a slow build to a satisfying conclusion, the Stand because it's just a good horror/adventure book, and Hitchhiker's Guide because it's the best fucking thing, period. I'd also suggest H.P. Lovecraft's Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath
>>
Highly recommend Warm Bodies for it is easy to read, exciting, beautiful and philosophical. (Also the prequel is available and the sequel is coming out in January)
Another book I recommend that is very good but sometimes drags on is Let The Right One In.
Started Lord of the Flies and it sea pretty good but idk.
If you want a graphic novel (tv show:movie::comic:graphic novel) I'd recommend watchmen
>>
Aight fuck it i keep thinking of great books. will try to make this a master list

Sci-Fi - Space Ships

Most Star Wars
Honorverse (David Weber)
Furies (David Weber)
Starfire Series (David Weber, Steve White, Other Author)

Sci-fi Fantasy
Multiverse (David Weber)
Farseer, and Tawny Man Trilogy (Both same characters by Robin Hobb)
Kingkiller Chronicles obviously
Game of Thrones books are fun
Lord of the rings i liked, but read slowly
Deathgate Cycle

Great authors to follow Timothy Zahn, David Weber, Steve White, GRR Martin, Patrick Rothfus, Margret Weis

Of those that i feel have very in depth characters; Nearly anything made by David Weber, Patrick Rothfus, Margret Weis, GRR Martin.

Good reads that i like that may be surprising to some

The Maze Runner
Hunger Games
The Fifth Wave

Yes i know these are all YA Hero stories but i believe reading defies age.

This isnt nearely it but i have well over 500 books in my personal collection so its a start

Yes i fucking love David Weber.
I plug Honor Harrington any time i get.
>>
>>684195160
Ready Player One is sort of shit.

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson is the most enjoyable read. Just a breeze, great characters and setting, very prescient. Hilarious. Sort of a weird 3rd act but it holds.
>>
File: wpgBnR2.png (48 KB, 781x803) Image search: [Google]
wpgBnR2.png
48 KB, 781x803
how many times has pic related been brought up?
>>
>>684184722
Canticle for Liebowitz.

Thank me by passing it along to somebody else.
>>
The man in black fled across the desert...and the gunslinger followed.
>>
>>684193793
Will do!
>>
Enders game is good. Dune is better. Read dune then move on to other shit. After reading it you can see how much it impacted the Sci fi genre on books/movies
>>
>>684195789
>Yes i fucking love David Weber.
I was going to point this out if you didn't.
>>
Oh! One more, Roadside Picnic (make sure you read the newer translation it is better)
>>
File: 1332327005688.jpg (754 KB, 1136x3000) Image search: [Google]
1332327005688.jpg
754 KB, 1136x3000
some old sci-fi infograph
>>
>>684195789
Oh God the fifth wave was cancerous
>>
epic sci fi: hyperion and fall of hyperion by dan simmons
literature/thriller: the innocent by ian mcewan
fantasy: sleeping in flames by jonathan carroll
womens literature: alison lurie is funny and insightful, cant remember, i think it was foreign affairs.
oh, even better: mona simpson, anywhere but here (forget that it was a movie, its real literature)
>>
File: download.jpg (8 KB, 176x270) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8 KB, 176x270
This is a pretty epic series, the setting is mysterious but seems to be a few hundred years after humanity is driven back to the dark ages by creatures that rise from the ground at night and attack them.
the final book in the series is due out soon too, so by the time you get up to it you wont have to wait long.
>>
>>684195834
Fantastic choice. Great analysis of the pros and cons of religion, and just a fascinating read in general.
>>
>>684186148
Also huge series, linear books there's like 8 or 9 and maybe 4 sets of 3 book series that are wonderful in their own right. I would go with the stand, plenty of material and very well written
>>
>>684195804
yeah, not really straightforward, but tons of fun for sf and non sf fans. good pick
>>
The Player of Games, by Iain M. Banks. Or really any of his Culture series. Excellent science fiction.
>>
>>684184722
The Labyrinths of Echo books are good. First one is called The Stranger. Were popular enough in Russia to get stranslated to english recently.
>>
>>684196153
>the tripods
>rendesvouz with rama

fucking loved these as a kid.
>wheres my fucking rama movie, morgan freeman?
>>
>>684196040

