Navigation: /b/ - Random [Archive] | Search | [Home]
RandomArchive logo

GENERAL TIME TRAVEL THREAD me and my friend are talking about

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 11
File: 1445552627123.jpg (307 KB, 719x1111) Image search: [Google]
1445552627123.jpg
307 KB, 719x1111
GENERAL TIME TRAVEL THREAD

me and my friend are talking about possibilities to travel into future or back in time?

would that be possible?

my opinion is that if we would travel with the speed of light at space, we could travel into future but its just becouse the time would pass slower for us when we would be traveling, but then returning back in our time wouldnt be possible and we would be stuck in this "future" we traveled to

whatsdo you think?
>>
bumping the thread, noone wants to disscus?
>>
>>675080239
you can likely only travel into the future and at normal speed. you could freeze yourself cryogenically and skip time however so youll wake farther into the future.
>>
>>675080239
Well there are particles that move FTL, so if you hitch a ride on those fuckers and spin around the earth a few dozen times, you'll stop in the Judge Dredd!
>>
>>675081201
i was talking about traveling to future and then returning backto your time. >>675081538
but still, you cant return back to your time then
>>
>>675080239

I don't think time travel is possible that sense. The conventional back to the future sense.

The way I see it:
One day we'll have a computer so powerful that it will calculate everything. Every movement, every event (small and large), every single position of everything, all the variables needed for that to get there and this to get there, etc etc. Just a computer that calculates the entire history of our planet and possibly the universe.

Then you have that data. And you could oculus rift into the actual past. go whenever and wherever. you wouldn't be able to 'change' the course of history, because you're just looking at a program basically...but I personally think that's the way time travel will eventually work...for going in the past at least.
>>
Time travel (as we know it) is only theoretically possible to the future, there can be no return.
>>
Entropy makes it impossible
>>
Speeding up to light speed would take too long cause g forces and stuff
>>
>>675082357
"Bullshit section of a phrase I heard but don't fully understand, please don't ask me to elaborate"
>>
well AFAIK there are several issues when it comes to time traveling

First of all is the arrow of time. There are three spatial dimensions which let us move to two opposite directions(lef-right, up-down closer-further). Itime is a dimensión too, but doesn't behave like the spatial ones. It seems like can only go in one direction in the temporal dimensión, into the future

Causality, one of the main elements of the arrow of time is the principle of causality, the cause-effect relation. If we could travel to time we would violate this principle since we could see the effect before the cause is born

and of course, to travel in time we must travel at the speed of light which of course means we need our mass to equal zero, becoming pure energy, and the go faster, meaning our mass would become a negative number, which is irrational
>>
>>675082283

What about traveling in space with speed of light. time would pass slowly for you, but course of time would be normal at earth. meanwhile for you it would be 1 month and on eartha year maybe?

>>675082440
well, its 30millions seconds with 1g force to caught up to speed of llight, so basiit theoretically be possible
>>
>>675081538
There are no such particles.
>>
>>675082283
then you are notraveling in time
>>
If it becomes possible to predict or manipulate the Higgs, would it then be possible? Because my extremely limited understanding is mass increases as you approach light speed, if the Higgs can be manipulated than maybe possible?
>>
>>675082605
I agree, but even if its the 50% speed of light we could reach it would still mean something? maybe it wouldnt go as fast as we could if we reached the speed of light so theoretically we would still go slower then the time passes on earth
>>
Travel forward in time, and new microbes and bacteria and whatever will kill you. Travel back in time and you'll bring the ones we have right now with you and you kill the rest of the world.

Don't travel through time.
>>
moving yourself is primitive shit when it comes to advance space/time travel, in the distant future we hope to move space around us instead which is how we'll achieve FTL travel and potentially make time travel possible

problem is energy production and consumption in order to do this
>>
>>675083038

because traveling to the past is impossible.

that is a logical solution that, because of exponentially growing computing power, I can see happening in a few decades.

as for traveling into the future...yeah...technically I suppose it's possible. travel at the speed of light for a while, come back to earth, you're technically in the future. but that's not "traveling in time" either.

there's no button pressing Marty McFly time travel reality, anon.
>>
>>675083197
Also, near gravitational pull, time goes slower. So, for instance, being 10km up in the air all your life, you will be younger then someone all his life on the ground.
Ofc this is only seconds, but it's a thing.
That's also why time around a black hole is slowed. 20 minutes near a black hole is 100x that in years for ppl far away.

