Navigation: /b/ - Random [Archive] | Search | [Home]
RandomArchive logo

So, /b/... I've tried really hard, I've struggled,

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 10
File: hobo-jpg.jpg (17 KB, 240x276) Image search: [Google]
hobo-jpg.jpg
17 KB, 240x276
So, /b/...
I've tried really hard, I've struggled, I haven't evne eaten like a normal person for the last two weeks... but I'm still 200 dollars short for my rent, so tomorrow I'm being thrown out.
Luckily at least I'll have a little bit of money to eat, but...

How to live on the street advice thread?
>>
>>682711767
bump
>>
I've never lived on the street, but I have a half-decent idea of the places where i can go to sleep and where I can find cheap food.

What I'm looking for is some kind of advice that's not "obvious", stuff I might run into without expecting it and therefore being unprepared.

And anything you think would be good advice of course.
>>
ah well
better start packing anyway
>>
File: 1461381889320.jpg (138 KB, 500x712) Image search: [Google]
1461381889320.jpg
138 KB, 500x712
Donate plasma.find a church that gives out food on certain days.start looking into homeless shelters. I was inyour situation not too long ago. Best of luck anon.
>>
>>682712861
>Donate plasma
I looked into that, but I've had a blood transfusion about 6 months ago (part of the reason why I've got no money) so I can't do that...

But will certainly check out the rest, TY
>>
File: 1460948420604.jpg (52 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1460948420604.jpg
52 KB, 640x480
Pack a book bag with essentials only. Leave the rest of your stuff at a friends house, family, or somewhere in the woods(if you have woods nearby). Parking lots make great places to crash, especially on the top floors of stairs.
>>
>>682711767
Scout out a location. Go around 3 am or so, and if you dont see anybody sleeping there, thats probably a good spot.
you'll need a backpack or something to carry your stuff around.
a sleeping bag - lightweight
smartphone for wifi
a lightweight laptop or ipad to send out resumes
a couple.pair of jeans shirts lots sock/underwear
plastic waterbottle, I use 1 qt cranberry juice
Grooming essentials

At night, get cardboard to insulate yourself from the ground, if you have a tarp it would be good to keep dew off you
dont encapsulate yourself in plastic the condesate will freeze around the edges and you'll suffocate

the 99c stores and goodwill will be your friend. Dont waste energy toting your ps2 around, etc.
>>
>>682713249
I moved abroad a couple years ago and I don't really have any close friend here. It wouldn't really matter anyway, because I had to sell basically everything aside from my clothes. If I had a friend nearby I'd crash at his place.

I'm honestly thinking of walking for the 1800 miles (roughly) to get back home... I'd trade the clothes for an extra pair of shoes and just walk...
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-15-09-41-45.jpg (41 KB, 318x422) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-15-09-41-45.jpg
41 KB, 318x422
Best advice is if you don't have family or friends to stay with. Check in at a homeless shelter and look for a job doing anything. No money=no way of getting out of your ordeal. Where you live at anon?
>>
>>682711767
Go to reddit and search homeless lots of threads and advice
>>
>>682713641
thanks
just curious: why 3 am? do hobos have a different schedule or something? :D
>>
File: KIMG0728.jpg (1 MB, 1920x2560) Image search: [Google]
KIMG0728.jpg
1 MB, 1920x2560
1800 miles=months and months of walking. You're better off getting a greyhound ticket
>>
File: KIMG0725.jpg (329 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
KIMG0725.jpg
329 KB, 720x1280
Essential clothing are jeans and a light jacket. Also bug repellant. Also a pocket knife for protection
>>
File: 1460936805017.jpg (54 KB, 599x587) Image search: [Google]
1460936805017.jpg
54 KB, 599x587
>>682713999
If at 3 am there's no one taking up that spot then its prob a good place to crash. Depending on where its at of course. Also look for abandoned houses.
>>
>>682713999
No, lets say you see a spot at 11pm, you set up your camp. Turns out someone already "claims" that spot. It could lead to violence. If the dude aint bigger than you he'll wait til your asleep and bash you over the head. All in all, if you notice that a place is not taken by 3 am it probably safe to claim as your own.

also, where are you located at?
>>
>>682711767
Usually open markets (like in the italian district of a city) will either throw away or sell food at very low prices because it is going to spoil soon.
>>
>>682714386
A large stick is better than a knife. But if you do, make sure its small enuf that the cops dont consider it a concealed weapon and give you a reason to pop you for a felony and put your ass behind bars
>>
>>682711767
I spent a year homeless, living in a tent, and I've been homeless repeatedly over the last 30 years due to severe clinical depression. My best advice is to squat. Boil your possessions down to a single backpack, since you'll have to carry everything with you everywhere you go or risk losing everything. If you can afford it, get a little camping stove; if not, make a hobo stove (instructions can be found on YouTube) for the cost of a can of Coke.

If you want to find a good squat, get to know the local street kids. They usually know where the best and safest squats are, and if you're not a creep they may even let you into their street family. A street family means safety and someone to watch your back while you sleep.