I just like his character development and his way of illustrating large scale fleet engagements across thousands of kilometers is unparalleled in my experience. He takes stuff that would be boring and turns it fun

>> I forgot The Lost Fleet series (Jack Campbell) with sci-fi spaceships. Easier read as i think its meant for young adults.
>>
File: 13151779.jpg (10 KB, 308x475) Image search: [Google]
13151779.jpg
10 KB, 308x475
Very enjoyable mindfuck, weirder than the anime adaptation but not necessarily better...
>>
Warm Bodies
>>
>>684187731
>Brin
>Mortal Engines
Your taste is objectively good
>>
File: amber.jpg (55 KB, 333x499) Image search: [Google]
amber.jpg
55 KB, 333x499
http://www.amazon.com/Great-Book-Amber-Complete-Chronicles/dp/0380809060

I'll throw this one into the ring. Amber is a place not a person. Technically more epic than anything else. I feel I should explain that, but I don't want to spoil it.
>>
>>684196224
Eh, it was simple, i think people bash on it too much. That said i do recognize it has plenty of flaws.
>>
Neverwhere and Anansi Boys are much better books than American Gods by Gaiman. It's still a good read though.

Lonely Werewolf Girl, Curse of the Wolf Girl, and The Anxiety of Kalix the Werewolf by Martin Millar are well worth reading.
>>
>>684197074
One of my old bros had a massive hard-on for everything Zelazny wrote but I have never read any of it.
>>
>>684187693
It's surprisingly funny in places, with well observed characters and all the frustration and intrigue that goes with thousands of years of shifting political positions. Weeks of reading in the series, but you won't want it to end.
>>
>>684188239
It is enormous. Good though.
>>
>>684184722
Since you seem to like sci fi / fantasy, try the fionavar tapestry by guy Gavriel kay. As an aside, good to see more readers out there, even on /b/
>>
File: ToSayNothingOfTheDog.jpg (21 KB, 210x346) Image search: [Google]
ToSayNothingOfTheDog.jpg
21 KB, 210x346
To Say Nothing Of The Dog by Connie Willis.

It is a comedy about time travel. Very funny, very engaging and suspenseful story, and the time travel mechanic Willis uses here actually follows its own rules and does not create plot holes. Highly recommend. It's one of my favorite standalone novels.
>>
>>684188239
I wasn't a fan of The Stand, at least not the ending. if you tore the last quarter off the book you would have a near perfect story, but in true King style the ending was a steaming pile of shit, it kind of ruined it for me.
>>
>>684195694
Dude hell yea
>>
>>684184722
I was told to read Name of the Drum, Mutiny on the Bounty, and oddly, Name of the Wind.

Anyone read those?
>>
File: image.jpg (57 KB, 324x499) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57 KB, 324x499
This book will change the way you think about skin.... Or something.
>>
>>684184722
dark tower by stephen king
>>
If you like Scifi/fantasy you can try Dune, Wheel of Time, Malazan, or Black Company. They're all long series but they're pretty good.
>>
if you want a really good long book the Count of Monte Cristo is amazing
>>
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 220x334) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 220x334
>>684195338
He's the Big Mac of literature. Immensely popular, very saleable, easy to get and easy to consume but not going to win any Michelin stars.

Hitchikers guide is great fun but also consider The Dirk Gently books which are also excellent, dealing with a degenerate private eye who has to deal with ghosts, gods and the occasional smart-Alec suicide.

Here's one from left of centre: Marrow; Robert Reed. It's about a Jupiter sized artificial planet that is found entering the solar system. Humans board it, and realise that it is too massive to alter its course more than slightly - so they remain on it and use it as a cruise ship, taking on aliens as guests as it goes about its endless grand tour, and investigating its origins and purpose as they go.
>>
>>684184722
Check out The Redwall series. More geared towards a younger audience and quite old but killer
>>
Steven King's "The Dark Tower" series. Fucking epic and breathtaking.
>>
>>684187667
Why do I think she's speaking like an Aussie?
>>
>>684195406
God tier fiction.
Excellent book ~ desu
You must read it ~desu
>>
>>684196997
Thanks bro, I also liked Glory Season a lot
>>
The Troop and The Deep both by Nick Cutter were very good horror novels.
>>
>>684184722