>Inb4 interstellar fag
I knew this way before the movie.
>>
File: 1456117955890.jpg (54 KB, 1620x854) Image search: [Google]
1456117955890.jpg
54 KB, 1620x854
Time is a constant dot. It can't be moved but yes moving fast enough can give the illusion of time travel. However space is up for debate so you'd have to do it on earth just like flying in a circle or whatever.
>>
>>675080239
No time travel buddy, sorry.

Now you >>could<< go off in a pocket universe, which would seem like you're back in time but this timeline I'm sorry. You fags will never get laid, unless you fuck each other.
>>
There"s no time. There is materia that changes, and become different
>>
>>675083599
Not only do my dubz speak the truth, my farts are brutal
>>
>>675083110
that's a good question, correct me If I'm wrong but it would happen something ala Interstellar, where time would be percieved fastee for an external viewer and slower for you, so you would percieve ike minutes just passdd away while any external viewer would percieve years, but you would have never have traveñed in future, just a different time speed,

to say you travel to the future, you need to see things before they happen, for example smoke before the fire starts mmm Maybe a better example... you could see a baseball player hit the ball before the ball was thrown, which violates causality

check out the twin brothers paradox, it gives an explanation way better than me
>>
> not just hitting the universal rewind button
>>
>>675082989
of course there are

you can tunnel light to make it ftl for example. use Google and educate yourself anon.
>>
>>675082283
I like this idea better than physically going back and just fucking it all up. We all know the hall of cost was a lie
>>
>>675083751
will look uo this twin berother paradox and yeah that abiut fire, hm... its good question or saying you got me there
>>
>>675080239
when you travel by speed of light, you will go back in time actually. there is no way to travel into the future, because right now you are already travelling into the future, but very slow. when you get closer to the speed of light the slower time will pass for you, and when you reach lightspeed, it will be like time froze because you will travel with the things happening. when you go faster you will go to parts where the light of present has to come yet so you will look at the past
i suck at explaining tho
>>
>>67508
The way I see it:
One day we'll have a computer so powerful that it will calculate everything. Every movement, every event (small and large), every single position of everything, all the variables needed for that to get there and this to get there, etc etc. Just a computer that calculates the entire history of our planet and possibly the universe

>>675082283

check out Laplace's demon, it deals exactly with your hipothetic computer
>>
>>675082283
Quantum mechanics won't alow you to count the universe. There is just probability.

>>675082440
>>675082909
Matter can travel only at sub-light speed.

>>675082605
>It seems like can only go in one direction
That's might be just how we perceive it.
>>
>>675083751
so I could swallow all the Sperm without touching the cock?
>>
>>675080239
Theoretically, if you could take a rotating cylinder of infinite length, you could bend light cones around it in such a way that some would fold back on the way it had come. So you could peer into the past - and if you had a vehicle that could travel around the cylinder at sufficient speed you could travel to those sections of spacetime.

Potentially, you could do this without a cylinder of infinite length, so long as you could spin the cylinder up to sufficient speeds, but this hasn't been confirmed.

Google Tipler Cylinders.

I spent a few days going into time travel theory for a short story I wrote about a time-travelling brothel. I wanted it to at least sound legit, considering I had a t-rex bumping uglies with French serfs and eating Hitler as major plot points.
>>
>>675082283
in few words (as I understood at 5 am) there are quite few problems with your machine

>>675083937
well FTL in the void? not even the neutrino which was thought to be the first ever registered in an experimenr

>>675083970
but it cannot be done. check out Laplace's demon

>>675084442
whatever floats your boat man
>>
right now timetravel is impossible.

maybe in a few hundred years we will find a way, nobody knows.
a few hundred years ago people thought the sun is spinning around a flat earth... who knows, maybe we are completely wrong when it comes to science and the future humans will laugh at us. never say never.
>>
>>675084654
>infinite
how do we fathom it?