From my own experience, unless you have a really expensive one, it's better to have a bedroll than a sleeping bag; it's warmer, more versatile, and rolls up smaller (and can be tied to the outside of your backpack, saving space). Don't carry a pillow; take a pillow case and stuff it with clothing when you sleep.

You'll also want to bring some reading material. Sounds strange, I know, but the worst part of homelessness is boredom. Get a nice, thick book that you don't mind reading over and over again. I took the Bible and the complete set of Lord of the Rings with me on the road.

You may also want to invest in a solar shower if you plan to be homeless for a while and don't have access to a shower through a gym membership or a friend who'll let you use one. Once you start to stink, you're stuck on the street *forever*.

Good luck.
>>
>>682711767
Also, copy all important documents, like birth certificate drivers license, ss card, etc. Scan them and make a folder on your web mail account so that you can access from anywhere.

also, while you have an address open a p.o.box, because its hard to open w.o. a physical address cuz of 9/11.
>>
>>682716463
I second this, I used a bedroll for quite a while, til a scrapper thought I was cold and gave me one night.
>>
>>682716463
Get a Kindle.
Also if you're just sitting there why not be getting a job
>>
>>682716463
>>682716473
thenaks everyone guys, i was reading that subreddit about homelessness, I think I'll invest what little I have...

Yes I know 1800 miles is a lot but fuck it, if it has to be like this, at least I could make it an adventure...
>>
>>682716983
Hey, maybe you could write a book or call a tv station about your 1800 mile journey. They might pay you aswell.
>>
File: ManhattanProjects_v1_HC.jpg (72 KB, 603x900) Image search: [Google]
ManhattanProjects_v1_HC.jpg
72 KB, 603x900
lol no one gives a flying fuck you should just kill yourself I mean fuck you trying to make us feel bad for you we all got problems bitch I got ninety nine problems but the shit you bitching about aint one nigga
>>
>>682711767
A library card. If you dont have one get one. Its a great break from boredom, they have free wi-fi.

Might be a good idea to research food banks, homeless shelters, general relief office, welfare office.
>>
File: 14624214335332040079759.jpg (687 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
14624214335332040079759.jpg
687 KB, 2048x1152
>>682711767
200 dollar? How much is that in real money? Could help you out
>>
>>682716950
A Kindle requires power. A book does not. A Kindle can get pawned for crack. A book will not. Pretty clear you've never been homeless.
>>
>>682711767
Are you that guy from AskReddit yesterday?
>>
>>682711767
OP, just because you might become homeless, do not forget money is still circulating, you'll be needing it.
with all the free time, find a job, people live off of minimum wage, i don't see why you can't, esp. if you're not paying anything.
when you start making money and getting back on your feet, start a new life there.
just remember,
>all humans must go through at least one big dark down alley in life, and it could be anything.
>>
>>682717354
>nigger in 8th grade
>>
Gym membership bitch! They got showers, and potable water. So that won't be a worry. I had one for 10 dollars a month. If you beg that's easy to come up with monthly. From there meet people, and slowly get help from them. Or if you're somewhat attractive, meet a decent lonely girl, give her your sob story of how you lost it all in a tragic way, and if she bites she'll let you crash at her place. I lived with a girl for 4 months rent free this way. Also, if you wanna make it out, don't be stupid and spend all your money or any for that matter in lottery/alcohol/cigarettes.
>>
>>682717823
Homeless for five years.homeless right now, nigger
>>
>>682717823
you can charge it at any fast food area, any library, any supermarket, almost anywhere tbh where a city is nearby or shops are.
>>
>>682716983
I thought you were kidding about the 1800 miles. You can't realistically do that in your condition. Assuming you walk 30ish miles a day (and that's not entirely a reasonable assumption since you likely won't be nourished very well and fatigue will set in), it would take 2 months, assuming you never took a rest day. Not to mention that fact that since you're always mobile, you won't be able to get your bearings and know where good spots to sleep, get food/water etc.
>>
>>682717961
Probably
>>
File: image.gif (905 KB, 208x231) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
905 KB, 208x231
>>682718448
>homeless with a smartphone
>>
>>682717743
174.18EUR according to my math
>>
>>682718839
Why is that so hard for people to get over? You dont need a cell plan, you use the free wi-fi. My samsung Note 2 was 75$ but I use it for endless mp3 and browsing the web and the battery life is tremendous
>>
>>682718839
Kys nigger
>>
>>682715441

Not just open-air markets, but possibly also restaurants, supermarkets, and some fast-food places (e.g. Subway). Haven't tried it myself, but one of my acquaintances (trying to support a family on very low income) will sometimes walk around his neighborhood's restaurant block around closing time, asking if he can take whatever they are throwing away. That includes not only leftover food which is made in bulk (e.g. soup) but perishables like bread, eggs, etc.

Common sense says that respect is key for this to work. Don't waltz through a restaurant full of patrons enjoying their meals when you haven't showered in a week, yelling for free food, and expect to be welcomed back.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 10

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site. This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.