Blood meridian style only works for the battles

Dune is alright

Ender's game is overrated

Hitch hikers is great

And I can't get into stephen Kong's style
>>
>>684199828
>redwall
>im literally five
>>
File: image.jpg (10 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
10 KB, 125x125
>>684199955
Also, I read Misery one night when I was 14. Holy fuck, I was scared.
>>
The Way of Kings. Read it. You'll be hooked.
>>
>>684195804
curious why you think ready player one was shit?
>>
File: image.gif (120 KB, 600x487) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
120 KB, 600x487
>>684200818
>>
>>684184722
Voices of Fire it annoyed me because I am used to reading books that take me, as a fast reader, weeks to finish. But this only took about 2 days. I feel he could have developed the characters infinitely better if he had made it another 5000 words longer. As it is, I enjoyed it.
>>
>>684200671
>Stephen Kong

Imagining him stuck up the Empire State Building, swatting biplanes. Thanks for the giggle anon.
>>
>>684184722
Do you like military-themed fiction? If so:
>Anything by Tom Clancy, but especially the Jack Ryan series
Or if you wanna go /pol/ack within that genre,
>Caliphate by Tom Kratman
>>
File: jugshrug.png (138 KB, 516x379) Image search: [Google]
jugshrug.png
138 KB, 516x379
>>684200972
Not that guy, but I, too, think it's shit. The writing style just rubbed me the wrong way. I can't place exactly how, it just did. I like the concept and such, but I couldn't get through the first chapter.
>>
OP have you read It?
>>
Thirteen Reasons Why, Jay Asher
Really good book for feels

The Tragedy Paper, can't remember auth
Also good book for feels
>>
>>684200671
I always wanted to read Enders Game, but never got to it, before inadvertently taking a bunch of my nieces & nephews in to see a movie & winding up seeing it instead.

Kind of killed any interest I had in wanting to read it.
Same with PKD stories.
>>
>>684184722
Read John Dies At The End. I flew through that book and laughed my ass off.
>>
>>684201372
Dude. All 15 books in that series are beyond amazing, imo
>>
>>684184722
Ender's Game is on the longer side but certainly worth it
>>
>>684184722
Read Jack Vance's Dying Earth books. That's where D&D lifted most of its ideas about magic. They will give both you vocabulary and imagination a good wookout.
>>
>>684200940
>its literally on the pic OP posted
learn to read before posting in a novel thread
>>
>>684187973

His asshole is a two-car garage.
>>
>>684186289

Definitely a good book. Captain Tripps is some scary shit.
>>
What if you want to write? Any recommendation there...beyond the generic read widely or read what interests you? I've heard one of the rules of writing is Read. Read. Read. I struggle with it sometimes.
>>
read warbreaker by brandon , if you liked the way of kings youll really like it, also i am almost done with this book called THE NAME OF THE WIND. its really good to, might be more what you are looking for.
>>
>>684200671
Blood Meridian is extremely bleak. The violence is stark, and so is the prose. Thematically, very important. I highly doubt you read the whole of the book and came to this conclusion.

Dune is either fantastic or terrible. Saying it's 'ok' means you've probably never read it.

'Overrated' is code for 'I have never read it but don't want anyone to confront me on this fact' which is sad because of ow easy that read is.

Hitchhiker's Guide is indeed great. Do you like the part about the Tralfamadorians or the Krikkit robots more? The trick to flying is to throw yourself at the ground and then spread your wings and pump, amirite?

Steven King is a fairly mediocre author but he has a diverse bibliography with dozens of styles and genres... So this critique is pretty hollow
>>
Out of the silent planet? I thought that was pretty good
>>
Come on really
>the catcher in the rye
>American psycho
>the shining
>a nightmare on elm street: ripped from a dream
>full metal jacket
>>
>>684201340
Thirteen reasons why was shit. Having it from Clay's perspective is dumb, since his reaction is a normal one, what Asher wants the reader to feel. It would have been interesting to have Brice or Courtney be the main character, since it sets up either a redemption arc or watching them unravel
>>
File: 51FDQlLeBkL[1].jpg (61 KB, 306x500) Image search: [Google]
51FDQlLeBkL[1].jpg
61 KB, 306x500
>>
>>684187973
I can't get a fucking 3" neck of a bottle up there without it feeling like getting gored by a bull.