I hate theories that starts like that
>>
>>675080239
you keep going forward until you're back in the same time you left.

>>675084654
thanks for the book idea
>>
>>675084878
>a few hundred
yeah like 8 hundred+
>>
File: worm hole mutha-fuckers.jpg (67 KB, 674x450) Image search: [Google]
worm hole mutha-fuckers.jpg
67 KB, 674x450
>>675082355
Not so. A wormhole can join any 2 points in space-time. The problem would be getting through - either holding the 2 ends wide enough or converting someone in to a data stream and transmitting them.
>>
>>675084858
>Superluminares Tunneln

have fun. it's german but you will find something in your language
>>
I believe time traveling is exciting but not possible. The future is undefined simply because of the infinite amounts of possible outcomes ( I believe in multiple universes) the same as the past since there is multiple possibilities. So even if we build a super computer how exactly do we know which universe to land on? What would happen if you land in a universe where time travel was never invented? Also freezing yourself is technically time traveling yes but I think this thread is about time "jumping"
>>
>>675080239
If you're close enough to a large source of gravity, such as a block hole, you will move slower through time (as in everything around you is moving at relatively faster speed). Besides that, there aren't any other theories for time travel that can be proven. There are some leading theories, but the amount of energy required would be impossible to produce.
>>
>>675085376
We can't say whether or not the future is undefined.
>>
>>675085218
but travelling through worm holes isn't time travelling, is it?

you are bending the space-time, not going faster than itself
>>
>>675080239
If you travel back in time to meet the younger child you in the past, rape your young self in the ass, is that rape, homosexuality, pedophilia, incest or a combination of all that?
>>
>>675085218
A wormhole connects any two points in space, not space-time. If I go through a wormhole at 6:30pm on 3/21/2016, I'll come out the other side at 6:30pm on 3/21/2016 plus whatever the travel time through the wormhole was.
>>
>>675085010
Most of those sorts of theories are pie-in-the-sky "We've got these perfect conditions" deals. While it was thought a lesser cylinder than infinite length could do the job if spun up enough, no one ever bothered to do the math, because there's no practical application for the forseeable future. I'd figure that there could be regions of our universe where gravity may be able to interact with any such object, but to prove that this works as a real possibility would be centuries down the track, at the very least.

>>675085057
You're welcome. Three years on and I still haven't figured out how to finish it with the plot I set up. It was an experiment into erotic fiction for me at a family member's request.
>>
>>675080239
While it is true that as you approach the speed of light you are less affected by time -it seems to pass normally for you - but externally time is speeding by. BUT this take more and more energy - travelling AT the speed of light would take an infinite amount of energy and even then time would only stop for you. Meaning the universe outside would carry on, till entropy wins and the universe dies of old age.
>>
>>675081201
>likely
>travel at normal speed
>normal speed
do you even, bro?
>???
>profit
>>
>>675085572
In a sense yes and no. Our time line is defined up to now, as different outcomes appear, they become defined. but until it happens it keeps splitting into infinite outcomes. Unless you believe in one time line and one possible outcome then youre saying that our future is defined and therefore nothing can be changed.
>>
File: yfw.jpg (26 KB, 498x412) Image search: [Google]
yfw.jpg
26 KB, 498x412
>>675085616
>yfw
>>
>>675085680
space and time are not different things - just different points. There is no reason why these have to be at the same time. Just as there is no reason why they have to be at the same place.
>>
>>675085885
Traveling at the speed of light would not stop time. It would appear to go slower, but not stop. If time were to truly stop at the moment of light speed, it would mean that light would be able to travel from one point to another instantly, which it does not.
>>
File: 1445552433591.jpg (194 KB, 745x880) Image search: [Google]
1445552433591.jpg
194 KB, 745x880
>>675085685
>>675085885

OP here. Even thought any of the teories about time travel would work, we still need to include that space is changing all the time. how could we travel back in time or intu future? wouldnt we just end up somewhere in space? earth position is changing all the time, isnt it?
>>
>>675083937
Go read a book.
You're arguing that light travels faster than light.
>>
>>675086071
That's something that isn't known to us, and until we have a better understanding of how time works, we cannot and will not know. It hasn't been proven or disproven, so I'm not saying your wrong, but I'm not saying your right either.
>>
>>675086245
Only relatively - the person travelling AT the speed of light would experience no passing of time. Outside the the universe would carry on normally. This is the essence of relativity.
>>
>>675085609
>you are bending the space-time
Well... theoretically if you are bending space-time, you could put the other end of the hole not few meters away, but few years.
>>
>>675086573
Exactly - I'm glad someone understands. I was beginning to think only 18yo burger-flippers were giving their (less than) 2cents worth.
>>
>>675082283
no you can't because of quantum "spookiness".
Could elaborate a little but can't be arsed so belive me
>>
>>675086295
relative to what exactly?
>>
>>675086133
Space is an area on a map, a coordinate. It isn't a moment in time, but a point in the universe. I can place a point on space, but it will not indicate a period in time.

Time is at the moment of an event. I can place the whole universe at a specific moment in time, but it does not include a specific location within the universe.

Space-time is both the location and the moment of a particular object. With space, I can tell you where I will be, but not when. With time I can tell you when, but not where. With space-time I can tell you exactly where, and exactly when.

A wormhole connects two points in space, not two points in space time. So I can travel from here to the other side of the universe instantly, but I will not go forwards or backwards through time, only at the normal rate at which I was traveling.
>>
>>675080239

I think it may be possible but I'm not sure if this is correct.

Say I could travel a great distance in a small period of time. If I traveled far enough away from Earth and then traveled back wouldn't time be different for Earth and myself....

So if I went far enough for like a week that when I returned to earth like a year has past.

So then do it for a year my time and then 100 years pass?
>>
>>675086499
They would experience the passing of time, it would just be incredibly slow. Imagine it like this, if time were to stop when I was traveling at the speed of light it would mean I could go from the sun to the earth and for outside observers it would appear as instant teleportation. That isn't true, light takes 8 minutes to reach earth.
>>
>>675086850

for example you travel back in time from 21. March 2016 to 21. March 1990 the earth will not be in same position as it was at 2016 so, we would just end up somewhere in space or?
>>
>>675086295
Possibly. I haven't read anything that would suggest that, but seeing as the universe expands, I'd say that your point of exit and entrance would be relatively the same spot. Unless you had something that moved you physically, your vectors would translate to the corresponding location wherever you exited.

The more interesting question is, a Tipler cylinder doesn't preclude the possibility of being able to create a grandfather paradox - but while you could travel back in time, I'd think you'd need a Tipler cylinder in your new frame to be able to travel back to your time. Going forward would be okay, since the cylinder would still exist (assuming that something of iinfinite length is going to be fuckhard to destroy)
>>
>>675086990

obv. 52 years pass, you idiot.
>>
>>675086902
This is a Newtonian view of nature. If I want fries, I'll ask for them, thanks.
>>
File: 1457635249816.jpg (23 KB, 458x380) Image search: [Google]
1457635249816.jpg
23 KB, 458x380
>>675085218
Wormholes doesnt exist. Its a Mathematical princip.
>>
>>675087079
Good thinking, but carry on to the end.
>>
File: anX9x8n_460sa_v1.gif (1 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
anX9x8n_460sa_v1.gif
1 MB, 400x225
it is impossible, since the whole space is moving.
the Earth does not return in the same position...
>>
>>675086902
>So I can travel from here to the other side of the universe instantly
I just want to correct myself, you wouldn't travel from here to across the other side of the universe instantly, it would take a period of time to traverse the wormhole, but it would take a very long distance and make it relatively short.
>>
>>675087512
This.
>>
File: 1456815856384.png (644 KB, 537x535) Image search: [Google]
1456815856384.png
644 KB, 537x535
>>675080239
the closer you travel to the speed of light the slower time travels relative to you. you would continue to age while time everywhere else continued. when you stopped moving it would be the same time as when you hit that speed. think about a clock thats numbers read 6:05. the light reading that moves to your eyes and you begin moving at that speed. even if you moved at it for a year, when you stopped that light would catch up and it woul be 6:05 but you would be a year older. not a perfect metaphor because you would be to far away to see that clock but its the same principle
>>
>>675087330
You're the one who implied I could go through a wormhole and appear at another point in time that varied from my own (excluding arriving at gravitational sources that varied greatly from my own).
>>
>>675086781
Thank you anon. I understant, but don't believe this could work. If it was possible our universe would be broken and could not sustain life based around cause and effect system.