I can't imagine how long it took to maneuver that dudes sphincter & intestines into the configuration necessary to make that possible.

Eh. Could be worth it though. I guess I wouldn't know.
>>
>>684184722
Dune isn't even remotely an easy read, but they get easier as they go down the line. Unfortunately Frank's son just totally raped the franchise once he took over.
>>
Anyone else read The Forever War? Kind of a War / Sci Fi mix. It's by Joe Haldeman.
>>
>>684201642
Read, but write more. Never throw anything away. If you don't like it, put it down for a month, go on to something else, then come back and edit. Never stop producing. You'll be surprised at how much better you become.
>>
>>684184722
Codex Alera and Dresden Files
>>
pretend the movies don't exist and read the bourne identity, supremacy and ultimatum
>>
>>684201256
okay. i can understand that. i kept with it because i liked the concept and do agree that the writing was a little weak. it had a bit of a lull in the middle, but i thought it was fun.
>>
File: tumblr_ma9pe9QUUf1ru44ono1_500.jpg (32 KB, 500x587) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ma9pe9QUUf1ru44ono1_500.jpg
32 KB, 500x587
>>684184722
HAVE YOU HEARD OF "A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE" BY GEORGE R.R.R.R.R.R.R.R.R..R.R.R.R.R.R.R.R.R.R.R.R..R MARTIN, GOON SIRE?
>>
>>684201490
Enders game is 15 books ?

Was the kids movie just the first book, or did it condense & spoil the entire saga?
>>
>>684184722
any Kurt Vonnegut
>>
The catcher in the rye is the only novel I can read over and over and not get bored of reading versus any other book I've ever read I can only read once and not ever pick it back up. I'll always pick up the catcher in rye.
>>
File: 40304[1].jpg (41 KB, 289x475) Image search: [Google]
40304[1].jpg
41 KB, 289x475
>>
>>684184722
I'd vouch for a few of these but don't waste your time with The Stand.
>>
>>684193422
The Dresden Files is easily one of the best series I've ever read, seconded.
>>
>>684194369
i was about to type it but i wanted to make sure. OP thats 4 people recommending you this book, its pretty damn good
>>
>>684202212
How about you go dig a hole and put yourself in it.
>>
File: image.gif (210 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
210 KB, 320x240
>>684201985
I worry about the health implications of altering your guts like this.

Let's face it. You can live without your breasts, uterus, cock and balls, missing a few fingers and toes is not the end of the world, but you use your intestines and asshole every day and it's best if it works as intended.
>>
>>684184722
Foreigner by CJ Cherrryh isn't bad, I enjoyed it
Reading Dune right now, pretty good
Timothy Zahn has written son good sci-fi with Cobra
The Dresden Files are nice filler books
>>
>>684184722

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20499652-bluescreen
>>
File: 81uiGyQP67L.jpg (424 KB, 1400x2259) Image search: [Google]
81uiGyQP67L.jpg
424 KB, 1400x2259
>>684202001
I hated the Forever War. I appreciate the disillusionment that Vietnam vets felt, but I thought the way Haldman expressed that (everyone is GAY now! why did I even go to war!) boring and regressive. Old Man's War by Jon Scalzi was a better execution of a similar concept, IMO.
>>
>>684202229
Just the first one. The rest of the saga gets crazier as it goes on. Hell, Speaker for the Dead (the second/third book in the series, along the Ender path) is freaky from the beginning, and that's the tip of the iceberg.
>>
>>684186822
>Perdido Street Station by China Mieville

concur but The City and the City is Mieville's best
>>
File: snow-crash[1].jpg (205 KB, 450x600) Image search: [Google]
snow-crash[1].jpg
205 KB, 450x600
>>
>>684187593
Fuck yea, best series
Thread replies: 294
Thread images: 43

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site. This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.