The only way for creatures that function in this time dimension to travel it in a different than the default speed is to be cut and pased by a force outside this dimension.

...or If you'd rather go with a joke:
freeze yourself - travel forward in time
freeze everybody else - travel back
>>
>>675087079
The point is time will move slower at the speed of light, but it wouldn't stop.
>>
>>675080239

It will only be possible when you can materialize imagination.
You can imagine yourself orbiting the sun right now but it takes 8,5 minutes for the sun light to reach us. Therefore your imagination went faster than the speed of light.
Once you are able to materialize imagination you can travel in time.
Mankind won't achieve that in its actual form.
>>
>>675087413
This (>>675088298) was meant for you
>>
>>675087080
I understand what you wrote. I am asking, what you consider the hmm nonchanging space coordinates?
>we would just end up somewhere in space
Then where exactly? Relative to Sun, galaxy, galaxy cluster?
If you go back to the beginning, everything would be in one spot.
>>
File: 1762103.png (70 KB, 280x368) Image search: [Google]
1762103.png
70 KB, 280x368
>>675080239
the only way to travel backwards in town is to set a static point where time and light don't move. a black hole comes to mind put the gravity would kill any organic life. little do ppl know tha the only thing that bends time/space better than gravity is light itself. a spiral of high intensity lasers bending space/time into a singularity woul create a point of return. you wouldnt be able to go any further back than when you built it but it is possible
>>
>>675088376
seriously...
>>
>>675086499
>>675087079

What you are missing is that matter can't travel at the speed of light. It could theoretically travel ALMOST at the speed of light.
>>
>>675089206

Not dumber than all that precedes
>>
File: 6_nasaspacescapes_0014_15.jpg (751 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
6_nasaspacescapes_0014_15.jpg
751 KB, 1920x1200
>>675089031
I remember reading about this method and it intrigued me the most. If light was formed into a spiral and you were inside a pod that emitted light of its own and shot down the middle of the spiral fast enough you'll travel x period of time.

I just wonder how the length of the spiral of light and speed at which your being shot down it correlates with how far in time you'll travel.

While a very compelling theory, I heard this method would take an immense amount of energy to work. I wonder if it would be possible for humans to produce. And if we did, it would have to be running constantly.
>>
>>675089399
Very well understood, but it would be impossible for time to stop in any sense. That would require every atom, every electron, every quark to stop vibrating, at which point the whole universe would be void of all heat.
>>
>>675089399
The speed of light can't melt steel travel.
>>
>>675086298
yes. you can make light even faster, 3 - 4 times of lightspeed. ftl is possible. and now check my dubs and cry in a corner.
>>
Did you see that? My brother was on the steps wearing rings with a single nose hair protruding nostril ostrich cardboard box passage eclipse destination socket Boulder uranus
>>
>>675091282
Holy squares! He flogger the ostrich? I tell you what, if my brother stepped over a dishwasher in July, I haven't gone to the movie theaters, too much butterscotch urinal cakes.
>>
>>675091543
Motor oil coup sneaker auxiliary corn chip zygote nano spasm!
>>
File: neet kings.jpg (717 KB, 720x1169) Image search: [Google]
neet kings.jpg
717 KB, 720x1169
>>675080239
if you want to go back in time all you have to do is travel at the speed of dark
>>
>>675091260
Relatively
Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 11

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site. This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.